HD wax - the results - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 34 Old 01-05-09 Thread Starter
Status: enjoying a delightful rusty oil facial
AO Silver Member
 
kernowmcrae's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cornwall
Posts: 1,154
AutoGlym HD wax - the results

Sure one or two of you, like me, were waiting for someone to try this stuff and report back before shelling out - the opportunity arose to "borrow" some this evening, so Rachel got to work with a bit of "help" from me!

This is paint prepped with Zymol HD Cleanse, followed by a single coat of AutoGlym HD wax - wheels are treated with MINI Seal and Protect, and AutoSmart tyre and rubber stuff..)

Apologies about the lack of outside photos - kinda got dark! Sure i'll report back with a couple more tomorrow evening.

The wax goes on and comes off as easily as any other, and the applicator makes it pretty foolproof - comparing it to Zymol Ital, i'd say application is the same, and the protection seems similar - we'll wait for a sunny day but it's certainly as glossy indoors!

"molto costoso ed emozionante"

If the haynes museum find any nuts attached to a fence, Hammy'd like em back..

Last edited by kernowmcrae; 02-05-09 at 08:00.
kernowmcrae is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Smallville
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: HD wax - the results

Where are the pictures fella?

I have used HD Wax before and I was very happy with the results
 
(Post Link) post #3 of 34 Old 01-05-09 Thread Starter
Status: enjoying a delightful rusty oil facial
AO Silver Member
 
kernowmcrae's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cornwall
Posts: 1,154
Re: HD wax - the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
Where are the pictures fella?

I have used HD Wax before and I was very happy with the results
wondered how long it would be before someone said that! (Uploading them now, takes ages!! )
kernowmcrae is offline  
(Post Link) post #4 of 34 Old 01-05-09 Thread Starter
Status: enjoying a delightful rusty oil facial
AO Silver Member
 
kernowmcrae's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cornwall
Posts: 1,154
Re: HD wax - the results

here are a couple of photos - I'll post all of them in the images lounge!

(trying to squeeze them under the 100kb limit...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HD wax7.jpg (88.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg HD wax8.jpg (88.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg HD wax26.jpg (85.9 KB, 59 views)
kernowmcrae is offline  
Smallville
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: HD wax - the results

That does look stunning fella!!!!

But did you know that you can upload bigger pictures using the img tag
 
(Post Link) post #6 of 34 Old 01-05-09 Thread Starter
Status: enjoying a delightful rusty oil facial
AO Silver Member
 
kernowmcrae's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cornwall
Posts: 1,154
Re: HD wax - the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
That does look stunning fella!!!!

But did you know that you can upload bigger pictures using the img tag
Just playing with photobucket now, will have a proper set in a mo!
kernowmcrae is offline  
Smallville
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: HD wax - the results

Ok koolies fella
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
Alfa_PiSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cornwall
Posts: 303
Re: HD wax - the results

lol!!!

Pics of the car look great, not so sure bout the one of me haha

Car came up a treat, looking forward to seeing it in the daylight tomoro.
Alfa_PiSky is offline  
Smallville
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: HD wax - the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernowmcrae View Post
here are a couple of photos - I'll post all of them in the images lounge!

(trying to squeeze them under the 100kb limit...
I just had a closer look at the pics and wow thats what I call I cleaning cuboard
 
(Post Link) post #10 of 34 Old 01-05-09 Thread Starter
Status: enjoying a delightful rusty oil facial
AO Silver Member
 
kernowmcrae's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cornwall
Posts: 1,154
Re: HD wax - the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_PiSky View Post
lol!!!

Pics of the car look great, not so sure bout the one of me haha

Car came up a treat, looking forward to seeing it in the daylight tomoro.
looks like you live in that cupboard with the mop heads and polishes!
kernowmcrae is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Alfa_PiSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cornwall
Posts: 303
Re: HD wax - the results

Feel like i do sometimes!!!!
Alfa_PiSky is offline  
(Post Link) post #12 of 34 Old 01-05-09 Thread Starter
Status: enjoying a delightful rusty oil facial
AO Silver Member
 
kernowmcrae's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cornwall
Posts: 1,154
Re: HD wax - the results

Here's the rest of the Pics:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/just-...ml#post2609459
kernowmcrae is offline  
Status: 0.9 turbo power....
AO Silver Member
 
p17sut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: United Kingdom
County: Fife
Posts: 3,221

Member car:

500 twinair

Re: HD wax - the results

Nice work, needing to try my pot of HD........wish I had indoor space like that for it though!
p17sut is offline  
(Post Link) post #14 of 34 Old 02-05-09 Thread Starter
Status: enjoying a delightful rusty oil facial
AO Silver Member
 
kernowmcrae's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cornwall
Posts: 1,154
Re: HD wax - the results

valet bays make life easier - you can clean whenever the moment takes you! As long as it's not hot, think the wax should go on fine, comes off like any proper wax - (Very "sticky" and needs buffing! )
kernowmcrae is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
GIZTO29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Tyne and Wear
Posts: 1,446
Re: HD wax - the results

Stunning finish and equally stunning car! Ive fell in love with them since i got my MiTo and joined this forum! Since you do this for a living could you maybe give me a comparison? At present im using AG Aquawax after AG Shampoo Conditioner and the car looks stunning and shiny. It also stays alot cleaner for the whole week whereas before it was caked in dust from the Ind Est i work in. What are the benefits of HD wax over Aquawax and whats the difference?
Have you tried Dodo Juice wax or others? Its alot to pay for such a product so i want as much feedaback as poss before i splurge the cash on it Also how many coverings would you get out of a tub do you reckon? In other words will it last for yonks?



http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29
GIZTO29 is offline  
(Post Link) post #16 of 34 Old 02-05-09 Thread Starter
Status: enjoying a delightful rusty oil facial
AO Silver Member
 
kernowmcrae's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cornwall
Posts: 1,154
Re: HD wax - the results

Just in case you don't see it anywhere else:

Must admit i'm not the Pro - Rachel the better half is - but i've used a fair few waxes over the years so should be able to make some comparions!

I have used the quick wax type stuff before, and of course provides a bit of gloss and water beading protection, but in my opinion spending a bit more time to apply a proper wax is well worth it.

I can compare the Autoglym to Zymol Ital, which is a hugely expensive (300 a tub?) carnauba wax - went on well, came off well, and left the car with a stunning finish - but at that price it's a bit mental!

The HD wax is more expensive than a bottle of turtle wax, but a very different product - we reckon at 25 quid, you'll pay a pound a time when you wax the car (It'll do 25/30 applications per pot) and at a wax a month, you'll have the same pot in two years time, so well worth it!
kernowmcrae is offline  
Smallville
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: HD wax - the results

Hey kernowmcrae,

I use Dodo Juice Purple Haze wax followed by Autoglym EGP and find it amazing, you'll see what I mean in my pictures that I posted. Have you ever used Dodo Juice?
 
(Post Link) post #18 of 34 Old 02-05-09 Thread Starter
Status: enjoying a delightful rusty oil facial
AO Silver Member
 
kernowmcrae's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cornwall
Posts: 1,154
Re: HD wax - the results

Can't say I have - always struggled to pick a "flavour"! Extra gloss protection is good - although on my darker colour always felt it looked a bit Clinical, not deep enough compared to a carnauba wax?
kernowmcrae is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
GIZTO29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Tyne and Wear
Posts: 1,446
Re: HD wax - the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernowmcrae View Post
Just in case you don't see it anywhere else:

Must admit i'm not the Pro - Rachel the better half is - but i've used a fair few waxes over the years so should be able to make some comparions!

I have used the quick wax type stuff before, and of course provides a bit of gloss and water beading protection, but in my opinion spending a bit more time to apply a proper wax is well worth it.

I can compare the Autoglym to Zymol Ital, which is a hugely expensive (300 a tub?) carnauba wax - went on well, came off well, and left the car with a stunning finish - but at that price it's a bit mental!

The HD wax is more expensive than a bottle of turtle wax, but a very different product - we reckon at 25 quid, you'll pay a pound a time when you wax the car (It'll do 25/30 applications per pot) and at a wax a month, you'll have the same pot in two years time, so well worth it!
Thats interesting you say 25 because ive only seen it for 40! Are you getting it trade or something? Also have you tried the AG Aquawax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
Hey kernowmcrae,

I use Dodo Juice Purple Haze wax followed by Autoglym EGP and find it amazing, you'll see what I mean in my pictures that I posted. Have you ever used Dodo Juice?
Ive seen your pics mate and the Dodo Juice seems great also! Thats why im considering it as its 13 cheaper than the HD Wax which is quite a difference. Dont get me wrong im not just going for price, but if people are thinking D J is the nuts and as good as HD Wax then it seems logical to go for that given the price. Hmmm, one thing i havnt checked is the volume of each tub.
GIZTO29 is offline  
Smallville
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: HD wax - the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZTO29 View Post
Thats interesting you say 25 because ive only seen it for 40! Are you getting it trade or something?


Ive seen your pics mate and the Dodo Juice seems great also! Thats why im considering it as its 13 cheaper than the HD Wax which is quite a difference. Dont get me wrong im not just going for price, but if people are thinking D J is the nuts and as good as HD Wax then it seems logical to go for that given the price. Hmmm, one thing i havnt checked is the volume of each tub.
Cheers fella

I use HD wax on my dads 147 and its perfectly good, I just fancied trying something different and never been happier with it
 
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
GIZTO29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Tyne and Wear
Posts: 1,446
Re: HD wax - the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
Cheers fella

I use HD wax on my dads 147 and its perfectly good, I just fancied trying something different and never been happier with it
Sorry mate, im gettin you mixed up with the Brera, ive just looked at a pic of a dark 147 outside a house....is that yours? The pics in your sig look better if you have them full size?
GIZTO29 is offline  
Smallville
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: HD wax - the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZTO29 View Post
Sorry mate, im gettin you mixed up with the Brera, ive just looked at a pic of a dark 147 outside a house....is that yours? The pics in your sig look better if you have them full size?
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/just-...cent-pics.html

Try those pictures and let me know what you think
 
(Post Link) post #23 of 34 Old 07-05-09 Thread Starter
Status: enjoying a delightful rusty oil facial
AO Silver Member
 
kernowmcrae's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cornwall
Posts: 1,154
Re: HD wax - the results

**UPDATE**

Just to say, washed the car for the first time last night after 600 miles or so - christ it's beading well!

Cleaned dead easily, and the flies just rinsed off.. mad!
kernowmcrae is offline  
Smallville
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: HD wax - the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernowmcrae View Post
**UPDATE**

Just to say, washed the car for the first time last night after 600 miles or so - christ it's beading well!

Cleaned dead easily, and the flies just rinsed off.. mad!
Did you dry the car and put anything on after?
 
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
GIZTO29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Tyne and Wear
Posts: 1,446
Re: HD wax - the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
Did you dry the car and put anything on after?
Yeh, what process do you use after your main wax? Im like a sponge at the minute soaking up all these tips!
GIZTO29 is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
results , wax

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome