Cleaning engine bay - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 20-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

156 V6

Hmmm Cleaning engine bay

ello,im after cleaning my V6 ive managed to polish up the chrome intake runners they look now.
really fancy cleaning the head covers manifolds and coilpack covers.
and repainting them Green
like this here>>Alfa Romeo 156 Parts

any advise on how to clean them best product? what paint i should use and is it all poss without removing, as id have no idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: -
Re: Cleaning engine bay

I have a similar project going on on my just-bought V6

Some pictures of the engine now:
Autonhoito.info :: Näytä viesti - Moottorin hinkkailua

Used Mothers Chrome Polish on the chrome, and in the last picture the bar before the chrome pipes is a bit cleaner, after buffing it with Collinite Metal Wax

Lot's of work to do ... might end up painting some of the parts that cant be reconditioned anymore.

Will try Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish on the engine covers and see if it will make the covers look clean (but not shiny)
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

This is what I did to mine:

(Post Link) post #4 of 21 Old 27-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6

wow please tell how u managed that!!
(Post Link) post #5 of 21 Old 27-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasi View Post
I have a similar project going on on my just-bought V6

Some pictures of the engine now:
Autonhoito.info :: Näytä viesti - Moottorin hinkkailua

Used Mothers Chrome Polish on the chrome, and in the last picture the bar before the chrome pipes is a bit cleaner, after buffing it with Collinite Metal Wax

Lot's of work to do ... might end up painting some of the parts that cant be reconditioned anymore.

Will try Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish on the engine covers and see if it will make the covers look clean (but not shiny)
nice need to get some of that stuff.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicsy View Post
wow please tell how u managed that!!
1. First of all - golden rule - keep your engine bay as clean as possible. I wipe it down after every wash.

2. Cover was chrome plated by local electroplater. Makes it much easier to keep clean especially as this is where the oil filler cap is located.

3. All inside painted areas clayed, waxed and given a spritz of Quick detailer and wiped down every wash

4. All plastic covers and pipes treated with Aerospace 303 protectant. Far and away the best product on the market

5. Aluminium and plated parts polished with Meguiars NXT Metal Polysh. The cast aluminium I use the same product with a toothbrush and then wipe with a damp cloth. Don't try to polish the aluminium too hard as it will discolour.

6. White plastic reservoirs (coolant, brake fluid, power steering) all cleaned with APC to get stains off. This makes a huge difference to the appearance of an engine compartment
(Post Link) post #7 of 21 Old 27-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
1. First of all - golden rule - keep your engine bay as clean as possible. I wipe it down after every wash.

2. Cover was chrome plated by local electroplater. Makes it much easier to keep clean especially as this is where the oil filler cap is located.

3. All inside painted areas clayed, waxed and given a spritz of Quick detailer and wiped down every wash

4. All plastic covers and pipes treated with Aerospace 303 protectant. Far and away the best product on the market

5. Aluminium and plated parts polished with Meguiars NXT Metal Polysh. The cast aluminium I use the same product with a toothbrush and then wipe with a damp cloth. Don't try to polish the aluminium too hard as it will discolour.

6. White plastic reservoirs (coolant, brake fluid, power steering) all cleaned with APC to get stains off. This makes a huge difference to the appearance of an engine compartment
nice one mate it looks really good, how easy is it to remove the cover?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

4 x Alan Key bolts. Just watch out you dont lose the washers

It's just a cover. There is no gasket or anything.
(Post Link) post #9 of 21 Old 27-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6

Thanks
AO Member

Great tips...

What if your engine hasn't been touched in years.... For as long as I've owned the car, every time I take to a wash and ask them to do the engine compartment, they say they can't do it 'cos unlike the BMWs and Mercs, Alfas don't hide their engines under covers.

I want to get almost the same condition as Springbok's... but do I have to use a high pressure hose due to heavy dust and grime???
The last time I was forced to drive my car in about 1 1/5 feet of water, I just let it coast through until I got to a high dry spot. It was a narrow escape but due to that the timing belt tensioner tightened up over a period of 6 months and snapped the belt one day. I've just recently redone the engine, so I don't want to over wet the thing all wet again and go over another £850.

Car Domain Site
Follow me on twitter: @Julxrp
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

Not an Alfa :-(

Brace yourself!

It looks a little worse in the picture but once the condition is like this am I wasting my time in trying to restore this to anything like its former glory?

I have used the Autosol metal polish (since the pic) and there has been some improvement but pretty marginal. I also read that it is best not to put too much pressure on the aluminium when rubbing the polish.

I presume a bit of spray work is the only way forward. But has anyone had any joy with any products that have cleaned up something at this point????

Cheers,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0326.jpg (150.9 KB, 60 views)
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

I cannot offer any suggestions for the metal aside from trying the above mentioned techniques. For the plastic and rubber, it is much easier if you can remove them from the engine. Use a All Purpose Cleaner or some diluted engine cleaner to get them nice and clean. Sometimes it can take several cleans before this happens. For the dressing you effectively have 3 choices. Firstly a water based dressing such as 303, secondly a more durable dressing such as CarPro Dlux or finally use no dressing at all.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

You are going to really struggle to get that anodized aluminium to look good. I had the front cover chromium plated and the plenum is cleaned using a special paste from autosol but it was already in good nick. The plastics should come up nicely using Aerospace 303. The cambelt cover needs to be resprayed as it is rusting. The coolant reservoir is cheap as chips, just buy a new one. GTA's deserve to look good.
AO Platinum Member

I had my rocker covers epoxy coated in hi-power silver (like alloy wheels) since my chromer didn't think the cast aluminium would take to plating very well... though Springbok seems to show it works.

While the covers were off, I dismantled the inlet to get everything else cleaned up (fuel rails can be re-zinc'd and pipes re-chromed). That also allows you to get into the "V" to clean up in there too. There's a water pipe down there (probably a bit rusty) and all sorts of bits of dirt and grit. A vaccum will suck it out.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Member

Member car:

Thanks for the responses. I did not think there would be a magical solution to return it to a presentable fashion. I agree that it is nearly criminal the state it is in, not had the car too long and many other more pressing costs have been outlayed. Its in a good place at the moment so should be able to look at tidying up what is probably the best looking engine this side of a supercar. Would never even have considered spending a fair bit on the appearance of an engine before.
AO Member

Member car:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/303-Aerospac...ace+protectant

Is this the 303 stuff that I should be looking for to clean up all the rubber / plastic under there?

Cheers,
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Yes it is, BUT I would use an APC to clean all the dirt and muck off and then apply 303 to dress the engine. It will protect the parts and give a nice finish.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejackson View Post
I cannot offer any suggestions for the metal aside from trying the above mentioned techniques. For the plastic and rubber, it is much easier if you can remove them from the engine. Use a All Purpose Cleaner or some diluted engine cleaner to get them nice and clean. Sometimes it can take several cleans before this happens. For the dressing you effectively have 3 choices. Firstly a water based dressing such as 303, secondly a more durable dressing such as CarPro Dlux or finally use no dressing at all.
+1 Carpro Dlux all the way for me...

I use this with excellent results...
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markmbr41 View Post
+1 Carpro Dlux all the way for me...

I use this with excellent results...

BMW X6 Carpro C.Quartz Ceramic Protection Detail

AO Member

Member car:

CarPro Cquartz DLUX 30ml Kit - For Wheels and Plastic Trim - Clean Your Car

This I presume?

That is a pretty good result on the X6, easier to achieve on a 2/3yr old x6 than a 10yr old Alfa though...

Will give it a go. Thanks for the responses.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphant View Post
CarPro Cquartz DLUX 30ml Kit - For Wheels and Plastic Trim - Clean Your Car

This I presume?

That is a pretty good result on the X6, easier to achieve on a 2/3yr old x6 than a 10yr old Alfa though...

Will give it a go. Thanks for the responses.
Try this too...will give you great results whether its 6yrs old or 16yrs old..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
bay , cleaning , engine

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page