Turtle wax zip wax car wash - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 22-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Glasgow
Turtle wax zip wax car wash

Hi

What is the general opinion on this product. I have used this for years and find it good. I'm just about to run out, and have noticed that Costco sell it in 25 L drums for about 16 quid. Before I commit myself to buying such a huge amount, I thought I would ask.

A 5L container lasts me about a year, but I think the plan is to share the 25L with a friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Re: Turtle wax zip wax car wash

It's good and I tend to use it in 5 litre form over Autoglym because of the 3 for 2 offers in Halfords
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

i've had it before, thought it was good.
i usually swap between ag conditioner and turtlewax nanotec shampoo
sirwiggum

I used this earlier this afternoon. Not sure about it, seems to leave an awful lot of streaks. Though I was going over it with a chamois and polishing with a proper polish anyway. The windows I had to go over with Windolene because of the streaks.

Am I maybe using too much? It says use a capful, but its a squeezy bottle.

On a somewhat related note (cleaning black trim), I was watching a TV programme once that suggested that peanut butter worked better on black trim than silicon based products, due to the peanut oil. Just use the smooth and not the chunky, lest you get chunks of peanut on your car! Anyone tried this? Or any other tips? I had a friend used to use vaseline on the black trim on his Citroen XM, said it worked a treat.

AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

yeah if you use too much it'll hang about on the paintwork and look shabby. stick to using what it says on the bottle.
AO Platinum Member

Don't use vaseline.. the stuff can rot rubber.

I use tyre wall shine (the Halfords spray) on a small cloth.

Ralf S.

get yourself a very large but very cheep sponge and cut it up into 3inch blocks and put your product on that, and then apply, makes life so much easier.
(Post Link) post #8 of 14 Old 28-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Glasgow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwiggum View Post

On a somewhat related note (cleaning black trim), I was watching a TV programme once that suggested that peanut butter worked better on black trim than silicon based products, due to the peanut oil.
That's classic!! If I done that, my neighbours will have 100% proof that I have lost it

BTW I use Autoglym bumper gel for that sort of thing. Top stuff!!
AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwiggum View Post
On a somewhat related note (cleaning black trim), I was watching a TV programme once that suggested that peanut butter worked better on black trim than silicon based products, due to the peanut oil. Just use the smooth and not the chunky, lest you get chunks of peanut on your car! Anyone tried this? Or any other tips? I had a friend used to use vaseline on the black trim on his Citroen XM, said it worked a treat.
Not recommended when visiting the safari park though!
sirwiggum

Thumbs Up Re: Turtle wax zip wax car wash

Thanks all for the tips

The peanut butter one came from some TV programme on the discovery turbo channel, they were rebuilding a written off Golf GTI or something similar, and the wee bald guy said it was a great way of freshening up black trim. Haven't tried it myself.

Last night I saw an advert for "turtle wax ice" which seems to be a liquid polish that polishes metal, plastics and black trim. Anyone tried this?

County: Essex

Member car:

SEAT Leon FR

Hi buddy

Yes i have tried the TW ICE. The detailing spray is pretty good for a quick 'touch up' between washes. To be honest i wasnt overly impressed with the liquid polish. AG HD Wax is worth a try or can recommend Collinite 476, but use very little and remove almost as soon as you apply it.

ps your GTV looks stunning in the Chromaflair paint, really suits it.

Rob
sirwiggum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riva66 View Post
Hi buddy

Yes i have tried the TW ICE. The detailing spray is pretty good for a quick 'touch up' between washes. To be honest i wasnt overly impressed with the liquid polish. AG HD Wax is worth a try or can recommend Collinite 476, but use very little and remove almost as soon as you apply it.

Rob
Thanks

Wasn't sure about the paint at first, as it's non-original, but it's really grown on me, especially on a sunny day after a good wash and polish. Cheers for the polish tips.

Can't seem to keep it clean though, thanks to the big building site down the road where I work!

AO Platinum Member

County: Mpumalanga

The Turttle Wax brand has been MISSING in South Africa...my dad found it in a small town he now works at. He bought it at first sight!

I've tried mcGuiers on my cars and he on his GTV adn 156...both red, but nothing quite brings out an ALfa Red like the Turttle waax!!!!

I went to visit him last month and we turttle wax'd my red 147...OMW

what a difference!!!

I'd vote for Turttle wax everyday!
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riva66 View Post
Hi buddy

Rob
I agree with the Collinite 476 wax. It's an excellent Wax. I use Carplan Triplewax Car Shampoo, leaves no streaks, followed by ClearKote Vanilla Moose Glaze (Excellent)! and finally Collinite 476 wax. For the wax I apply with an applicator pad then use a rechargeble orbit style car polisher. Very fast with excellent results. Car has a show room deep glossy shine. I have drivers by stop their cars and come out and ask me what I was using on my car whenever I wash and polish it!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
car , turtle , wash , wax , zip

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page