Wash mit, micro cloth & Aqua Wax - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 30-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Wash mit, micro cloth & Aqua Wax

On previous cars I've always used a sponge & chamois leather, but taking advice from this forum I decided to give the sheepskin wash mitt & micro fibre cloth a go. Can't believe how much quicker I can now wash & dry the car; just wish I'd tried it ages ago.

Anyway, thought I'd give AG Aqua Wax a try. After adding copious amounts of the stuff to each panel I can't say I was impressed -I have a 147GTA in Brilliant Blue & it just seemed to look dull. Anyway today I decided to read the label & (doooh) realised you aren't meant to put much on & should polish it afterwards ! I'm not sure why I thought any different, but the metallic now shines & it's saved me loads of time.

For anyone not using a sheepskin mitt, micro fibre cloth or Aqua Wax you really should change, even if it's just to save time.

147 GTA 3.2 V6 24v - Brilliant Blue, Black Leather, Scorpion exhaust, 18" multispokes & a lot of polish !
"The track is my canvas. My car is my pencil" -Graham Hill

Last edited by madBLUE; 30-04-09 at 21:34.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Re: Wash mit, micro cloth & Aqua Wax

Aye!

Having said that, I'm not convinced about the "bad press" the humble chamois gets... I think to myself, a car has been washed thoroughly, with a 2-bucket and a wash mitt .. how can the chammy' put marks in it?

Washing is proabably the most important step. No grit left on there = no swirls... but the tendency (I bet) is for most people to whizz through the washing stage, so they can then get the "sexy stuff" - the gadgets, polishes and potions - out..

I bought a Foamaster foam gun, clear bucket (rinse) to go with my normal bucket... and a mitt. Chammy stays for the time being!

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Platinum Member

County: -

The aqua wax is great from AG.
SR got me onto it and never looked back.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

I still use a chamois for all the potentially dirty parts (door jams, underneath the doors, round the inside of the boot, under the side sills and inside the engine compartment)

I keep my waffle weave for the flat parts which show scratches.

I must admit I have never tried AG Aqua as I use a Quick Detailer which I spritz on while I am drying the car.

just remember when your wheels have been cleaned wax them too that will save u a huge amount of time next time...
AO Silver Member

County: Fife

Member car:

500 twinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
I must admit I have never tried AG Aqua as I use a Quick Detailer which I spritz on while I am drying the car.
Aqua Wax is effectively just a quick detailer to aid drying with more wax in, if your car is well waxed anyway a normal detailer spray of some sort will be ideal.

I still own a chamois or 2 but havent used them for ages, microfibres are cheap enough so I've built up a good collection for various jobs!
AO Platinum Member

County: Fareham, Hants

I use AQ aqua. Which mitt, and where from? I also use micro fibre as well.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Wash Mits (Sheepskin, Microfibre or Chenille) are readily available from most factors but especially the detailing websites/on-line shops.

You guys in the UK are spoilt for choice.
AO Silver Member

County: Fife

Member car:

500 twinair

Adsa had micro-fibre noodle mitts for a couple of quid last time I was in, already got one that I use instead of the fluffy sheepskin type.....but I should have got another one!
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Tesco do a good MF Mitt for 2.96. S Rosso gave me the tip for that one
I have to say performance wise the Meguairs Water Magnet MF drying cloth i bought from Halfords is miles better than the Supagurad chamois i have. Its like a dyson hoover and the water is gone in seconds!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Interesting comment about the Megs Water Magnet.

There have been a lot of negative comments on this forum about it, but I have had mine for about 2 years now and I am very happy with it.

I wash it after use (without fabric softener) and dry it in the tumble drier and it stays soft, fluffy and absorbant to this day.

I don't let it near wheels or door shuts so it never gets particularly dirty.
Regional Representative

County: Gauteng

Quote:
I still use a chamois for all the potentially dirty parts (door jams, underneath the doors, round the inside of the boot, under the side sills and inside the engine compartment)

I keep my waffle weave for the flat parts which show scratches.

Can we get Aqua wax and these detailing mits in the shops here? or do we have to order online and wait for them to ship it?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

As you are in Gauteng you can buy Megs products online from Meguiars in SA or buy direct from their offices in Jet Park out near the airport.

If you are on the West rand go to Autostyle in Mayfair. Their prices on Meguiars products are excellent.

Sorry, can't comment on AutoGlym products as I don't use them other than Glass Polish and I never see them in any shops.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Interesting comment about the Megs Water Magnet.

There have been a lot of negative comments on this forum about it, but I have had mine for about 2 years now and I am very happy with it.

I wash it after use (without fabric softener) and dry it in the tumble drier and it stays soft, fluffy and absorbant to this day.

I don't let it near wheels or door shuts so it never gets particularly dirty.
Interesting......what were they exactly or could you point me towards them with a linky? I cant see why anyone would have a problem with it.
Smallville

I use Aqua wax as an interm wax, I apply the proper stuff every month and use it inbetween and it comes up stunning. I have pictures if anyone wants to see?

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
I use Aqua wax as an interm wax, I apply the proper stuff every month and use it inbetween and it comes up stunning. I have pictures if anyone wants to see?
Well yes, point me in the right direction!
Smallville

Here are some from today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00680.jpg (47.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00682.jpg (96.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00684.jpg (148.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00685.jpg (140.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00688.jpg (65.7 KB, 2 views)

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZTO29 View Post
Interesting......what were they exactly or could you point me towards them with a linky? I cant see why anyone would have a problem with it.
No, sorry I can't but they were more along the lines of people finding them not particularly absorbant and feeling that they were quite expensive (which they are).

I think it's got a lot to do with how they are washed and dried.

As I said, mine has lasted well.
AO Platinum Member

I was thinking about my chammy last night... Well, the Younger Mrs S. is away and I like the feel of its softness against my....

But I'm digressing.. I remember my chammy was brand new in Feb 2000 when I bought my GTV. I wanted to start off with a new chammy on my new car (microfibres and wonder cloths being all a space-age idea back then). Up until then I was using my dad's old chammy's which must have been 10 or 15 years old themselves.

I got into a routine which has preserved the skin and may explain why I have no issues with chammy's vs cloths. After I used it, I always wash the beast. Normal household soap shifts most black marks and a thorough rinse gets any grit out. I take some time over it.. use a lot of water.. soap and rinse well.

Afterwards I wring it out, I pull it back into it's full shape and then hang it up to dry. It lives on a wire hung up in the rafters of my garage. When it dries it dries light grey, not brown. I never noticed any swirls coming off the chammy (though obviously having 14 y.o paint may make it difficult to spot any new swirls anyways).

But I wonder how many of the "offending" chammys are simply thrown into a bucket until the next time they're needed? A cloth can easily go into the washing machine I guess.. but if you look after your leather, it will last for years and (I think) still can't be beaten for drying power.

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
aqua , cloth , micro , mit , wash , wax

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page