Car Polisher - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 
Thread Tools
milomoon
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Car Polisher

Has anyone used an electric car polisher?

On the one hand it seems it would save so much time, on the other concerned I might remove the top layers!!
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: The Bored, BORED
AO Gold Member
 
Snokio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: I would rather not say
County: -
Posts: 6,454
Re: Car Polisher

there are 2 types of machine polishers, the rotary and the dual action (oscillates), the dual action is the 'safer' of the 2, however, machine polishing are generally used for paint restoration, but if you buy the right polish and pads (and used at low speeds), I imagine you can upkeep the paintwork very well, I can provide you with a link if you want with all the details
Snokio is offline  
Status: Needs a thermostat
AO Silver Member
 
10,500RPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ireland
County: -
Posts: 3,263
Re: Car Polisher

I have a rotary polisher but I'm not using it until I buy a paint depth gauge (you never know a 2nd hand cars history ). There is a great guide on detailing world

Machine Polishing by Rotary Polisher - Full Guide - Detailing World

and an abrasive chart here (post #54)

New Abrasives Chart - Page 5 - Autopia.org

I can't give you any specific advice because I'm a beginner myself but those sites should help you a lot. I'm planning to use Autoglym Extra Gloss protection and Finish Kare 1000 on the paint after I polish it, I think that should provide a great finish.... hopefully
10,500RPM is offline  
Status: hate the guy who just ran into me
AO Member
 
vincebio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Netherlands
County: Noord Holland
Posts: 137
Re: Car Polisher

as if jojo's wax website want geeky enough, this has to be the most in depth, eye wateringly tedious website ive ever seen.....and its amazing!!

tomorrow morning im going out to buy an makita orbital polisher, some quality meguiars polish resin and some pads.....

haha
vincebio is offline  
Status: The Bored, BORED
AO Gold Member
 
Snokio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: I would rather not say
County: -
Posts: 6,454
Re: Car Polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,500RPM View Post
I have a rotary polisher but I'm not using it until I buy a paint depth gauge (you never know a 2nd hand cars history ). There is a great guide on detailing world

Machine Polishing by Rotary Polisher - Full Guide - Detailing World

and an abrasive chart here (post #54)

New Abrasives Chart - Page 5 - Autopia.org

I can't give you any specific advice because I'm a beginner myself but those sites should help you a lot. I'm planning to use Autoglym Extra Gloss protection and Finish Kare 1000 on the paint after I polish it, I think that should provide a great finish.... hopefully
Thats the link i was going use , lots of info on there, and good idea to get a paint depth gauge, Alfa's tend to be hard and thin I believe, was looking to buy the Meguiars G220 and the 90 series polish
Snokio is offline  
Status: Needs a thermostat
AO Silver Member
 
10,500RPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ireland
County: -
Posts: 3,263
Re: Car Polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snokio View Post
Thats the link i was going use , lots of info on there, and good idea to get a paint depth gauge, Alfa's tend to be hard and thin I believe, was looking to buy the Meguiars G220 and the 90 series polish
I was thinking that. It's probably the best guide out there, I had to read it twice to take it all in.

I'm thinking about using Megs polish/ pad combos too because they go by numbers unlike other brands which name both pads and polishes so it should save some confusion.
10,500RPM is offline  
Status: -
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 89
Re: Car Polisher

Machine polishing isn't really necessary unless the paint's in a bad way...

I have a red 147 gta and today I went out and gave it a good going over with Meguiars Clay, If you haven't used it before, I suggest you do, it's amazing, I then used Auto glym super resin polish and a bit of elbow grease and finally some Meguiars gold class carnuba wax And the result is Fantastic to say the least, the whole car is as smooth as glass and has a deep gloss mirror shine
Alfagtv6 is offline  
Status: fortune sides with he who dares
AO Member
 
DIDDY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Norfolk
Posts: 457

Member car:

146 TI

Re: Car Polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincebio View Post
as if jojo's wax website want geeky enough, this has to be the most in depth, eye wateringly tedious website ive ever seen.....and its amazing!!

tomorrow morning im going out to buy an makita orbital polisher, some quality meguiars polish resin and some pads.....

haha
Have you looked at superstork polishers? Have had one for years and imo damn good!! I use mine for paint restoration all the time with Farecla and 3m products and have never had a problem with it.
DIDDY is offline  
jay w
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Car Polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfagtv6 View Post
Machine polishing isn't really necessary unless the paint's in a bad way...

I have a red 147 gta and today I went out and gave it a good going over with Meguiars Clay, If you haven't used it before, I suggest you do, it's amazing, I then used Auto glym super resin polish and a bit of elbow grease and finally some Meguiars gold class carnuba wax And the result is Fantastic to say the least, the whole car is as smooth as glass and has a deep gloss mirror shine
i owuld disagree with that....

Polishers also get rid of the random marks that hand polishing can't, my 156 paintwork wasn't that bad, however it had stacks of little marks....

a weekend later and the paint work looks 100% better, there is a real depth in the shine and no matter how hard i tried this couldn't be achieved with hand polishing
 
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
Ralf S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The land that Time forgot
Posts: 13,073
Re: Car Polisher

As with all things, a machine polisher has its place. A man just has to know it's limitations.

I don't think anyone sensible would recommend using a machine more than three or four times a year.. but you can only fix some paint defects with a machine and if you have the right equipment, you can't really do any damage, so don't be worried about it.

A dual-action machine is the place to start as it's a lot kinder to the paint than a rotary polisher. Rotaries are used by professionals as they are quicker (i.e. much more aggressive) so stick to a dual-action.

Polish is also significant in the process. Too fierce a polish will eat your paint up. Don't use anything more abrasive than it takes to remove the defects you're faced with.

If you just want to shine up the paint, use the mildest polish in the range you choose.. e.g. Poorboys SSR1 is very gentle. Other brands have their "fine" polishes too.

If you're trying to shift a defect (e.g. swirls) you may need to go to a more abrasive polish. These remove more paint (the layer with the defect in) but should then be followed by the "fine" polish to finish.

With a "fine" polish and a DA polisher it's practically impossible to wreck the paint.

The next thing to worry about is the pad. Pads come in different levels of abrasiveness too.. Cutting pads, Polishing pads, Glazing pads.. you name it. Don't get too worried by this.. if you're starting out use a light polishing or glazing pad and again you can't miss.

If you wanted to become an anorak you can mix polish and pad cominations to give you any possible permutation of "cut".. but in reality you won't notice the difference the pad makes, using the same polish and machine.

Anyway..

1) Find your website that sells all the stuff you can possibly want..

2) Select a machine to buy (Kestrel and Meguiars G220 are splendid kit.. Porter Cable is a very well regarded US jobbie .. but it needs a transformer for its 110v motor. Don't **** about with all that, the Meg's G220 is essentially identical to the PC).

3) Choose a "brand" who sell the different grade polishes in an easy-to-understand format (e.g. Poorboys do SSR1, SSR2, SSR2.5... each more aggressive and easy to understand naming system)

4) Buy the least abrasive/finest polish (and, if you have a lot of swirling.. the next one up too).

5) Buy a couple of polishing pads (or a polishing and a glazing pad)

6) Prepare the car.. (wash, dry, clay, rinse, dry) then polish it with the finest polish and the finer pad. If the marks aren't coming out, go to the more aggressive polish and pad. Then finish with the finer polish/pad.

7) Buff out the residue.

8) Wax it, Wax it, Wax it... as the paint is now all fresh, smooth, shiny and more importantly "unprotected".

9) Enjoy... though it'll be midnight now.. so you may have to pop out tomorrow morning to really appreciate your efforts.


Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
Ralf S. is offline  
Status: -
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 89
Re: Car Polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay w View Post
i owuld disagree with that....

Polishers also get rid of the random marks that hand polishing can't, my 156 paintwork wasn't that bad, however it had stacks of little marks....

a weekend later and the paint work looks 100% better, there is a real depth in the shine and no matter how hard i tried this couldn't be achieved with hand polishing
My Gta has only done 16k and there were only a few minor blemishes which were easy enough to take out by hand. Now it is flawless. However if the car is covered in the usual light swirls caused by car washes etc, then Machine polishing will be necessary.
Alfagtv6 is offline  
Status: [aluminium undertrayfitted
AO Silver Member
 
springbok's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South Africa
County: Western Cape
Posts: 2,133

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Re: Car Polisher

+1 on Ralf's post above.

Very good advice.

Besides making a difference compared with a hand polish, polishing with a G220 is also lots of fun, and your neighbours will look at you differently from then on.

Be warned, it is quite time consuming.
springbok is offline  
Status: No more warranty!
AO Silver Member
 
twissler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 1,051
Re: Car Polisher

Some good advice here. Bought a G220 about a month ago to get rid of the swirl marks. Great bit of kit but it won't save you any time. Machine polishing breaks the polish down further than by hand so you can use more aggressive polishes. The problem with this is if you don't "work" the polish long enough you will actually add swirl marks, hence i think it takes longer to polish by machine than by hand.

That said if you've got swirl marks on your car you'll struggle to shift them by hand.
twissler is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
car , polisher

« Help! | Confession »
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome