Removing PF brake dust from paintwork - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Oggy_GTA

Removing PF brake dust from paintwork

Hi Guys

Washing the car yesterday it quickly became apparent that the PF pads on the GTA have done their worst and deposited a fairly substantial layer from the front wheels to the back wheels, down both sides. I suspect this has been building up for a while as I do wash pretty regularly, unless the PF pads have combined with the buckets of salts and crap off the roads at the moment.

No amount of rubbing with a wash mitt and even a sponge would shift any of it. I tested some AG bug/tar remover on a small patch and that removed probably 50% after rubbing for longer than I'd like. Similar results with SRP. I suspect the SRP could remove a bit more if I kept at it, but it would take several days to do both sides.

Do you think this is the time to try claying? Would it remove more than the SRP?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Re: Removing PF brake dust from paintwork

AG tar remover, left on for a little while, perhaps coupled with claying should do it. Make sure you protect the paint work afterwards with SPR & EGP or UDS on it's own or even better, HD wax. We've not had this issue on our GT but then again, I'm obsessive about keeping the mint!
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Could try the gradual solvent route I suppose? Start with the less aggresive, white spirit, methylated Spirit.......?
AO Platinum Member

Or no expense spared, brake component cleaner in an aerosol?:
Oggy_GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
AG tar remover, left on for a little while, perhaps coupled with claying should do it. Make sure you protect the paint work afterwards with SPR & EGP or UDS on it's own or even better, HD wax. We've not had this issue on our GT but then again, I'm obsessive about keeping the mint!
Do you have the 305mm pads, SR? The dust from them is murder on alloys, I don't know why I didn't anticipate it on the paintwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
Could try the gradual solvent route I suppose? Start with the less aggresive, white spirit, methylated Spirit.......?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
Or no expense spared, brake component cleaner in an aerosol?:
Wow, ZF! Brake cleaner sounds drastic! Have you tried it on paintwork?

AO Silver Member

County: Cornwall

i've had the same problem, took the pads out and put stock ones back in. Sorted!

The only thing that took the dust off the alloys fully was Autosmarts trade wheel cleaner, not sure I'd trust it on the more delicate car paint surface though!
AO Platinum Member

Won't affect paintwork or rubber, and is a pretty good solvent degreaser. Just try a small area first, if you feel dubious about using it? Don't forget to put the polish back on over the area afterwards though.
Oggy_GTA

Thanks for the ideas, will give 'em a go.

I have the 330mm brake upgrade with stock pads to go on the car soon, so should remove the problem for good. A warning for all thinking of using very agressive carbon/metallic pads!

Cheers.

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

I've warned about this before. It's the only downside of the PF's IMHO. My advice is get everything fully clean and then protect fully, wheels included. Another thought would be good old WD40. FYI, we have the 330 disks on the GT. Once you've gone PF you will struggle to go back!
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

156 GTA

AFAIK there are two types of 305mm PF pads, I think Autolusso gave an option for the more race spec one (maybe PFC01), as opposed to the 330mm more rounded z-rated carbon metallic ones I reviewed.

I'm sure the PFC01 330mm setup would really STOP the GTA fast, but I would imagine you would need alloy bell two piece rotors to cope with the heat and avoid warping (or needing to skim the disks). Given that the 330mm z-rated pads pull close to 1.2 g with type-r tyres, most people wont need the real race pads unless they are getting very competitive with track times.

Ferodo DS3000's can apparently give similar issues, although I didn't personally notice it on paintwork myself myself, but did notice very slight bubbling of my standard alloys after I used DS3000's at the Ring.

I'm not a doctor - but I really do recommend braking later

Last edited by Trailbraker; 12-01-09 at 21:20.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Using clay should do it but may take a few goes.
Oggy_GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
I've warned about this before. It's the only downside of the PF's IMHO. My advice is get everything fully clean and then protect fully, wheels included. Another thought would be good old WD40. FYI, we have the 330 disks on the GT. Once you've gone PF you will struggle to go back!
Pity I didn't see the warning. I've SRP'd and waxed the car fully twice since the pads went on and didn't notice this before. I think with the roads recently being covered in mucky sticky mess that remains wet on the car for some time, it's allowed the brake dust to stick to the surface and do its evil, especially as I've not had chance to wash the car since before christmas! Damage done whether waxed or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailbraker View Post
AFAIK there are two types of 305mm PF pads, I think Autolusso gave an option for the more race spec one (maybe PFC01), as opposed to the 330mm more rounded z-rated carbon metallic ones I reviewed.
Ned didn't really say, but I'd heard the 305s were very aggressive in action - I didn't realise there were two types?
They certainly are very effective.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

While I do know that PF have at least two compounds, I dont know for sure that Autolusso gave you the PFC01 one, or that they offer it.
I was basing my post on a recollection of some posts a while back from another Autolusso customer who mentioned that they were given an option..

I'm sure Ned would be able to clarify what you have, hope I haven't caused any confusion
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I had recently read some reviews of pads used by Evo drivers and some pads caused similar problems to wheels and paint

By contrast the Ferodo DS2500 are very wheel and paint 'friendly' with low brake dust, I've been using them for last 5 years without seeing any problems
Oggy_GTA

Quote:
While I do know that PF have at least two compounds, I dont know for sure that Autolusso gave you the PFC01 one, or that they offer it.
I was basing my post on a recollection of some posts a while back from another Autolusso customer who mentioned that they were given an option..

I'm sure Ned would be able to clarify what you have, hope I haven't caused any confusion
No, don't worry I'm not going to sue Ned! But then again ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascs View Post
I had recently read some reviews of pads used by Evo drivers and some pads caused similar problems to wheels and paint

By contrast the Ferodo DS2500 are very wheel and paint 'friendly' with low brake dust, I've been using them for last 5 years without seeing any problems
Think I'll use stock pads with the new brakes and see how they are first, but I have been looking at the DS2500. How are they on brake squeal ... I guess you have the 330mm?

AO Gold Member

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Brake squeal is very little to none when used with my 305mm Brembo calipers, but I have a set on my standard calipers on my other 156 and they squeal a bit at low speeds which is annoying - I think this is because I need to service those brakes because the standard Alfa pads squealed too

If it wasnt for that small issue of occasional squeal the DS2500 would be great, with very low dust and great braking feel.
Oggy_GTA

Quote:
Brake squeal is very little to none when used with my 305mm Brembo calipers, but I have a set on my standard calipers on my other 156 and they squeal a bit at low speeds which is annoying - I think this is because I need to service those brakes because the standard Alfa pads squealed too

If it wasnt for that small issue of occasional squeal the DS2500 would be great, with very low dust and great braking feel.
It does seem the 305s are more prone to squeal - mine were not bad too bad on stock and terrible on PF pads

Less brake dust would be nice

AO Gold Member

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I get less brake dust from the DS2500's than from standard Alfa pads.......or at least there is less brake dust stuck on the wheels.

Hope your get your car sorted out soon......
EddieGTA

I have PF pads on 305's. Luckily the car is polished regularly so it hasn't stuck to the car, but the wheels are now a mess as I didn't keep them clean for a while. 3 hours spent on them and they are still not clean. I was warned though when they were fitted.

I find they do not squeal that badly.

Oggy_GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieGTA View Post
I have PF pads on 305's. Luckily the car is polished regularly so it hasn't stuck to the car, but the wheels are now a mess as I didn't keep them clean for a while. 3 hours spent on them and they are still not clean. I was warned though when they were fitted.

I find they do not squeal that badly.
Yes, I even posted a warning about PF dust on alloys some time back. D'oh!

I have some nice 18" GT multi alloys that are not going anywhere near the car till the brakes are sorted.

Quote:
I get less brake dust from the DS2500's than from standard Alfa pads.......or at least there is less brake dust stuck on the wheels.

Hope your get your car sorted out soon......
Cheers, Pascs.

AO Platinum Member

My DS2500's don't squeal. Brake dust is minimal.

Ralf S.
Oggy_GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
My DS2500's don't squeal. Brake dust is minimal.

Ralf S.
Ralf - where exactly is the land that time forgot?

Cheers

AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

The 330mm pf pads were much quieter than my ds2500s, which used to squeek at low speeds occasionally. Nowhere near as badly as ds3000 though!! I had track marshalls covering their ears when I entered the paddock once!
Oggy_GTA

Quote:
The 330mm pf pads were much quieter than my ds2500s, which used to squeek at low speeds occasionally. Nowhere near as badly as ds3000 though!! I had track marshalls covering their ears when I entered the paddock once!
Wow that is bad, TB These PF pads are sometimes, especially after a long drive, very loud, but I've never seen anyone in pain!

Oggy_GTA

Well, chaps. Done some tests with WD40, white spirit, SRP, AG engine cleaner (acidic) and easily the most effective substance for removing this stuff is .... alloy wheel cleaner , and second was the engine cleaner ... yeah, I know what you're thinking, acidic cleaner and all. Just a small patch about 2" square for each test. I took some photos, but it's almost impossible to see anything on them.

I did a further test on a larger area with some Turtle Wax Nano wheel cleaner, left it on for 1 minute and gently agitating it with a soft cloth - I could feel the roughness disappearing, then rinsed off with plenty of water. It removed as far as I can tell 100% of the brake dust, and doesn't seem to have affected the clear coat, smooth and shiny.

Followed the area up with SRP and Meguiars Tech Wax and the finish looks clean, shiny and pretty good.

As this is a one off, I feel it would be ok to proceed with this, and due to a lot of stonechip damage and some scratching and swirling, I was contemplating a full respray, so I've nothing to lose, 'til I really bite the bullet and get it sprayed.

However, if anyone has any serious misgivings about this, i.e. don't do this 'cos your paint will dissolve within a week!, then please shout up now.

Last edited by Oggy_GTA; 15-01-09 at 22:07.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
brake , dust , paintwork , removing

« Tyres | Wax »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page