Pressure Washer on Wheels - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 30-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA Q2 SW

Pressure Washer on Wheels

Cleaning my wheels take forever. I have the 18" GT multispokes on my GTA.

I must end up spending at least 30 mins just cleaning the wheels - so I'm thinking about getting a Karcher pressure washer (e.g. a 685 model) with 130 psi to get them clean.

What are your thoughts but most importantly do you think even one of these washers is up to the job?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

Re: Pressure Washer on Wheels

There was a bit in CAR Magazine a few issues ago. They spoke to some guy that founded a well known wheel refurbishment co. I think he said, some of the problem is the dust baking in, and to carry a damp cloth and wipe the wheels off after a long run rather than leave brake dust baking on as they cool.

I wonder if leaving some 'lifting agent' on the wheels overnight would help loosen the dust and dirt before attacking them with a jet washer the following day?
AO Member

County: Merseyside

Acid wheel cleaner once in a while seems to make them easier to clean. Stops it becoming ingrained or strips a layer?
v6hughes

i use wonder wheels. its great always does the job

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6hughes View Post
i use wonder wheels. its great always does the job
wonder wheels is acidic so will damage them in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza96 View Post
There was a bit in CAR Magazine a few issues ago. They spoke to some guy that founded a well known wheel refurbishment co. I think he said, some of the problem is the dust baking in, and to carry a damp cloth and wipe the wheels off after a long run rather than leave brake dust baking on as they cool.
Can't really see any person cleaning down their wheeels after a run can you.

I tend to try and clean my car every couple of weeks, I just use APC on them, clean with a sponge and then spray with wax to keep them tip top.
(Post Link) post #6 of 17 Old 31-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA Q2 SW

Thanks for the replies - I always use Auto Glym Alloy wheel cleaner - my bolts have not had the paint lift - so it's a very gentle cleaner. My wheels always come very clean - so no problems in them coming up looking great. After a clean I then wash them down with Zymol Auto Wash along with the rest of the car.

My problem is just the time I spend - nothing else. Because I can't have them looking anything but perfect. And they are such a pig to keep clean!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

second that ...i've got the 18" spoke ones on my GT

i spray them with some generic wheel cleaner spray that i get from my local pikey shop for 99p ...leave on for a few minutes then wash with elbow grease ...certainly easier after they've been sprayed
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
i spray them with some generic wheel cleaner spray that i get from my local pikey shop for 99p
that'll be the fox **** they collect.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Acid Wheel Cleaners.

Nononononono, please guys don't use these. They will ruin your alloys and ultimately make them more and more difficult to clean.

Wash them well with regular car shampoo and apply a good wheel wax and they are a doddle to keep clean.

County: Cork
Garage

Have a look here

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-d...ed-wheels.html
AO Member

Totally agree about not using acid based wheel cleaners, repeated use will wreck your wheels. Buy yourself some Bilberry safe wheel cleaner from ValetPro.Great product and smells good too, better than getting a lung full of those acid cleaners.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Thanks for the above link. This subject (wheel cleaners) seems to come up again and again..............and again.

What most car owners don't realise is that alloys have to be treated the same way as the rest of your car's paintwork. Shampoo, clay if necessary, and a good quality wax or sealant. There is no "magic bullet". Any product that is strong enough to "melt away" the brake dust and other accumulated gunk WILL strip off any wax protectant which was previously applied, thus leaving your wheels open for the next round of brake dust etc.

Car valets use these products because they are quick and easy and they don't have to have a bloke spending 30 minutes carefully washing the wheels. Quick turnover = more profit.

But for the man in the street this is a matter of short term gain = long term loss. The more you use them the more you will need to use them.

Getting back to the original question about pressure washers: They can be usefull for spraying down the undercarriage and getting off salt and mud. Used without proper care they can damage paintwork: I have seen clearcoats lifted via injudicious use. Far better to get a foam wand attachment and apply lots of soapy suds to the wheels and bodywork and then use a wash mitt or microfibre cloth to wash off the dirt using the normal two bucket method.
Oggy_GTA

Shampoo then Aqua Wax them with a microfibre cloth. The Aqua Wax helps shift what the shampoo won't and leaves a certain amount of wax on there. Works great on my current wheels, but I did SRP and wax them from new.

Lord Melch

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
+1

I have found Poorboys Wheel Sealant works a treat. It really helps to stop dirt sticking.
Then you just need your usual Car Shampoo, to keep those pesky wheels shiny

This brush very good also : http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels.../prod_480.html

Last edited by Lord Melch; 05-02-09 at 15:24.

Lord Melch

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
Getting back to the original question about pressure washers: They can be usefull for spraying down the undercarriage and getting off salt and mud. Used without proper care they can damage paintwork: I have seen clearcoats lifted via injudicious use. Far better to get a foam wand attachment and apply lots of soapy suds to the wheels and bodywork and then use a wash mitt or microfibre cloth to wash off the dirt using the normal two bucket method.
+1

DONT DO IT!!

Using pressure washers wall your tyres after time and one day you could have a blow out or something!

use waterless, i use a power brush from valetkleen that cleans on the inside and behind spokes and the SonicScrubber on the face of the wheel. I thought it would be crap but cuts cleaning time and less effort. RimWax-Valetkleen - RimWax Home Car Cleaning Kits Also sell smartwax, quixx, rimwax, alloy scratch remover.

I use supaguard to protect the wheels, amazing stuff.

I think it's expensive though?? My mate gave me some so not sure on the price.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
pressure , washer , wheels

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page