Meguiars Products any good ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 95 Old 22-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1750 Turbo

Meguiars Products any good ?

My brother reckons Meguairs Products are not as good as Mother and that Meguiars is C###P in comparison. (Do you have Mother in UK?)

Is this true ? I just went out and bought all Meguirs products like cloths, polish, wax, clay etc and my brother said I should have got Mother as there far better. I Said Now You Tell Me - J###us

Is this true ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Re: Meguiars Products any good ?

Cleaning products are very much personal choice. Personally, I use Autoglym

Last edited by Squadrone Rosso; 22-03-09 at 18:50.
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

gt

very personnel like blonds and brunettes lol
AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
Cleaning products are very much personal choice. Personally, I use Autoglym:-)
i agree.

some people say AG is crap and Meguiars is the way to go, others think thats the wrong way around.

i have used mothers (although its very hard to come by over here) and wasn't especially impressed.

nothing seems able to tear me away from Auto Glym though.
(Post Link) post #5 of 95 Old 22-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1750 Turbo

I dont think we get Autoglym in Australia - have heard alot about it though on this website.

I guess Meguairs cant be that bad. Its the same price as Mother and not like its 1/3 the price like some other cheaper brands Kitten (not sure if u get that either in UK)
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

gt

clearkote is decent stuff, i think its available over there.
AO Member

County: Gwynedd

random 161.jpg
Megs is fab!!!!!

I'm a fan of megs stuff.

I use megs and AG.

Megs polish/wax gives the car a great shine.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...7012009036.jpg
AO Member

County: Gwynedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5een View Post
I'm a fan of megs stuff.

I use megs and AG.

Megs polish/wax gives the car a great shine.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...7012009036.jpg
DITTO
AG THEN MEGS STAGE2 THEN MEGS STAGE 3 WAX

i would say but i dont want to be seen as advertising or i might get another telling off!.....
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I normally use Simoniz stuff.

AG is crap IMO
AO Member

County: Attica

i am fan of meg, mafra and autoglym
jay w

in my collection of detailing products i use Megs, Autoglys, poorboys, billburry, chemical Guys, Harlys and Dodo.

all of them are good, i never use the entire range from one maker as i find each has their strong products, AG is Super resin polish, Dodo do some fab dark colour waxes....you get the idea....

Megs is good quality stuff, easy to use and i think it does represent good value here in the UK, im not sure about Aus though

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Link to some clean cars today (using AG of course)
AO Member

County: Cornwall

Member car:

GTV CUP 47

I don't rate any of them of them. Zymol is the stuff to use and if your looking for a good value product try DODO Juice.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

I think Meguiars products are excellent although I do not use them exclusively. However they can be quite pricy.

The Deep Crystal Step 1 (Paint Cleaner), Step 2 (Polish) and Step 3 (Wax) are however fantastic value for money.
AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire

i have seen some incredible results from Zaino - but its very expensive and not available here.
(Post Link) post #18 of 95 Old 22-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1750 Turbo

Yeah thanks for all the responses ! I think I should be ok then with Megs I was getting paranoid as my brother is probably a perfectionist, which is good to know. Becuase I havent polished a car in 20 years the last one being an Alfetta GTV all those years ago I just went out and bought the whole lot ! Anyway I think I can take some products back like the polish and wax and get the Mother which my Brother reckons is like the Porsche of Car waxes
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by philoldsmobile View Post
i have seen some incredible results from Zaino - but its very expensive and not available here.
Yes it is! It's available from cleanyourcar.co.uk

You guys are spoilt for choice. Try living in Africa for a while.
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire

For me it is mostly meguiars, autoglym polish leaves behind a residue when the megs doesn't! The megs also represents value for money, the quik clay about 12, most other products between 7.99 & 8.99. But I still use Autoglyms bumber black as it works great on most black plastic, bumper inserts & door/body trim on the girlfiends 04 Clio, black plastic engine cover grill on 1991 Porsche 911 C2 to give a few examples.

Zymol is really top draw stuff at a top draw price! most of their products are scary prices, 7 years ago their quick clay product was over 70. I had my Black 1991 911 C2 done once professionaly and it cost 200! to buy this stuff it is about 150ish for a "Starter Kit"! Gulp!!
(Post Link) post #21 of 95 Old 23-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1750 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo-c View Post
For me it is mostly meguiars, autoglym polish leaves behind a residue when the megs doesn't! The megs also represents value for money, the quik clay about 12, most other products between 7.99 & 8.99. But I still use Autoglyms bumber black as it works great on most black plastic, bumper inserts & door/body trim on the girlfiends 04 Clio, black plastic engine cover grill on 1991 Porsche 911 C2 to give a few examples.

Zymol is really top draw stuff at a top draw price! most of their products are scary prices, 7 years ago their quick clay product was over 70. I had my Black 1991 911 C2 done once professionaly and it cost 200! to buy this stuff it is about 150ish for a "Starter Kit"! Gulp!!
Wow The more expensive the car the more expensive the products you need !!
AO Member

County: -

Hi Fred,
Meguiars is very good, I have used it for many years, their NXT waxes are very good.
There seems to be some confusion here by people who compare stuff like autoglym resin polish with what you are asking.
Mags make wax, completely different product to polish, polish is a cleaner, and autoglym resin polish has abrasives in it, you will see that it removes colour, thus thinning the paint or the clear coat.
Wax is a protector to seal and help prevent contaminants from getting into your paint.
The best way to get it all clean is to use your clay bar with the detailer spray as a lubricant, then a good coat of wax to seal it.
The clay bar is a safer way to remove the contamination than using any abrasive polish like AG, and AG contain petrolium distillitates, not good for you.
Wax like Megs and other good waxes contain "Carnauba Wax" as I sure you have seen on the bottles, the higher the content the better the wax, unfotunately you never get anything for nothing and "Carnauba" does not last forever but it will produce a great finish.
If You use a Megs wax the best idea is to give it a "Top Up" after washing the car every so often, use the "Fast Detailer Sparay" to boost up the finish.
Megs Carnuaba will last about 3 months in the UK, longer if you give it a top every month as I have already said.
Zymol is a pain in the rear because you are supposed to wet spray the car whilst applying it, and it is only made by "Turtlewax" as a up marketing ploy, the "Carnauba content is not very high and is over rated and over priced for what it is.
Your brother also correct "Mothers" is good similar prioducts to Megs it is just a matter of preference.
Another product that was originally made for boats is "Collinite" a wax now sold to the cars world.
If you really want to surprise your brother then tell him to buy "Swisswax" the price will kill him, beyond my budget for car cleaning but supposed to be the dogs bits.

AO Member

If were talking top of the line, money no object then swissvax comes out the winner. Basically they got famous for restoring old timers to better than new condition, but in the last 10 years have gone into the "affordable" range. Their crystal and mystery carnauba waxes top at 3400 pounds for 500ml.

They also do the standard shine, suzuka wax for japanese laquers, italian wax for italian cars those are quite affordable.

Their leather treatment is also without equal, I've used it, better than leatherique by far, including gloss correction, glaze, etc.
(Post Link) post #24 of 95 Old 23-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1750 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartynH View Post
Hi Fred,
Meguiars is very good, I have used it for many years, their NXT waxes are very good.
There seems to be some confusion here by people who compare stuff like autoglym resin polish with what you are asking.
Mags make wax, completely different product to polish, polish is a cleaner, and autoglym resin polish has abrasives in it, you will see that it removes colour, thus thinning the paint or the clear coat.
Wax is a protector to seal and help prevent contaminants from getting into your paint.
The best way to get it all clean is to use your clay bar with the detailer spray as a lubricant, then a good coat of wax to seal it.
The clay bar is a safer way to remove the contamination than using any abrasive polish like AG, and AG contain petrolium distillitates, not good for you.
Wax like Megs and other good waxes contain "Carnauba Wax" as I sure you have seen on the bottles, the higher the content the better the wax, unfotunately you never get anything for nothing and "Carnauba" does not last forever but it will produce a great finish.
If You use a Megs wax the best idea is to give it a "Top Up" after washing the car every so often, use the "Fast Detailer Sparay" to boost up the finish.
Megs Carnuaba will last about 3 months in the UK, longer if you give it a top every month as I have already said.
Zymol is a pain in the rear because you are supposed to wet spray the car whilst applying it, and it is only made by "Turtlewax" as a up marketing ploy, the "Carnauba content is not very high and is over rated and over priced for what it is.
Your brother also correct "Mothers" is good similar prioducts to Megs it is just a matter of preference.
Another product that was originally made for boats is "Collinite" a wax now sold to the cars world.
If you really want to surprise your brother then tell him to buy "Swisswax" the price will kill him, beyond my budget for car cleaning but supposed to be the dogs bits.
Wow thanks for that Martyn ! I went back to the store and exchanged the Megs wax for Mother wax. It looks like the top of the range mother wax. It was only $8 more so not much difference, better to follow my brothers advice. I couldnt find any mother polish so will use the megs polish.

I just washed my car now and about to start clay, polish and wax. The car has not been polished / waxed for several years id say from the previous owner and there is alot of muck and residual particles sitting on the surface I can see which wont come off with the soap wash (althogh it looks great from a distance). Also scratches are there from previous owner.

Im hoping this will all come off with either the clay or polish. Any suggestions what to use first ?

Might take some photos too

Cheers
(Post Link) post #25 of 95 Old 23-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1750 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold View Post
If were talking top of the line, money no object then swissvax comes out the winner. Basically they got famous for restoring old timers to better than new condition, but in the last 10 years have gone into the "affordable" range. Their crystal and mystery carnauba waxes top at 3400 pounds for 500ml.

They also do the standard shine, suzuka wax for japanese laquers, italian wax for italian cars those are quite affordable.

Their leather treatment is also without equal, I've used it, better than leatherique by far, including gloss correction, glaze, etc.

Best to use the swissvax on the Ferrari hey

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
good , meguiars , products

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page