Repair of stone chips / scratches - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 09-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: East Ayrshire

Member car:

156 JTS

Repair of stone chips / scratches

I have a silver 156 and I want it to look as good as I can get it. Posted previously about hints for starting with body repairs and spraying but still not sure.

Colour code for my car is 694MET. How many / what types of coat should I give this if I repair scratches etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Re: Repair of stone chips / scratches

Silver home spraying, a paint match is unlikely. For small scratches down to the primer touch them in, build just proud of the surface then using 2000 grit wet and dry to flat off, followed by some t-cut to restore the shine. Should look pretty good. For scratches that haven't damaged the base coat a rubbing compound followed by t-cut should solve. Go careful using wet and dry and rubbing compounds, break the clear and your stuffed.

Anything beyond key marks and light scratches is better left to a bodyshop or SMART repair man who will match and blend the paint in.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 11-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: East Ayrshire

Member car:

156 JTS

Thanks for the reply - it's something I have never really done before and have wanted to try / learn for a while. Think I will put off touching my own car for a bit. I have a couple of new panels that came with a Peugeot 106 my wife had but has no longer so I might practice a bit on them and see what results are. Some of the marks are quite light so will try a rubbing compound on the car first once I get some.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

From my experience, touching up stone chips is harder than it looks and I would advise you to leave it to the professionals. Once the clearcoat is penetrated it is very difficult to correct.

Minor scratches and marks are another thing altogether and you would be surprised how many will come out with a little patience and elbow grease. If your finger nail catches in the scratch then it normally means it is too deep to correct.

A good start would be to buy some Meguiars Scratch X and follow the instructions. Don't forget to re-apply wax afterwards as all protection will have been removed.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
chips , repair , scratches , stone

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page