Faded Alfa Red - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 24-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Swansea
Faded Alfa Red

I would really appreciate your advice on turning Alfa Pink into Alfa Red. I have a orbital polisher that has an oscillating motion which cuts down on the swirls so polishing is no problem. Hopefully you can help me rejuvinate the paint on my recently acquired 145 Cloverleaf.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

gt

Re: Faded Alfa Red

Cheapest option is to try some menzerna on the polisher say final finish. then ive always found some autogym srp is good on red topped with a wax.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polish.../prod_217.html
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
I would really appreciate your advice on turning Alfa Pink into Alfa Red. I have a orbital polisher that has an oscillating motion which cuts down on the swirls so polishing is no problem. Hopefully you can help me rejuvinate the paint on my recently acquired 145 Cloverleaf.

Thanks in advance
Use your orbital polisher then finish off with some of this stuff: Zymol Wax - Zymol Rouge Wax. CS102
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire

As far as I know all 145's have a clear (lacquer) coat over the colour coat so unless you remove that you won't be able to restore the colour!
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

gt

if its lacquered finish the rouge wax wont be much good as there for solid paints.

I have heard praises about clay bar not so sure if it will work with faded paint, maybe someone could clarify.
AO Silver Member

Last edited by gil_147; 27-01-09 at 08:22. Reason: Double post through editing.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

911, 156, Merc C

Alfa red (130) is always clear coated !
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullec View Post
if its lacquered finish the rouge wax wont be much good as there for solid paints.
Didn't realise the 145 was laquered . That's just plain inconvenient .

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorazzo View Post
I have heard praises about clay bar not so sure if it will work with faded paint, maybe someone could clarify.
Clay bars are more to do with cleansing and getting all the ingrained muck out of even the most minor surface scratch. Good for tar spots and bird poo etc. Not really restoritive to paint or finish they are really for prepping the car before polishing/waxing etc.
alfafamily

If its the original paint that has gone pink the only solution is repaint the car. If it comes back red with polishing its not the original factory finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfafamily View Post
If its the original paint that has gone pink the only solution is repaint the car. If it comes back red with polishing its not the original factory finish.
I agree. I had a '97 155 2.0 16V from new and over time the paint actually changed colour. I would call it a darkening rather than a fade as the red goes more cherry red. You could really see the difference when opening the doors as the "interior" paint around the door shuts etc was still the original colour. The problem was compounded by the fact that my car got keyed 2 yrs into its life and repainted down one side. They did a good job at blending it in until the original paint darkened.

I spoke to Adrian Jardine at Alfa Aid about it and he said it was the "blue" (yes really!!) pigment in the paint that caused the colour to go cherry. Cutting back would not work as there was a thick clear coat over the original paint which needed removing. I never did repaint the whole car but it always niggled me. The problem occurs worst on cars that live outside permanently.....a shame as red is the colour to have really.

Last edited by PaulieS; 27-01-09 at 13:19. Reason: spelling and punctuation
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Reds, and variations of red, have always been considered 'Bleeding' colours, as I have mentioned previously. Perhaps they have a stabiliser for more contemporary red finishes? You will need the manufacturers information for this clarification.:
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
Reds, and variations of red, have always been considered 'Bleeding' colours, as I have mentioned previously. Perhaps they have a stabiliser for more contemporary red finishes?
Reds don't have to fade! I had a 1990 Peugeot 405SRi in Regency Red (a darkish red) which had no sign of fading when I sold it in 2003.
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Reds don't have to fade! I had a 1990 Peugeot 405SRi in Regency Red (a darkish red) which had no sign of fading when I sold it in 2003.
Alfa reds do ... well all mine have.Needed respray to put right.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Before going down the respray route I would consider a chemical polish such as Carlack (Klasse AIO). With some elbow grease and followed with a sealant eg Autoglym SRP/EGP you could end up with a nice shiny car
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

There's a early 1990s Mazda near me, it's parked facing the sun. That's gone faded all over the bonnet

There's a yellow Seat Leon Cupra near me, and that's faded on the bonnet too

Can regular polishing of Alfa red slow the fading?
alfafamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza96 View Post
There's a early 1990s Mazda near me, it's parked facing the sun. That's gone faded all over the bonnet

There's a yellow Seat Leon Cupra near me, and that's faded on the bonnet too

Can regular polishing of Alfa red slow the fading?
I don't think it does personally. My mates GTV Cup had faded mirrors door handles and body kit and it gets polished very often. I've seen alot of cars that have faded at different rates around the body, its got to be something in the make up of the paint.

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

My last 145 Cloverleaf started to turn a different colour Red as well, and not in one place either, sort of patchy, in odd places, and all the Cloverleaf badges were a different colour green too. Very Odd Indeed........
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1997 GTV 2.0 TS

A respray in two pack solid red would be the ideal cure. As others have mentioned the clear lacquer over the paint stops you from polishing out the paint. You could try T Cut colour match in dark red followed by a good clear polish, but it is a very temporary solution.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Toyota

Thanks, given the current economic climate I am resisting buying a 2nd car or a motorcycle as a hobby vehicle, but a solid red Alfa has caught my eye, perhaps trying to tick too many boxes but if I get a 2nd car ideally I'd like something that looked presentable for interview duty.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
alfa , faded , red

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page