tips for cleaning engine bay....? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 13-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hampshire
tips for cleaning engine bay....?

hi - my radiator sprung a leak (currently being replaced) which has meant coolant ended up being sprayed across the engine making it look a right mess. I want to clean it up - its on the pipes ( I have some good metail polish for this I've used before) but can someone recommend a good product to clean the rest ? In particular the metal bits with Alfa and GTA wording on (excuse technical terms...).

Not looking to spend hours on it making everything spotless but want to get it nice & clean. Is there a good general purpose de-greaser/cleaner someone can recommend? I've looked on a few detailing sites & there's 100s to choose from..... Whats the best way to apply? With a cloth and brush for harder to reach areas?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Re: tips for cleaning engine bay....?

Dude, you can do worse than regular old Mr Sheen. It's good on anything.. metal, painted or plastic.

Squirt, wipe, done.

Ralf S.
(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 13-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
Dude, you can do worse than regular old Mr Sheen. It's good on anything.. metal, painted or plastic.

Squirt, wipe, done.

Ralf S.
thanks - have tried a couple of household type products but don't seem to make much impact.
Oggy_GTA

For yer shiny pipes (intakes) - autosol is probably overkill, but works a treat.

Try an oily old rag with some WD40 - probably just as good

AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

gt

use a damp cloth to get the crud off then simply use a interior/cleaner plastic dressing.
AO Member

County: Kent

Get some Autoglym Enigne Cleaner. Apply liberally over the engine, use a stiff brush to remove built up dirt then rinse gently. Apply AG Vinyl and Rubber care if you want it shiny.

NOTE: only do this with the engine cold, cover up any electrics you may think would need it, and above all I'm not responsible if you follow the above instructions and the car doesn't work! DO NOT use a pressure washer.
Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapdog View Post
rinse gently
Rinse EXTREMELY gently, or not at all if you can get away with it.

The spark plug wells are prone to filling with water, causing the HT from the coil packs to arc against the block rather than inside the cylinder.

Trust me, I know.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Presumably by "metal bits with Alfa and GTA on them" you are refering to the spark plug cover (nearest to the grill). The one with the oil cap in it and the plenum. The two "things" that look like tappet covers.

They are cast aluminium and are quite difficult to clean.

Other than painting them (a lot of people do), powder coating or chrome plating them (see my avatar), the next best thing is to clean them.

I have found the best method is a metal polish like Meguiars NXT and an old toothbrush and then remove with a clean damp cloth to remove the residue. If you rub too hard you will discolour the aluminium and it goes all blotchy, It is best to try and maintain the natural new look.

My car is five years old:

(Post Link) post #9 of 11 Old 18-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
Presumably by "metal bits with Alfa and GTA on them" you are refering to the spark plug cover (nearest to the grill). The one with the oil cap in it and the plenum. The two "things" that look like tappet covers.

Yep thats them....

They are cast aluminium and are quite difficult to clean.

Other than painting them (a lot of people do), powder coating or chrome plating them (see my avatar), the next best thing is to clean them.

I have found the best method is a metal polish like Meguiars NXT and an old toothbrush and then remove with a clean damp cloth to remove the residue. If you rub too hard you will discolour the aluminium and it goes all blotchy, It is best to try and maintain the natural new look.

Cool thanks for that!

My car is five years old:

Blimey could eat dinner of that...nice!!
AO Member

County: Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobda View Post
Rinse EXTREMELY gently, or not at all if you can get away with it.

The spark plug wells are prone to filling with water, causing the HT from the coil packs to arc against the block rather than inside the cylinder.

Trust me, I know.

Oh dear! Luckily I have a plastic cover over the engine so shouldn't be a problem (plus no spark plugs lol)
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

After gleaning with any de-greaser or solvent, make sure you protect it afterwards.

Regarding the cast alloy on the V6 lump, I read (in Classic cars IIRC) that you can get a corrosion remover liquid (jenolite for alloy).

Any ideas

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
bay , cleaning , engine , tips

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page