Key Scratch repair - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 02-03-09 Thread Starter

County: -

Member car:

Key Scratch repair

Hello,

Someone has attacked my car with a key and has left a long scar along the tailgate which is quite deep at one end but not too bad at the other.

Any suggestions for the best way to remove it? Are product like T-Cut any good or should I get a company to do it? If so does anyone know of a good one? I cant afford a re-spray and don't want to spend hundreds of pounds if I can do a good job myself.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire
Re: Key Scratch repair

If it's a deep scratch you'll get nowhere with tcut.........and too much rubbing it'll look a mess........... I've used chipsaway a few times and they are good........... but they can only work on panels that are curved, their repairs sort of blend in and use the light changes on a panel for the effect..........

.......give them a call, they'll come have a look .......... From memory they charge somewhere between 60-70 a panel.

Cheers to All
Peter
AO Member

County: Worcestershire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

As the other Pete said (us Petes rule the world) - it depends on how deep the scratch is. I got a previous car key'd and I managed to polish it out. It took a few hours, but was worth it. If its a deep scratch, im afraid it may be expensive.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

As a general rule, if your finger nail "catches" in the scratch then it is too deep to polish out. Correction by a professional can however mask the scratch to some extent and with the use of products which contain fillers you can make it a lot less visible.
(Post Link) post #5 of 10 Old 03-03-09 Thread Starter

Member car:

Thanks for the replies. I'll need to look at it in more light. I think part of it would polish out but the deep parts will need more doing to them. Think I'll have to get someone to do it.
AO Member

Member car:

156 SW 1.8 TS

This place do a few kits, you could have a go yourself! You can view the instructions on product info. Also do proper Alfa colour codes!

car & motorcycle paints...Everything from car touch up paint to air tools available online
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

I have also fallen victim to the tyranny of the key scratch. I have about 5 scratches on the rear panel drivers side, plus on the drivers door i have a dents - small (less than tennis ball size) but about 4 of them.

Whats the craic with this then?

How easy is it to push the dents out myself? can i access via the door panel on the other side?

Are scratches doable - they are deep enough for a fingernail, but not down to the metal.

Any idea how much it would cost to do fix these professionally?

and lastly...

Anywhere in Newcastle i can trust to fix my lovely GTV.

thanks to all!
AO Member

County: Fife

Member car:

Alfa Romeo

Halfords do the key scratches for 65 depending on the length and guarantee the work. I have a key scratch in the nearside back panel and asked them for a quote as I saw they were advertising this kind of repair.Its worth going and asking them that costs you nothing except your time.

Custom Automotive Touch-Up Paint Kit

OEM Factory Match * Made Fresh * No Paint Blobs!
Blows Away Paint Pens!

Dr. ColorChip fool-proof auto touch up paint kit for chip repair on your car- BMW,Porsche,Ford,Honda,Mercedes,Lexus,Toyota...mos t color codes

Our 2-Step Process is Fool-Proof:
Step 1- Apply paint over chips, no precision necessary
Step 2- Apply blending chemical for a clean, smooth finish- no waiting!

FAST, SIMPLE, PROFESSIONAL RESULTS.....AND NO PAINT BLOBS!
GREAT FOR "ROAD RASH"
PROTECTS AGAINST RUST
PERMANENT REPAIRS
NO CLEAR COATING NEEDED
THOSE PAINT PENS CAN"T COMPETE WITH THIS!
(Post Link) post #10 of 10 Old 11-04-09 Thread Starter

Member car:

The scratches are likely to be expensive if you have 5 of them. I was quoted over 200 by halfords to do mine, and I only had one. Did it myself in the end.

Get some paint from Alfa so it'll be a good match. They gave me some clear topcoat too. The paint code should be on a sticker somewhere on the car, maybe the boot. Fill the deep parts of the scratch with it and then get some turtlewax safe cut or similar and rub it down to level it off. This takes ages but is worth it. It's only visible now if you know its there and are looking for it.

Not sure of the best way to get the dents out but let me know what you do cos someone has just hit a hockey ball into my mate's car and he's not too pleased..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
key , repair , scratch

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page