SR's top tips for a gleaming Car with mainly Autoglym products - Updated 17/2/09 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 108 Old 05-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Thumbs Up SR's top tips for a gleaming Car with mainly Autoglym products - Updated 17/2/09

OK. Every one has their own routine but below is mine.

Our cars are usually spotless and FYI, my old 156 got chosen to represent the face lift 156's at NAD 2007 and our GT got chosen as the car everyone wanted to take home at an AROC fun concours last year (winning us a free service).

Wheels

I always do the wheels first. Use a separate bucket with wash & wax and warm water in it.

Next, a good hosing then spray with AG's acid free wheel cleaner or their regular acid based stuf if needs must. Agitate with the AG wheel brush or the Sonic Scrubber for the hard to reach bits like the GT's rims or the Brembo callipers. Then use a small sponge on the rest and tyres (Tesco non stick pan cleaners are ideal).

On to the wash

To avoid the swirls, I always pre-treat the car with a 50/50 mix of water and wash & wax, sprayed on with a trigger bottle. Leave for a bit then hose off (I never use a pressure washer).

EDIT I've recently become a Snow Foam convert. Apply via the spray bottle on a pressure washer lance after filling the bottle with a 50/50 SF & water mix. Leave on for no more than 5 minutes and then pressue wash off using the wide fan soft spray setting on the lance.

Once the car is really soaked, I use two Megs grit guard buckets and two decent quality (Tesco finest are great) dual sided wash mitts in warm water mixed with either Zip Wax or AG's conditioner shampoo.

Always ensure the car is kept really wet and dip the mitts often. Also, start at the top and work down. I wash in a straight line too (not circular motions) again to help avoid the swirls.

You can optionally rinse & clay at this stage if your car was really grubby. I do this twice a year (after winter & after summer) and the new Bilt Hamber Autoclay Soft seems to win all the tests for performance & easy of use. Just ensure the surface is wet as this needs to act as a lubricant to allow the clay to glide.

The finish

Finally, after a good rinse, on with the AG Aqua Wax (or Express Wax in 5 litre trade form) but make sure the car is really clean & really wet from the final rinse when you apply and do not go overboard with it.

Dry & shine with a decent quality microfibre cloth. I avoid those flexi blades at all cost because one small beut of grit means disaster

If you want to be extra particular, finally buff up with a fresh dry microfibre cloth (only really needed if it started to dry before removal).

It's a wax so will only shine, not polish & fill swirls like SRP. It contains Carnuba hence the nice smell

Wheels & tyres

Once dry, wax & protect the wheels with a suitable wheel sealer such as AG's Alloy Wheel Sealer or Turtle Wax nano protect wheel sealer. Try not to spray on the disks though so spray on a cloth first and then apply. A little goes a long way. Allow to dry then buff off to a shine.

For the tyres, AG's Instant Tyres Shine is excellent, again applied with a very small sponge to avoid getting it on the alloys.

This makes the cleaning of your wheels & tyres much easier next time around

Hey presto, a gleaming ride and with not a lot of effort

To note, I polish & wax the car about every three months using a combination of AG SRP (for the Ti), AG UDS (for the GT), EGP as a finish and now the new HD wax as the ultimate shine for shows such as SAD, NAD & MITCAR.

Aqua Wax is perfect for the in between months

Hope this is of some interest & of help to you

Cheers,

Simon

Daily Driver FIAT Panda Cross Twinair Stunning Giulia 115 Spider Series 4 fine weather toy

Wife's Daily Brilliant Toyota GT86

AROC South Wales Section Secretary

Last edited by Squadrone Rosso; 17-02-09 at 14:17.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

paintergirl

re: SR's top tips for a gleaming Car with mainly Autoglym products - Updated 17/2/09

Saturday before AID I'll be round for a demo on my Spider Si

(Post Link) post #3 of 108 Old 05-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

re: SR's top tips for a gleaming Car with mainly Autoglym products - Updated 17/2/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintergirl View Post
Saturday before AID I'll be round for a demo on my Spider Si
Having keyhole spinal surgery on Monday so no clean cars for me unless I can rope GTleigh & Clare into helping

Will defo be at AID though
paintergirl

Excuses, excuses

Smallville

Good thread mate!!

A question for you though, how do you get rid of fine scratches and swirl marks??

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 650
County: Leicestershire

Roughly how long does it take to do all that....
(Post Link) post #7 of 108 Old 05-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunn 147 View Post
Good thread mate!!

A question for you though, how do you get rid of fine scratches and swirl marks??
There are virtually none on my Ti as I've had her from new so have always followed my routine

Any mild abrasive will get rid of the swirls (T Cut, Megs Scratch ex or AG's paint renovator etc) but it's a long job and needs to be done carefully & properly. Polishes such as SRP or UDS have slight cutting properties but they mainly just just mask the swirls by filling them up.

Post surgery, I hope to be able to de-swirl the GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddersgt View Post
Roughly how long does it take to do all that....
Perhaps and hour 15 with the Ti, slightly longer with the GT as the wheels are a swine to clean

A labour of love.
AO Gold Member

County: North Yorkshire

excellent thread matey, I do indeed know nack-all about washing/cleaning/detailing etc, but do now.
AO Silver Member

County: Fife

Member car:

500 twinair

Similar to mine, except less variety of products!

Those abrasive polishes you mention are hard work and can do more damage if not used properly.
Although SRP only mostly fills the defects, a couple of coats of it topped with a couple of coats of a good wax and all the finish will last a good length of time.
Its still considered and recomended by many pros as one of the most capable correction polishes that can be readily bought and easily used.
AO Silver Member

You've got too much time on your hands matey
(Post Link) post #11 of 108 Old 05-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I did say "properly & carefully" regarding the abrasives P17. They can ruin a paint job if you go in too hard

Last edited by Squadrone Rosso; 05-09-08 at 19:05.
(Post Link) post #12 of 108 Old 05-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLeigh View Post
You've got too much time on your hands matey

Did I mention GTleigh's top tips for ruining an alloy wheel???
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
Having keyhole spinal surgery on Monday so no clean cars for me unless I can rope GTleigh & Clare into helping

Will defo be at AID though
Only just seen this,nafter the stick you've given me for scraping my alloy you can do it your bl**dy self, surgery or not !!
(Post Link) post #14 of 108 Old 05-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLeigh View Post
Only just seen this,nafter the stick you've given me for scraping my alloy you can do it your bl**dy self, surgery or not !!

Got in before you See you tomorrow
Rosso145

Jeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - I thought I was fussy!

AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Very nice thread and it just goes to show that it is attention to detail and a good washing regime that makes all the difference not just the products used.
Rosso145

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
Very nice thread and it just goes to show that it is attention to detail and a good washing regime that makes all the difference not just the products used.
Agreed and use better products for an even better result.

(Post Link) post #18 of 108 Old 05-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Thumbs Up re: SR's top tips for a gleaming Car with mainly Autoglym products - Updated 17/2/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
Thanks, indeed. As I said in my opening line, everyone has their own routine and preference for a specific product. I've stuck to my routine for 21 years and all my cars have always been mint.

I must say that the Megs Gritguard buckets are excellent. Expensive (£20 each IIRC) but certainly worth it
AO Member

County: Essex

Nice thread SR

Quick question. The AG non acid wheel cleaner, which one is that please? 'Clean Wheels' or 'Custom Wheel Cleaner'

Ta.
(Post Link) post #20 of 108 Old 05-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Custom is the non acid version. I buy it bulk trade as acid free wheel cleaner.
AO Silver Member

County: Fife

Member car:

500 twinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
I did say "properly & carefully" regarding the abrasives P17. They can ruin a paint job if you go in too hard
Sorry SR, forgot about that when I was replying.......never mind its a reminder for others.
paintergirl

Well SR, I just followed your spray the car with water and AG Shampoo and Wax mixture before washing it and how much easier is it to wash!

Great tip!!

(Post Link) post #23 of 108 Old 07-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintergirl View Post
Well SR, I just followed your spray the car with water and AG Shampoo and Wax mixture before washing it and how much easier is it to wash!

Great tip!!

Cool Jules. Hope to see you, the Spider & your fella this coming weekend
Founder of AO

County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Thought id mention that there are Autoglym products available in the AOShop with more products following shortly.
(Post Link) post #25 of 108 Old 07-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaowner View Post
Thought id mention that there are Autoglym products available in the AOShop with more products following shortly.
Cheers Ian Sorry for the omission

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
autoglym , car , gleaming , products , tips , top , updated

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page