Best way to clean Rosso Red 147? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 28-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Best way to clean Rosso Red 147?

Picked up me Russo Red 147 yesterday, and I love it

She needs a good clean now, after the 200 miles motorway trip back.

Can anybody suggest the best method for cleaning her?

I think she could also do with some shine - How I get that?

She has about 20 small stone chips across the bonnet and wings - anyway to make them look 'better'?

I am a n00b to cleaning cars (Normally dump them through the carwash) - But this car deserves all of my attention, and cleaning properly.

I have read other posts, but there seems to be conflicting statements from people?

Cheers

No more Alfie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

NFN
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 X reg

Not Happy Re: Best way to clean Rosso Red 147?

i had a Alfa Red 147 TI up until it was written off last week and the paintwork was fantastic ! but the result will depend on the condition to start with ? mine had very little swirl marks in the paint giving it a really deep shine , but if yours has these really the best thing to do is get it machined polished by a pro and then it will really be "Alfa Red" if its ok then i got my result doing this;

good wash with good car shampoo
power rinse, including under the arch's etc..
then the best thing for most cars is a good clay , this will really give the paint a super smooth glass like feel , ready to apply products, a good paint cleaner like carlack 68 removes the last of the imperfections and then a good durable wax (unless you want to wax every week ?) i love collinite476 and many on here rate it as the "best" as do recent magazine tests !

hit a site like "cleanyourcar" as this gives loads of advice on products and methods and its easy really just a little effort to start with and it will look "fantastic" wash after wash !

good luck with yours mine was great until the accident

mine looked like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alfa 147 Ti JTD 004.jpg (86.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Alfa 147 Ti JTD 002.jpg (96.2 KB, 24 views)

GTV 3.0 V6
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Re: Best way to clean Rosso Red 147?

Check out my top tips in the sticky thread above Also, Mitsubusi Palma Red is a good paint match & comes with a cool pen point applicator when bought from Halfords but wait until the warm weather before doing them.
(Post Link) post #4 of 13 Old 29-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

OK Guys.

Many thanks for the input!

Just one more question:

Would using a 'jet wash' at a garage be bad for either the car or the paintwork?

I'm thinking of using that as like a 'pre-wash' to get rid of all of the stubborn dirt, and get inside the arches etc.

One where you wet / hot foam / power rinse?

If its going to do any harm, I will not take her anywhere near one.

Cheers (Piccies later and you see why I not want to harm her)
AO Gold Member

County: -

Rather than using a Jet was I would normally just host the car down to remove any easily removed grime and then use a foam gun to soak the car before commencing the actual wash

- Gilmour Foamaster II Foam Gun + FREE 1 Litre Snow Foam Elite Car Care
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

My washing methods tend to vary depending on how clean I want the car from a simple bucket, sponge (or mitt if you prefer them) and shampoo through to the full clay, machine polish, wax etc.

Based on your comments about being a cleaning n00b I would suggest reading the Squadrone Rosso first as a good starting point.

If I was in your position I'd suggest:

1> Rinse the car down first with a hose.
2> Wash with shampoo of choice soething like Turtle Wax Zip Wax, Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo or Car Plan Triplewax Shampoo
3> Dry car down with large Microfibre cloth
4> Clay car using Meguiars Clay or Biltamber AutoClay - this is an optional step and will only be required if 1) you can be bothered, 2) your paintwork feels rough 3)once a year. If you decide to clay wash and dry car again afterwards
5> Polish car with Autoglym Super Resin Polish. This will hide some of the swirls and impart a decent shine.
6> Wax / Protect car with something like Collonite 476s doublecoat wax or Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection

After you've done this you've probably got 6 month protection so you only really need to polish and rewax every 6 months. To protect the car in the interim wash regularly and apply something like Autoglyms Aquawax every few weeks to top up the protection or if you're feeling lazy use Demonshine which is simply a rinse aid with added wax which you just pour over the car and really does work!

You can also use the above on the alloys, no need to buy expensive wheel waxes.

For about 30 quid you can buy everything you need to protect the car for a few years.
(Post Link) post #7 of 13 Old 29-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Sounds good.

Will get to work on cleaning her when I have had some grub.

Will take pics before and after, so I can see if I have actually done a good job.
(Post Link) post #8 of 13 Old 29-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Think I have done a pretty reasonable job (For a first time proper clean of a decent car - EVER)

Before: (For some reason, doesnt look as filthy as it was)

After:

Used Meguirs Next Gen car shampoo, and then dried with a water magnet.

Think it just needs a polish, then a wax?
Any other tips?
AO Member

Member car:

146ti

Yeah washing the wheels as well would give the car a real cool look about it as in ur pics the front wheels still look dirty....
(Post Link) post #10 of 13 Old 29-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxb12 View Post
Yeah washing the wheels as well would give the car a real cool look about it as in ur pics the front wheels still look dirty....
I actually forgot to wash them

Will do a much more thorough job next time. lol
(Post Link) post #11 of 13 Old 29-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

OK - So I have just noticed swirl marks in the paint, along with the surfce feeling very sticky/bumpy when I run my hand over it (Was the same when drying)

Does this mean that I need to use a clay bar on it? And then wax?

Cheers
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Clay will help remove the roughness from the paints surface. Read and follow the instructions well to avoid imparting any damage to your paint.

Using something like Autoglyms Ultra Deep Shine will help to hide or reduce the number of swirls but unless you want to go down the full machine polish route you won't get rid of swirls and remember you're gonna have to be very careful washing in the future to avoid them again if you machine polish them out.

Why not pop to halfords and buy the Meguiars Clay kit, some Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine (polish/cleaner wax) and Autoglym Aquawax (Spray Wax) to spray on afterwards and between washes.

Avoid getting Ultra Deep shine I textured black plastic like wing mirrors as it can be a pain to get off.
AO Platinum Member

Aye! Use the Meguiars clay kit. It's actually quite difficult to damage the paint with that, as long as you're sensible (i.e. the detailer spray is used to lubricate the action.. if the clay starts "picking up" on the paint.. squirt more spray on it...) No brainer really and excellent results.

Then polish (A/Glym Super Resin?) and a wax (take your pick) will finish it off.

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
147 , clean , red , rosso

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page