First use of G220. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 06-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
First use of G220.

Tried my new g220 today for the first time, and heres my initial results.

1st i clayed the whole car. washed again, dried and started up the g220 on the bonnet. After trying some different pad/polish combinations i settled on coolfoam light cut pad and megs#83. The whole bonnet took me a couple of hours as i was really learning and getting used to the g220. The #83 did a good job at getting rid of the swirls but the final finish was'nt that shinny and also some of the depth of colour (black paint) was missing.

So i then went to a megs finishing pad and AG SRP. This was a lot easier to work and brought back the depth and added a lot more shine.

Feeling more confident now i decided to give the #7 show car shine a whirl. Now, i was really excited about this stuff as i a had read some great reviews on what it was capable of. I had also read about how difficult it can be to apply and remove. anyway, on it went using a megs finishing pad. And... it was very difficult to apply. Or to be more specific know when it had been worked enough or too much. Removing was difficult as it sort of smears initailly before buffing to a shine.

And i have to say i was disapointed. there seemed to be little or no noticeable difference from the pass with AG SRP.

Too finish the job i applied some megs #16 wax by hand. The whole bonnet took about 4 hours and then started to rain so thats it for today.

Overall, i'm a bit disapointed. It worked well at removing swirls and creating a nice evn finish but i was expecting a bigger wow factor in terms of gloss and shine, especially with the #7. I'll try the rest of the car tommorow and keep experimenting. i'm sure its just about technique and a bit of experience before i achieve that wow factor!

P.S. It's still back breaking work!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

gt

Re: First use of G220.

That why #83 needs to be followed by #80. Can be finicky tbh. Spend the 20 quid on a selection of menzerna from clean your car, i find them a lot easier and finish to a cystal celar finish. Dont forget after polish its needs a wipe down to get rid of polish oils If your around brum i have loads of menz to try if you want.
(Post Link) post #3 of 19 Old 07-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

what do wipe down with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twissler View Post
what do wipe down with?
I want to know
AO Member

Member car:

gt

well you can just wash it again or use the iso alochol or a detailing spray. : )

Only machine polish needs a wipe down to rid the oils. GLazing or polishing other wise doesnt.
(Post Link) post #6 of 19 Old 07-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

i used some detail spray. However, had another go today with g220 this time on the roof. used a polishing pad instead of light cut pad with #83 and it helped a lot with the finish. Went over the roof again with SRP and it has come up great. Must say, SRP is a brilliant finishing polish, the roof looks amazing now, really pleased.

It just takes so long i think i'm gonna have to the car in stages.
(Post Link) post #7 of 19 Old 07-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thought i'd take some pics of progress so far seen as the sun has come out. Only the bonnet and roof have been machine polished and waxed up to now.

On the bonnet i used #83 with light cut pad followed by SRP on finishing pad, #7 on finishing pad and topped with #16 wax by hand.

The roof was #83 on polishing pad followed by SRP on a finishing pad. Did'nt bother with #7 and topped with #16 again. I think the roof and rear pillars look better than the bonnet. More clarity.

Roof on top bonnet on bottom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0138.jpg (77.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0142.jpg (48.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0143.jpg (75.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0144.jpg (71.0 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by twissler; 07-04-09 at 16:44.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Looking good there.

Remember. #Work in 2ft sq patches and work the polish for 2-4 mins or until clear.

Defo get the Menz sample pack. 3 polishes for 20.
(Post Link) post #9 of 19 Old 07-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Cheers rob3rto. I do work in roughly 2 ft squares, thats why its taking me so long!

How long does it take you to do the whole car?
AO Member

Member car:

gt

whole 1 day but i can squeeze it in shorter time, but i only have a GT lol
(Post Link) post #11 of 19 Old 07-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullec View Post
whole 1 day but i can squeeze it in shorter time, but i only have a GT lol

so about 12 hours or longer?
AO Member

Member car:

gt

Thats with washing, polishing & waxing. I tend to pay more attention to the most visable panels. Area like the roof or lower bumper dont get complete defect removal.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

It's a pity you couldn't have tried the #83 + #80 combo as this is a really good way of getting to know your machine amd #80 is stuff of legend.

#83 on a polishing pad and #80 on a finishing pad would do the trick. Then followed with a good wax.
(Post Link) post #14 of 19 Old 07-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
It's a pity you couldn't have tried the #83 + #80 combo as this is a really good way of getting to know your machine amd #80 is stuff of legend.

#83 on a polishing pad and #80 on a finishing pad would do the trick. Then followed with a good wax.
Yeah, i think i made a mistake not getting #80, but the bonus is that i've discovered just how good SRP is. It just created a really deep dark black and left a superb glossy shine.

I need some advice on #7 show car glaze though. Just don't know how to apply/remove it or how long to leave it before buffing off.
jay w

talking to a lot of experts Alfa paint is really hard and does take a loooooong time to do a whole car.....

My 156 was in a terrible state, i am using #83 followed by #80 followed by SPR and then dodo juice purple velvet, the results are stunning and the paint has real depth....

like you when i first did the bonnet i only did it with #83 and whilst i was happy to get rid of the swirls it wasn't really giving the depth i wanted, until i went back over it with the #80

(Post Link) post #16 of 19 Old 07-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay w View Post
talking to a lot of experts Alfa paint is really hard and does take a loooooong time to do a whole car.....

My 156 was in a terrible state, i am using #83 followed by #80 followed by SPR and then dodo juice purple velvet, the results are stunning and the paint has real depth....

like you when i first did the bonnet i only did it with #83 and whilst i was happy to get rid of the swirls it wasn't really giving the depth i wanted, until i went back over it with the #80
good to hear you had a similar experience. Think i'll invest in some #80. Paint is defo hard, i thnk thats why its so prone to stone chips, hard and brittle!
AO Member

Member car:

gt

I know your keen to keep with the megs, but its really worth the punt for the menz range. The extra clarity it provides is awesome you can use the srp then wax too

Its also important to keep the temp range constant most machine polish doesnt like below15 degs

Menzerna 250ml Sampler Kit
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twissler View Post
Cheers rob3rto. I do work in roughly 2 ft squares, thats why its taking me so long!

How long does it take you to do the whole car?
On an old Pug 309 (smaller than my 156) around 8 hrs
(Post Link) post #19 of 19 Old 08-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullec View Post
I know your keen to keep with the megs, but its really worth the punt for the menz range. The extra clarity it provides is awesome you can use the srp then wax too

Its also important to keep the temp range constant most machine polish doesnt like below15 degs

Menzerna 250ml Sampler Kit
thanks for the advice, i'll give the menz stuff a go but first i need to at least make a dent in the megs i bought. good advice though, you sound like you know your detailing stuff

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
g220

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page