I thought I was doing it right - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

AJC1984

I thought I was doing it right

Hi Guys.....ok after owning 3 black cars and 1 Silver ones I thought I knew how to polish a car. I bought my Black brera 5 months ago and were never happy with the paint shine. I thought it was because of the colour not been a true black but I am starting to think maybe im not doing things right. So I wash the car, and use turtle wax t-cut black colour polish. Put it on with a cloth and rub it off with a cloth. Normally this looks great but not on my Brera... I have read on hear about clays/ waxs/ pads ect..... But have no clue what they do and there benefits. Can someone please explain the best way to polish a car and what each product does/ best ones.

Sorry to sound like an idiot but all my other cars have looked fine but not happy with the colour/ shine on the brera.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Hastings East Sussex

Member car:

alfasud V8

Re: I thought I was doing it right

Two words...Canuba wax, I use a mop to bring up the shine using G3 polish, I have heard about Canuba wax for years but never used it, a couple of days ago some mates of mine were round, we talking about polish and Trevor had Canuba wax in the car one hour later I'm standing there with egg on my face. My car is yellow and the shine was fantastic so on dark paint, you can see why the pro's use it.
check the net its not cheap and don't buy any sprays, just pure wax.

Eddie
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

gt

colour polish is your problem, your trying to put colour on a clearcoated paint.

So start off
wash
clay
polish
wax

what type you after halfrauds or online deals.
AJC1984

Not fussed what to used... What are the steps for claying what exactly is it? Also never waxed a car before?

Thanks

AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

gt

the best thing i can suggest is to read a "how to" on here if we have one or try detailing world.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...arageGuide.pdf

Basically clay removes inbedded contamination, makes you paint feel like glass smoooooth. ( a kit is normally a lube and clay block ) you spray the lube and run the clay over it picks out all the crap from the paint. well worth it !! do this once a year say in spring time.

try something like this for a starter will last you a long long time.

clay

Clay Magic Perfect Shine Kit
polish wax and applicators
Collinite 476s and Winter Carlack Selant Kit
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

What he said above. Go onto Detailing World and read up everything you can about how to properly care for your car.

At the very least you need to:

1. Wash your car properly and regularly using a good quality car shampoo (not dishwashing liquid) and the right washing accessories (not a sponge and an old t shirt).
2. Clay your car
3. Apply some form of polish to regain the shine and remove swirls.
4. Apply a good quality wax to protect the paint.

Unfortunately, being black, it will show the dirt but properly looked after it can look stunning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC1984 View Post
Not fussed what to used... What are the steps for claying what exactly is it? Also never waxed a car before?

Thanks

HOW DOES IT WORK AND WHAT STEPS DO I NEED TO FOLLOW?

1. Wash vehicle very well to loosen surface dirt. Getting the surface as clean as possible will reduce wear on the clay bar and extend the life of your bar by reducing the amount of contaminants that need to be lifted by CLAYBLOCK

2. Mist a 2 x2 square foot area generously with LUBER and spray down CLAYBLOCK as well. . Hold CLAYBLOCK against the surface and glide it back and forth.

3. CLAYBLOCK may grab the surface initially. This grabbing indicates that the CLAYBLOCK is encountering contamination so keep it very well lubed with LUBER.. Continue rubbing gently until CLAYBLOCK glides freely.

4. Occasionally check CLAYBLOCK for heavy contaminants that may be stuck onto bar, you may want to spray LUBER onto CLAYBLOCK or rinse clayblock clean under water prior to every use or if dirty.

5. Using LUBER occasionally spray surface down and Wipe each section with a micro fiber towel, this process will wipe away contaminates and reduce friction and possible marring of surface through friction.

6. Once you have CLAYBLOCK the Paint, YOU CAN CLAYBLOCK THE WINDOWS AS WELL. Follow the same directions for windows this will reduce streaking when using your wipers and accelerate water runoff when it rains.

7. Wash Vehicle again once completed, this will assure that all contaminates that were removed are safely washed off of the surface where they can no longer to hard to pain

SURFACE CLEANING CLAY BAR ALTERNATIVE

AJC1984

Thanks very much guys just what I was looking for.

AO Platinum Member

You'll find once you clayed your car, it is easier to wash too.. the smoother (uncontaminated) the paint, the easier it is to glide your sheepskin mitt across is.

Once you clayed your motor, give it a rinse, dry it and then either polish it and wax it, or just wax it.

You only need to polish if you want to remove old, faded paint or if you have a lot of swirls etc. "Polish" in this context is an abrasive product.

What you MUST do after claying, is wax it.. the waxy stuff protects the (now) unprotected top-coat. You can get all sorts of expensive waxes.. but ANY wax is better than nothing. You can get all sorts of spray and paste waxes from Halfords (Turtle, Simoniz etc.) or more fancy stuff from the various "detail" web sites.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
thought

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page