New car - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 27-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9JTDm

New car

I am just about to take delivery of a new GT cloverleaf in black, I declined the dealer offer of paint sealant etc as I want to get it as good as I can myself as I am sure with care and effort I will make a better job than the dealer.Was thinking of the Autoglym polish then thier wax/sealant stuff.
I have confused myself with the endless products that are avaliable.
What would be peoples advise on products and processes for a new car ?

Chris.

PS none of the 200 stuff as I have skint myself buying the car !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

NFN
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 X reg

Re: New car

congrats on your GT ! "Enjoy"

Your right to decline the dealer paint protection system, many tests have proved it to be no better than decent sealants and wax !

Black is a very hard car to keep clean, and shows up all the swirl marks etc... i have a black Jag as well as the wifes Red Alfa hers always looks "wow" and mine looks "wow" for a day then just crappy" again !

most people have there fav products hence the array of products, but seeing how its new and its black and you want ? durability i.e not wax it every few weeks ? if your like me wax every few months then go for products that are rated for there durability.

even a brand new car needs a good going over with clay as this creates the glass like surface for the products to adhere too and last, plus also removing contaminats that polish's can't.

so i would start by claying the whole car as this will not need doing for another 12 months or so, meaning once its done its a job out of the way , and i must stress its well worth doing and makes a huge difference to the finish and shine.

then the product choice is up to you ????????

but AG SRP and EGP is a good choice and the SRP has fillers which will mask any fine swirls.

personally i swear by Carlack 68 paint cleaner followed by collinite 476 wax , its a lot easier to use then AG and lasts much longer and beads water for months compared to AG. (i did a 50/50 roof test)

both the above can be purchased online all in for 25 so its not expensive and that includes the applicators and microfibre cloths well worth the money !

i do the wheels as well ! after all there painted !!! and i have never needed to use a wheel cleaner just wash off.

and works great on black !

GTV 3.0 V6
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Hi Chris.

As stated elswhere, good to see you back on AO

You'll get differing views but as you know my cars and how I keep them hence I trust you'll accept my advice.

Personally, I stick with Autoglym products from the off.

You might want to consider buying yourself a genuine AG Life Shine kit off the bay. If you do, wash the car thoroughly first and then Clay your car with a Megs Quick Clay kit before application.

I didn't bother though. AG Aqua Wax (or Express Wax) is really excellent. It's magic to be honest

After a wash (using a Megs grit gaurd bucket, some decent wash / wax shampoo and some dual sided microfibre wash mitts - tesco's finest are great), rinse it off and while it's still wet, spray lightly with the Aquawax (smells lush, like hubba bubba gum) then dry / buff with a decent microfibre cloth.

Every now and again (and definatley from new), remove any tar (claying or a solvent will do this) and treat it to a coat of AG Ultra Deep Shine or even better, the new and excellent HD wax.

Another suggestion is to get the sills covered in stone chip film to prevent the rubbing from the bottom door rubbers. Top the film off with those sexy Alfa kickplates.

All good stuff fella

Cheers,

Simon

Simon

Daily Driver FIAT Panda Cross Twinair Stunning Giulia 115 Spider Series 4 fine weather toy

Wife's Daily Brilliant Toyota GT86

AROC South Wales Section Secretary
NFN
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 X reg

results of AG tests ?

not saying its not good becuase it is ! just that there are better products than AG out there and unless people try them then everybody will be just using AG, i can polish and wax a car in half the time using my stuff compared to AG SRP which also leaves white residue all over the place !

just looking for some open minds !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test-panels-1b.jpg (53.0 KB, 24 views)
(Post Link) post #5 of 10 Old 27-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9JTDm

I have the kick plates (almost lost them the deal as I pushed for them foc !!! and almost walked but they gave in, £200 worth, the salesman had his head in his hands by the time we'd finished)
So clay it first, then use the SRP then the UDS ?
Been a bit wary of ebay life shine kits are they genuine ?

Chris
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Aviation View Post
I have the kick plates (almost lost them the deal as I pushed for them foc !!! and almost walked but they gave in, 200 worth, the salesman had his head in his hands by the time we'd finished)
So clay it first, then use the SRP then the UDS ?
Been a bit wary of ebay life shine kits are they genuine ?

Chris
The lifeshine kit I got was genuine & from a Fiat dealer

UDS is a standalone product. SRP then EGP (extra gloss protection).

HD Wax is their new stuff and it's superd
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFN View Post
results of AG tests ?

not saying its not good becuase it is ! just that there are better products than AG out there and unless people try them then everybody will be just using AG, i can polish and wax a car in half the time using my stuff compared to AG SRP which also leaves white residue all over the place !

just looking for some open minds !
I like Bilthamber Autobalm but it is a pig to use. Mine also appears to be going off, going a funny colour must contact them to ask if it's ok to use. AG doesn't leave white residue unless you're overdoing it and applying too thick. Nice a thin and virtually zero dust.
AO Platinum Member

Aye! AG doesn't make dust... Mer does though.

Both give the same sort of finish in my experience (shine and durabiity) but I'd say that Mer (apart from the dust) is the easier to apply.

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

The nice thing about a new car is that you are starting with "a clean palette". I wouldn't let any dealer TOUCH a new car. They will "valet" it bwahahahaha and deliver it shiny but covered in swirls and scratches. Especially on a black car this will drive you insane. If you are not confident doing it yourself then this is the one time when it would pay you to get a professional detailer to prepare your new car for you. The dealer's nose might be a little out of joint but **** him anyway.

There are endless debates about products most of which are quite pointless especially the AG brigade vs the rest but with a black car the really important thing is to have a good washing regime to prevent swirls.

1. Rinse well to start
2. Use the two bucket method
3. Use a wash mitt NOT a spomge
4. Use a waffle weave or microfibre cloth to dry NOT a chamois
5. Use a Quick Detailer in between washes to keep the shine up and the dust down

Good luck
AO Member

I would agree it's worth claying the car first, but as to which products to use because you have a black car I would suggest Blackfire gloss enhancing polish, followed by Blackfire wet diamond all finish paint protection and then finish with their Midnight sun paste wax. I have used these products and the the protection/finish is fantastic.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
car

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page