Respray - matt black wing mirror! What do i need to do? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 06-03-09 Thread Starter

Respray - matt black wing mirror! What do i need to do?

As its spring i have been going over the outside of the car and looking at what needs doing and i noticed that someone has decided to rub their car against my passenger wing mirror

The mirrors are a P1 Spider 1997 and they are matt black in colour. What i notice is a white-ish colour below the black so i was guessing this is primer? Its the rear of the mirror that has had the paint work damage and glass etc is all untouched....so!..

In order to repaint this with a aerosol do i just need primer, matt black paint and sealant + emery paper? can someone talk me through the process or direct me existing thread that i can't find?

Regards,

David.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

gt

Re: Respray - matt black wing mirror! What do i need to do?

To be honest i'd prob just flat it down using a fine wet and dry, light prime then a few coats of paint. ( no laquer for matt colours )
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 06-03-09 Thread Starter

Thanks paul,

if i don't use a laquer how do i seal the finish?

kARMA.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

The secret with spraying with aerosols ............. is to keep the can moving and use lots of light coats.......... Put too much on in one go and you'll ***** it up ........... Also make sure you clean the nozzle between coats ......... turn the can upside down and give it a quick spray........... and a wipe........... If you don't after a couple of coats it'll start spitting.............

............ and laquer........... you can get matt laquer ........... But if it was me ???? ............. I'd go for a "satin" laquer, it'll look far better.........

.......... and with painting anything............. the job is only ever as good as the preperation.

............... Good luck and enjoy !!!!

Cheers to All
Peter

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti.
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

146 TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaAlfa View Post
As its spring i have been going over the outside of the car and looking at what needs doing and i noticed that someone has decided to rub their car against my passenger wing mirror

The mirrors are a P1 Spider 1997 and they are matt black in colour. What i notice is a white-ish colour below the black so i was guessing this is primer? Its the rear of the mirror that has had the paint work damage and glass etc is all untouched....so!..

In order to repaint this with a aerosol do i just need primer, matt black paint and sealant + emery paper? can someone talk me through the process or direct me existing thread that i can't find?

Regards,

David.
I agree with Green Rizla, the finish IS only as good as the preparation.There are a couple of other things to bear in mind. After preparation use a decent preparatory cleaner/degreaser as some polishes/ waxes contain silicone, if this is still present it can cause the new paint to "fish eye". Another thing to consider is where and when you do the job. Some paints including cellulose and two packs are susceptable to "blooming" in cold damp weather, this causes the paint to go Matt, which in you're case is not too much of a problem, but i have seen Matt black paints go grey!!!!! this will also affect anything you apply on top of the base coat. Also as Paullec says- use fine wet and dry to prepare. Anything which is to course a grit could damage the plastic then you may have a hell of a job on you're hands. Keep it fine!!!! i know you're not respraying the whole car but thought this info might come in handy. Oh and wear a mask!!!!!!!
(Post Link) post #6 of 10 Old 16-04-09 Thread Starter

Many thanks Green Riz & DIDDY!

I have managed to get this job to the current situation that im now at!?
I have the mirrors sand, prime, base coat of satin black 3 layers and then flattened with w&D1200git. A further two dust coats of satin and im now at the stage of applying lacquer!

This is where im confused?
My current understanding is,........ after 24/48 hrs of base coat hardening, the lacquer should be applied in three coats one light, 2nd wet & 3rd light straight onto the unsanded base coat!

However! on the Halfrauds Clear lacquer aerosol it states...
'To achieve the best results always prepare the surface thoroughly. Allow 24hrs for base coat to dry. use 1200grit paper and plenty of water to achieve a matt surface. removal of the glossy paint surface is necessary to produce the correct lacquered finish. Clean with warm water and detergent and rinse then dry thoroughly!'

Help!
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Lacquer clear, is normally applied after the requisite period of time allowing the final top coat to 'flash off'. No further flatting down required as the top coat is re-activared by the 'wet lacquer' and the lacquer then bonds to it.:
(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 16-04-09 Thread Starter

Cheers Zed! i went by your instructions and sprayed the bit that attaches the mirror to the door and it came up all shiney! i reckon if i had used the satin lacquer the effect would have been more natural! but! it does mean that i have to now spray the drivers side to match

Why is it when i go into any local motorfactors/halfrauds et al is it?... when i ask them for a satin lacquer they look at me like i have two heads!!?

I will post a pic of finished job! once i wet & dry it in about a week! as i need to put it back on my car!
(Post Link) post #9 of 10 Old 17-04-09 Thread Starter

Job now 8/10ths done!

The wing mirror is back on the car after spending from 5.30pm to 9pm trying to get the three screws back in! I would recommend to anyone that is removing their mirrors on a spider to remove the inner door cards!? i did as other members had advised against and dropped one of the screws into the door innards after attempting to get the bottom screws to grip at an angle! So once i had removed the door cards it was literally a 5 min job to reattach the mirror securely without stripping the threads. And then spent 10 mins reattaching the door cards and all thats left for me to do is give it approx a week to harden and then i will wet&dry 1200grit and use a polish to buff, i have super resin polish and i also have farecla scratch remover paste, Quixx scratch remover, and for finer work Autoglym SRP and EGP! So do i have the right tools for the finishing job??

I will post a pic tomorrow, the mirror has come up a treat! although i do believe i have some orange peel in the lacquer finish and a few runs but nothing major. It has forced me now to do the drivers side as it now looks very faded and dull/grey in comparison to the shiney new satin black mirror on the passenger side(RS)

If your car has the black wing mirrors that are now fading i recommend doing this job! BUT! as a recommendation make sure you have another car to drive as your car will have no mirrors for approx 3-4 days! and then you will be able to reattach for the lacquer to harden for approx 4-5days and then remove and wet&dry before polishing. Don't wax for at least a month i've discovered!

AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Good Man!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
black , matt , mirror , respray , wing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page