Soapy film? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

kfp

Soapy film?

..no, not a movie about two nuns in a bath..

but rather why does my Meg gold shampoo leave a soapy film all over the car after rinsing? Admitedly I think its in desperate need of some wax as it doesn't bead at all but I would have a good dosing of clean water would get rid of all the soap!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Fife

Member car:

500 twinair

Re: Soapy film?

It should do anyway, maybe your using too strong a mix???
Try using a megs quick detailer or similar after rinsing, while drying and you should be left with a much better finish anyway!
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

+1 on the concentration.

It's high foaming stuff so you only need to mix a capfull in a bucket of water.

After you have washed your car do you rinse it down with a hose? There shouldn't be a "soapy film" left, but the surface might feel slick/smooth. Nothing wrong with that.
kfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by p17sut View Post
It should do anyway, maybe your using too strong a mix???
Try using a megs quick detailer or similar after rinsing, while drying and you should be left with a much better finish anyway!
I'm sure the instructions say 4 capfuls per gallon (can't remember exactly off the top of my head) - and its a very shallow cap so it doesn't seem like a lot.

You use quick detailer while its still wet? Do you pat it dry or rub it dry?

AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

The instructions are in Fluid Oz (typical yanks stuff why can't they work in ml like the rest of the civilised world ) but I did the math once before and I put in the equivalent of approx a tablespoon in a bucket. It's more than enough, believe me.

Using a QD while drying has become quite popular. When you do your final rinse you use a gentle stream of water instead of a fierce spray and the water sheets off the paintwork (this is assuming your car is properly waxed of course). You then dry it with a suitable microfibre towel with a couple of sprays of QD at the same time. I can dry my whole car without wringing out my waffle weave once.
kfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
Using a QD while drying has become quite popular. When you do your final rinse you use a gentle stream of water instead of a fierce spray and the water sheets off the paintwork (this is assuming your car is properly waxed of course).
I've just washed it in the (almost freezing) cold using a bit less soap (3 instead of 4). I think before I might have been washing it when too warm - difficult to avoid when I have a south facing drive - and it was drying on the car.

I usually take the sprayer off the hose and just soak it as much as possible - it never sheets so I know its lacking wax!

I just SRP'd the back half (too lazy to do it all today). Ran out of time to wax it though I hope the SRP will help to stop all the dirt sticking (to the back anyway).

What do you use for drying? I had a megs drying towel which I now know is cr*p. I appear to have lost it (luckily!!) so I will need to buy a replacement.

AO Silver Member

County: Fife

Member car:

500 twinair

Pat or rubbing gently is fine, and any large or thick microfibre is fine for drying!.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
film , soapy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page