Please Help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 18-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Brera S No. 89

Please Help

I have a 2 week old Brera in Carbonio Black that I can't get clean. The car was treated from new with Supagaurd so I though keeping it clean would be easier but I've washed it twice now, Once with the anti acid shampoo supplied by Supagaurd and once with Auto Glym shampoo. Its been dried with a synthetic shamy and a microfibre cloth but unless I wax it I can't get rid of the water marks (even on the glass). Its realy doing my head in as I hate to see my beutifull new car covered in spots.
Does anyone have any ideas on a way forward, I dont mind waxing the car but I dont want to do it everytime I wash it, Plus the sales bumf from Supagaurd says I shouldn't need to for 3 years (dont believe that for a minute)
Thanks in advance
Dean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

Alfetta GTV6

Re: Please Help

When you dry the car you can use something like Quick detailer or Megs Last Touch and a Microfibre cloth. These are water displacers so they help with the drying but also add to the shine.

Another way of doing it is by using filtered water, but I have not tried this myself so can't vouch for results and can't advise where to get the filters.

You are right not to believe that Supaguard will last 3 years, 6 months maybe but definately not 3 years.

Tony
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Bear with me here folks, AutoGlym have a product called instant bike shine. It's exactly the stuff to use when you don't want to wax the car but need to give it a little rub. It's an aerosol tin with what I guess is watered down resin polish and it wipes on and off a treat. Takes me bout 10mins to get the water marks of my car with this stuff and the finish looks great. It costs £5.99 from most motorcycle shops.

Hope that helps.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

I've just started to use a 'clay bar' with some of that spray detailer, that was supplied with it. Reasonable results, well.... shiny and pretty much glass smooth now.:
AO Member

County: Durham

Hi Gibi, see you are another Black S owner congrats

OK If its been treated SG then you should take it back to the people who treated your car as its not doing what its supposed to, but if you do want to do it your self.............

Clay bar, this will remove contaminates and leave your paint clean but probably won't get rid of the marks but worth doing as part of the process. Apply the following in that order, Idealy you need a machien polisher but if not use microfibre hand pads and cloth's, or bring it to me

Clean and Shiny Store - Chemical Guys Citrus Wash (Powered by CubeCart)

Clean and Shiny Store - Sonus Green Ultra Fine Clay Bar (Powered by CubeCart)

or

Zymol Cleaning - Zymol HD Cleanse. CS201
Use the above if doing it by hand

Clean and Shiny Store - Sonus Green Ultra Fine Clay Bar (Powered by CubeCart)

Then finish with a good wax ie DODO Juice

Result

Last edited by AlfaStealth; 19-09-08 at 18:40.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

I still finished with Zymol, and then a light breeze over with a silicone impregnated microfibre. I'm addicted to that Oh! so sweet smelling Zymol, so quite enjoy sprucing up the paintwork.:
AO Member

County: Durham

Use the Jetseal 109 to seal your wheels you wont be sorry
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

I hate the supagaurd type products.

Try using something like Aquawax (light application) when the cars been washed and rinsed and then dry & buff with a decent microfiber cloth.

Last edited by Squadrone Rosso; 19-09-08 at 14:01.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Brera S

It sounds to me as if the supaguard treatment hasn't been put on correctly so what looks like water marks are the bits they've missed/too thin.I reckon a quite harsh claying will take this off and leave you with a surface you can work with.Just make sure she's really clean(twice) before you clay her.
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 19-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Brera S No. 89

thanks for the repilies everyone.
I've spoke to the dealer and the cars going back next friday and there going to re polish the car and see if the problem goes. I'm begining to wish I'd saved my money with the supagaurd, I was a bit sceptical when he mentioned having it but as the cars black I thought it may help keep it looking good. At the end of the day theres no substitute for a decent polish and a couple of hours work.
I'll let you know how I get on next friday
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

AG AquaWax works well on the Carbonia 159. Without it the water marks are bad
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

2002 GTV T.Spark

If it helps i use warm water not hot, and not too much shampoo.Use a micro fibre wash mit and wash early in the morning or later in the evening.If the panels on the car are warm dont wash it. I also do the wheels first with one bucket so that i can wash and hose the body without having to stop.This helps to stop the body drying out and leaving marks.When using the hose i dont spray, just let the water run. The water will run off easier leaving very little left on the body.After with a clean micro fibre mit, wipe over the car to remove remaining water then buff with a clean (dry) micro fibre polish cloth.

Well that's the way i do it anyway

Anonima Lambarda Fabbrica automobili

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page