Sand blasting - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 31 Old 05-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Sand blasting

I have some rusty bits that need sand blasting. It looks like a lot of equipment to get - air compressor, cabinet, etc. But I've seen that you can get sand blasting attachments for power washers for not much money. Does anyone have any experience of such things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

alfafamily

Re: Sand blasting

I 've just bought a small blast cabinet for just this sort of thing. I already have a compressor so my costs were just down to the cabinet and blast media which came to about £300 total.
I've used the attachment for a pressure washer as well. It is only any use for cleaning large heavy objects that wont get blown around by the water jet. Very messy too. To give you some idea I think the ideal use would be on boat hulls.
A cabinet is expensive but I am finding more uses for it than I imagined I would. Things like cleaning up bolts that have to be re used, they look like new. For detailing parts for engines it is amazing. Take a look at this picture, it's the clutch and brake pedals off an MGB I'm restoring, before and after.

AO Platinum Member

County: herts

How rusty? Is it flakey, i.e. can you chip it off? If it is heavy rust, try a welders de-slagging pointed hammer, using eye protection. You need a very powerful grit blasting machine to remove heavy rust deposits. For the lighter rusted areas, wire brushes, rotary, hand held and so on?:
AO Platinum Member

AF, you call that rusty?
AO Platinum Member

Used a professional grit-blasting cabinet for cleaning snap gauge frames, when I worked for British Indicators, prior to them being spray painted and then oven baked. This was more to abrade the metal surface to provide a key for the hammered finish.:
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

If you want to post them to me I can blast them and return for a few quid
alfafamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
How rusty? Is it flakey, i.e. can you chip it off? If it is heavy rust, try a welders de-slagging pointed hammer, using eye protection. You need a very powerful grit blasting machine to remove heavy rust deposits. For the lighter rusted areas, wire brushes, rotary, hand held and so on?:
Thats dead right, blasting in small cabinets won't remove thick flaky rust, you have to put in a bit of effort first.
ZF, here's the engine bay before I started, plenty of work for the blaster here on all the bits an bobs. Nothing would do it as good.

Nev

Quote:
Used a professional grit-blasting cabinet for cleaning snap gauge frames, when I worked for British Indicators, prior to them being spray painted and then oven baked. This was more to abrade the metal surface to provide a key for the hammered finish.:
I sometimes miss working in the kinds of places I
used to over summers etc. Had access to all sorts
of cool stuff like CNC lathes & milling machines as well
as sand blasting cabinets etc.

Good for those tricky little tasks that would
otherwise mean buying a new part.

Admin Team

County: Hertfordshire

use a chemical bath
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Just had some of my old sprint parts presure washed ... and I don't mean with those 160bar home garage jet washers...

with 3000bar heavy industrial presure washer, rust and paint were all gone in an instant... and no worries about sand being stuck everywhere
(Post Link) post #11 of 31 Old 06-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaJack View Post
If you want to post them to me I can blast them and return for a few quid
That's a nice offer but I don't think the postman would be able to get a complete Jaguar IRS through the letter box!
(Post Link) post #12 of 31 Old 06-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
It varies in degree of badness - anything really flakey I'd probably replace anyway. It's mostly surface rust and just needs a little prep before getting a coat of Hamerite so wire brushing would probably work. It would be nice to clean up the brake calipers though, they do look a bit ropey.
alfafamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
............. a complete Jaguar IRS ...............
Aha I've been there and done that!I see now why you were asking about the blast attachment for the pressure washer,it is a pretty big object! On mine I stripped everything out and wire bushed everything. I was fitting all new stuff back in though so it was only the cage,diff and driveshafts that had to be painted up. I replaced the calipers,discs,shocks and springs.

(Post Link) post #14 of 31 Old 06-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfafamily View Post
Aha I've been there and done that!I see now why you were asking about the blast attachment for the pressure washer,it is a pretty big object! On mine I stripped everything out and wire bushed everything. I was fitting all new stuff back in though so it was only the cage,diff and driveshafts that had to be painted up. I replaced the calipers,discs,shocks and springs.
I only really needed to replace the rear discs but the job has got a bit out of control now. I decided to convert the hubs to XJ40 outboard discs and then also upgrade the brakes to the larger, X300 vented type. So now I have the rusty bits from two other donor cars and I've yet to even start stripping my axle down.
alfafamily

I know the '92 facelift cars had outboard discs, is it a fairly straightforward swap then? Sounds interesting.

(Post Link) post #16 of 31 Old 06-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

The outboard discs, from the XJ40, didn't arrive until part way through 1993 so early facelift cars, like mine, still have the inboard units. It has been popular to put X300/XK8 hubs on to racing XJSs - you just need to shim the space where the disc went and allow for the outer fulcrum pin changing to a metric size. But on the track you don't need to care about the handbrake which is a bit more of a challenge come MOT time.

Instead of trying to fabricate a handbrake system I was able to get a complete axle from a late 1993 XJS which has all the bits I need. Since the calipers and discs that came with it were completely shot I went for the X300 brake upgrade as well.

I'm just praying that it will all fit together and that the ABS will remain functioning.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
That's a nice offer but I don't think the postman would be able to get a complete Jaguar IRS through the letter box!
Ah tis a big bit

No worries but if you want smaller bits doing just PM me
AO Member

I thought about a sand blasting cabinet for a while,I have a lot of alloy wheels that need restoring but was quoted at £70 per wheel by a company.

I might splash out and buy one.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiegtv View Post
I thought about a sand blasting cabinet for a while,I have a lot of alloy wheels that need restoring but was quoted at £70 per wheel by a company.

I might splash out and buy one.
I dont do wheels myself anymore, takes an age to get it all off, mind you that was with a 50yo compressor at the time. The new one is a touch more powerful
AO Member

Alfajack,what sort of blast media do you use for alloy wheels and other aluminium products?
I had a really basic grit blasting gun working off my compressor a couple of years ago in which I used builders sharp sand which was great for the heavy steel hub units and the like but when I tried an old alloy rocker cover it just came up a really dull grey,do different types of media give a different finish?
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiegtv View Post
Alfajack,what sort of blast media do you use for alloy wheels and other aluminium products?
I had a really basic grit blasting gun working off my compressor a couple of years ago in which I used builders sharp sand which was great for the heavy steel hub units and the like but when I tried an old alloy rocker cover it just came up a really dull grey,do different types of media give a different finish?
I am not sure actually. It might be written on the bag somewhere. Its pretty fine grey sand though. Its the only kind I have used. Seems to work on everything though without destroying it. I will post some photos later on.

I did the rocker cover for Explosive Alfa and it came up pretty nicely.
AO Platinum Member

Gave a good as new appearance to that cast aluminium rail AF.:

I'm very, very, wary of anything abrasive now, especially as I think the eye condition I have,and the ensuing operation recently, was in part due to the ingress of dirt and muck, during my mad,bad, younger, 'gung ho' attitude to working on cars. Just thank my lucky stars that most of my body is still in tact, after the abuse, misuse, I gave it, as an enthusiastic have a go at anything,mechanic.:
alfafamily

I've been using glass beads for aluminium bits like the manifold in the picture. The trick with ally is to keep the air pressure low or it roughens the surface too much. It looks a bit like grey sand,maybe thats what you have AlfaJack.
You can do a great job on Alfa cam covers. Blast all over then polish the ribs till shiny,then re paint the name in red.

ZF, I think any body that has spent a life on the tools suffers in some way. Arthritis in my hands is my problem, its going to stop me pretty soon that's why I'm trying to get this MG B finished for our lad as quick as I can.

AO Gold Member

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfafamily View Post
I've been using glass beads for aluminium bits like the manifold in the picture. The trick with ally is to keep the air pressure low or it roughens the surface too much. It looks a bit like grey sand,maybe thats what you have AlfaJack.
That would be the problem, I usually have it on 80-100% pressure, perhaps a bit too much.

Here are some pics of some bits I have done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 155 Rocker Cover Sandblast 005.jpg (54.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00079 (Medium).JPG (71.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00080 (Medium).JPG (75.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00081 (Medium).JPG (81.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0821 (Medium).JPG (88.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0822 (Medium).JPG (72.5 KB, 3 views)
AO Silver Member

If those are before and after pics, I think you overdid it a bit on the cam cover !!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
blasting , sand

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page