Bilt Hamber Deox Gel - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 07-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

147 Gta

Bilt Hamber Deox Gel

Hi,

Possibly a bit of a numpty question, but can this be used on rusted areas of car bodywork? Bilt-Hamber Laboratories - Corrosion Removal - Deox-Gel The demo on the site doesn't mention it. I was planning on applying it using tape and cling film to some surface rust that has appeared around the sills and arches. I would presume that if it works, a simple smooth-off, prime and spray would do the trick?
This would be my first go at rust removal, I've seen it done on tv and read some articles on it, it looks reasonably straight forward allthough I have a feeling it will be more difficult than it looks!
The Bilt Hamber website has some amazing stuff on it, and they always seem to do well in independent tests, aswell as being cheap.

Thanks,
Iain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Re: Bilt Hamber Deox Gel

I used some Hammerite gel which is probably the same principle. Basically it seems to convert the rust into something that is soluble in water so you just rinse it away and you're left with a magically restored surface.

In reality you you're left with a fairly clean surface but you will still have pitting and missing metal where the rust has had your steel away.

The stuff also needs to soak a looooooong time to penetrate the rust and on a badly corroded section (I left it a week) it doesn't soak in all at once, so you have to repeat the process a few times to get all the rust off.

The final result is that you get a surface that looks like it's had a half-hearted shot blast and then a coat of rust killer applied to it. It's certainly not bad.. and is far less effort than scraping and sanding.. but don't imagine you'll see a pristine surface at the end of it.

You may still want to apply some rust inhibitor (zinc primer.. ?depending on the manufacturer's instructions..) and then you also may want to fill the surface (if the corrosion pitting is going to be visible).

Otherwise, it's worth a go.

My experiences were with the Hammerite gel so BH may be somewhat different.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
keithyboy

The rust will come back every time. The only way to get rid is to grind back to fresh steel.

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

I'd recommend getting a wire brush attachment for drill or grinder, remove as much rust as possible then treat with a rust converter for the remaining surface rust. Prime with an etch primer then paint. This should last you for a reasonable amount of time.

If the rust is actually rot then you'll need to do what Keithyboy says and cut it out and weld in new metal.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
bilt , deox , gel , hamber

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page