AG leather care problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 25 Old 22-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Durham
AG leather care problems

I have just done my seats with Autoglym leather care and let it soak in but it looks like my matt leather have gone shiney.
Now i havnt buffed them with a cloth in fear they will go glossy.
I am thinking if it just soaks in they will stay matt, please tell me im right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Re: AG leather care problems

yup - it takes a few days, but it does sink in, leaving a nice smooth soft matt finish.

after a few treatments the leather gets noticeably softer, too
(Post Link) post #3 of 25 Old 22-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Phew....
Cheers
AO Silver Member

its actually a great product. i use it in my 166 every few months, and the interior is sublime.

This is probably due to residues left on the surface. These cannot soak into the leather because it has a finished surface on it.
Any residues that are left on the surface will attract more dirt. This will damage the finish over time due to dirt and abrasion.
Products that leave residues on the surface should be avoided for this reason.

'Conditioners' are unecessary on auto leather as they cannot reach the leather itself due to the finish - it is far better to keep the leather clean and protected - this will keep it in good condition.
AJC1984

Leather Pro

Hi, I have just cleaned my seats with Dove soap (I read on here) They were never really dirty but had an awfully shine after using a turtle wax conditioner.... What do I need to use now to protect them and keep them matt looking?? I read Gliptone but is this matt finish and do you rub in or leave to soak in?

Thanks

Protectors sit on the surface and leave a breathable barrier between the finish and the dirt which makes them easy to clean. Nothing other than moisture can soak into the leather through the finish so anything that says it soaks in is produced by suppliers who know nothing about leather........

Protectors should be tested to make sure they work (there are not many on the market that work effectively) and most 'conditioners' will have very little protective element in them which means they are effectively a waste of time and money .
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Leatherpro, what is your professional opinion of aerosol foam leather cleaning products vs creams?
(Post Link) post #9 of 25 Old 01-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philoldsmobile View Post
yup - it takes a few days, but it does sink in, leaving a nice smooth soft matt finish.

after a few treatments the leather gets noticeably softer, too
Yeah it never did soak in, so i got a bucket of warm water and hand soap and washed all the leather again.
Back to matt black again

Foam cleaning is by far the safest and most effective way of cleaning leather. Foam will sit on the surface and stay where it is put so dwell time can be controlled. Also foam cleaning does not cause problems with 'runs' which can be a problem with liquid or spray cleaners. Aerosol foam cleaners should be avoided as they contain solvents (in the propellant) which can be damaging to the finish. Aerosol foams are often too dense a product to be very effective. There are plenty of foam cleaners on the market that are applied through a special foaming bottle or liquid cleaners that produce foam with a sponge (check that the cleaner has foaming properties as not all do).

Foam cleaners capture the dirt in the foam and when you remove the excess foam you take the dirt with it therefore leaving none on the surface.

Cream/gel cleaners should be avoided because although they may emulsify the dirt all they do is spread it around on the surface and unless you are then going to clean the cream off (!!!!!!) there is no way of effectively removing the dirt from the surface.

Hope this helps
AJC1984

So do you just advise I keep them clean using a foam cleaner/ dove soap as this has worked really well. Will they not crack really bad if they are not conditioned regularly??..... Any tips for removing creases from leather.... I have read a hot iron works but dont want to attempt this.

AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Thanks for your input. I must admit that I have been using aerosol foam cleaners for some time with great results. I dislike the "cream" ones as I always find that they leave the surface sticky and never really clean whereas the foam lifts off the dirt. I was unaware of the dangers of the solvents in the propellant

As long as the soap produces a foam and this is what is used to clean the leather it will be fine. Using soaps generally leaves a residue on the surface which could be damaging in the long term. Far better to use a product designed specifically for leather so that you can get technical help if required.
Creases in leather are a totally different problem to cleaning. They occur naturally due to the fibres in the leather. Some hides will stretch more than others. The area of the hide that the panel has been cut from will dictate the amount of creasing that is likely to occur. Panels cut from the belly hide will stretch and crease far more than those from the back area and top grain will stretch more than full grain. There is no way to get rid of creases in leather altogether - heat may help a little. The crucial thing is to keep these areas very clean as they will be more susceptible to wear from dirt and abrasion.
If they are already showing signs of wear it may be the time to do a small amount of restoration work.

'Conditioning' of leather is done by replacing moisture in the leather (not oils and waxes). The oils and fats in leather do not dry out but the water element does. Using water based products to clean and protect will help to keep the moisture balance correct and so keep the leather in good condition - this will help to prevent cracking. Using 'conditioners' may only speed up the process.
Unregistered

Member car:

Lee van Cleef

Try Gliptone it's much better and about the same price.

I think Gliptone is a gel type cleaner which will come in the same category as creams. As long as you are going to clean it off it will probably give god reuslts.

Leather cleaners were tested by Auto Express Weekly in January.
Unregistered

Member car:

Lee van Cleef

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherpro View Post
I think Gliptone is a gel type cleaner which will come in the same category as creams. As long as you are going to clean it off it will probably give god reuslts.

Leather cleaners were tested by Auto Express Weekly in January.
Gliptone make numerous leathercare products, not just cleaners;

www.thepolishingshop.co.uk Gliptone Leather Care

Personal prefeence again though.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacool View Post
Yeah it never did soak in, so i got a bucket of warm water and hand soap and washed all the leather again.
Back to matt black again

hmm.. must be a different surface to the leather in a 166 then, because mine goes back to matt (well, a sort of satin finish) after about 2 days - even the areas not sat on.

having said that, i have noticed many very new cars have a significantly different finish on the leather to those produced a few years ago, perhaps that accounts for it?
AO Silver Member

leatherpro - what are your recommend leather care products? i want to keep the interior of my car 'as new' and dont want to add artificial smell or shine.
AO Member

County: Hampshire

I got given a tip by a guy who does alot of VIP leather work ranging from handbags to VIP white leather interiors on business jets and he to me to clean leather using Pear Soap which you can buy it boots. Just lather some up in a bucket of warm water and give the leather a good scrub and they come up really clean and feel soft and supple. Let the soap/water mix dry into the leather and the natural oils moisturize the leather. Try it..... see what you think.
AO Silver Member

that would go had in hand with leatherpro's advise, so it seems quite plausible.

will try it, you may have converted me! i love the smell of pears soap, too!

Anything containing oils (natural or not) should be avoided when cleaning leather as these cannot penetrate the leather finish so never reach the leather itself, they will sit on the surface and attract more dirt.
Using Pears soap which does contain oils will not be very beneficial over time.
Soaps do tend to leave a 'scum' on the surface (like round the edge of the bath) and these too will attract more dirt which is what you are trying to avoid.
It is the moisture from cleaning which 'conditions' the leather not any oils that are in the products (popular misconception).

Hope this helps
Bri
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne & Wear

Member car:

Saab zzzzzz....

For a really quick clean, Mr Muscle leather wipes leave a nice finish!!

Foam cleaners will lift the dirt which saves the added process of having to rinse the leather after you have cleaned it.
Solvent based conditioners may penetrate the finish but then they are damaging it so should be avoided. Otherwise 'conditioners' cannot penetrate the finish on auto leather and are unnecessary and may cause damage over time if left on the surface. Cleaning and protecting with water based products will keep the leather in good condition. Oils and waxes are not needed.
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

Leather cleaners tested | Products | Auto Express

i've been using the simoniz for the last couple of years. i don't rate it much. doesn't seem to get the dirt out.
(Post Link) post #25 of 25 Old 22-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

So there you,
they think the AG stuff is pants.
I will give the Turtle wax a go later.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
care , leather , problems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page