How long to leave products on car ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 21-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
How long to leave products on car ?

This is a question that has always puzzled me but ive never found out the answer before

Im using Meguirs stuff ( if that makes any difference ?) - How long should i leave the polish and the wax on the car before buffing it off ?

Should i apply polish / wax to the whole car and then remove it all or should i do a panel at a time ?

Finally - ive heard of pro's masking off before they start polishing - What do you mask and what do you use to mask ( and probably self explanatory - but Why ?)Thanks,

dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Re: How long to leave products on car ?

I don't know what is best practice but I tend to apply to the whole car before taking it off. I try not to do it in direct sunlight but sometimes time doesn't allow for this.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Mask off when the Binks Bullows Barracuda is being used, or maybe when the Badger is deployed, for a few locals. Masking prior to polishing? To prevent the buffing head of the machine, marking the rubber and plastic components, and reduces the tendency for polish to get into small gaps and so on, and then having to dig it out afterwards?

I only hand polish, and any that gets into crevices, I just run a toothpick along the line. Easy Peasy, no way am I wasting masking tape prior to polishing. What on my meagre pension?
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Polish should be left on for a very sort time - basically until it has formed the haze, then polished off. Wax on the other hand, is apparently better the longer you can leave it on for.
Unregistered

County: Antrim

Member car:

147 1.6TS Lusso

glad someone has asked this as i've only got into car cleaning and wasn't sure of this myself.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

The instructions on most manufactured polishing/cleaning agents and so forth, are fairly precise, so do what is says on the label?:
AO Platinum Member

County: -

The thing is... the wax needs to dry...

Some products dry for 10 minutes, before being completely dried out and ready to buff, some products take hours before they are completely dry!

Most consumer products are designed to be easy to use, thus they can be buffed after 5-15 minutes. The really hardcore professional stuff have speciality products that don't use fast drying solvents so they take much longer!

I do have some products for sale that need atleast 24 hour drying time, before all the extra stuff (the ingredients that make waxes more liquid) dry off. and you have to wait another 24 hours after buffing for the buffed wax to really harden.

So it's mostly up to the wax (and the climate) how long it should be on before buffing.

And about waxing in direct sunlight... the sunlight it self isn't harmfull... what is, is that the sunlight heats up the cars paintwork, which in turn "burns" the wax that is applied on it making it harder to apply and polish.

What Do You Have When A Lawyer Is Buried Up To His Neck In Sand? Not Enough Sand.

- ✂- - - - - - - - - - - CUT HERE - - - - - - - - - - - ✂ -
Disclaimer:
This post is provided "As-is" without any warranty, not even the implied warranty of making any sense what so ever.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Read the instructions!

Sorry, I'm not being sarcastic, but all products are different and have to be treated differently.

Megs DC2 must not be left to dry. It is a WOWO (wipe on, wipe off) product.

Car-Lack Sealant has to be left for between 20 and 45 minutes! It's that critical.

Most waxes should dry, most polishes not, but when all else fails see what the manufactuer says.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
Most waxes should dry, most polishes not, but when all else fails see what the manufactuer says.
Yes, and if you do not know the difference of wax and polish, you shouldn't own a car
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

I own two cars.

What's the difference between wax and polish?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losparx View Post
I own two cars.

What's the difference between wax and polish?
Wax is the product that leaves a protective layer on your paintwork. You apply it to surface, leave to dry and buff off...

Polish is a product that is meant to restore the paint surface by removing a very thin layer of it. You just rub polish on (by hand or with a machine) and they are generally meant to be buffed off before they dry. Polishes only work while rubbing, they do nothing while they just sit on the surface (and dry).

A true polish doesn't leave a protective layer, while there are some products that have both polish and wax in them (sometimes refered as cleaner wax or polish wax etc.). These kinds of "waxes" should be rubbed harder while applying and be left on the surface to dry.

This said, I think it's very clear what the difference of wax and polish is

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
car , leave , long , products

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page