Black car, swirl marks and fairy liquid - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 29 Old 21-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2.0TS

Black car, swirl marks and fairy liquid

I know it will be impossible to get the swirls marks out without an orbital buffer and a fair amount of skill and frankly I'm not too bothered...

However, if there is anything I can do by hand and a couple of hours of effort to improve things a bit I'm happy to give it a go (once I've finished claying the thing which will take the rest of my life...)

I bought some Sonus paint cleaner thinking it would help but after continued reading I believe that will do nothing to the swirl marks - it will just help to deepen the black a little before the final sealant (some meguairs Nxt 2.0 wax)

I'm just looking for a step between claying and applying the paint cleaner that might soften the swirl marks a little. There's a review of Autoglym paint renovator against meguiars scratch-x somewhere that suggests the autoglym might be quite good. Will this help at all? If so, how best to apply it (foam pad? technique?)

I do have a (really old) bottle of autoglym super resin polish in the garage but I don't think this is abrasive at all - is this basically a wax/sealent? I'm not sure if I should use it with the other products I bought.

Sorry this post is getting longer than intended! But finally, I was just wondering if it was worth washing it once in washing up liquid to remove whatever wax is already on it - and start from a blank canvas. I thought it might make the other products (clay, renovator, cleaner) do their job better if they were working directly on paint and not on a layer of wax - or am I completely wrong about that?

Thanks all!

Last edited by davylynne; 21-06-08 at 10:20. Reason: typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member
166/164 Lounge Winner 09

County: Victoria

Member car:

Re: Black car, swirl marks and fairy liquid

I've just finished doing mine with clay, super resin polish and then meguiars carnuba wax and I'm very happy with the results. Hasn't completely removed swirls but they're much less noticable.

But then again my car is red and yours isn't so results may vary.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Hi Davylynne,

Sorry, I'm not stalking you on the forum but couldn't help noticing your other thread which I replied to as well.

This is what IMHO you should do.

1. Wash car really well. I would use a car shampoo
2. Apply paint cleaner to clean off as much old crud as you can
3. Clay the car
4. Wash it again
5. Apply a polish like Meguiars Step 2
6. You could try correcting some of the scratches with a product like ScratchX , but be warned that if you try and do the whole car with it, it is extremely tiime consuming and very hard work. The polish should make a huge difference.
7. Finally apply a wax. NXT 2.0 is good.

I hope this helps.
(Post Link) post #4 of 29 Old 21-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2.0TS

No problem. I really appreciate the help!

You would say use the paint cleaner before clay? I was going to do it the other way around. I already have a bottle of sonus paint cleaner which I thought was for pre-waxing. I may try it tomorrow and then decide how much polish it really needs.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by davylynne View Post
No problem. I really appreciate the help!

You would say use the paint cleaner before clay? I was going to do it the other way around. I already have a bottle of sonus paint cleaner which I thought was for pre-waxing. I may try it tomorrow and then decide how much polish it really needs.
There have been a couple of debates on various forums about this.

The thing is, if the paintwork is as bad as you say it is, then I can't see any harm in cleaning it up first before you clay. Otherwise you are going to really wreck the clay. Clay is only supposed to be for removing bonded contaminants and leaving the surface mirror smooth in readiness for polishing and waxing so in your case I think you should first apply the paint cleaner and then clay.

Maybe we will get another opinion.
Admin Team

County: Hertfordshire

another opinion here!

But its the same as yours
the clay is just for bonded contaminants that do not shift easy - I would use the paint cleaner first then the clay. Don't use fairy liquid at all!!!
the autoglymn paint restorer is good but hard work! I would use a meguiars wax to finish it off too mine has a few swrils too, i used the paint restorer over some of it (after the blay bar and meguiars quick detailer) and finished it off with a meguiars wax and it was so shiny you couldn't really notice the swirls anymore just depends how bad they are I guess - if they are really bad it will need mopping with a rubbing compound. Good luck with it and post some pics after

GTV TS - R.I.P 156 V6 - R.I.P GTV V6 - R.I.P 147 Selespeed - Who knows
147 GTA - Gone but never forgotten Brera nice while it lasted

Last edited by Alfa Vincent; 22-06-08 at 08:34.
(Post Link) post #7 of 29 Old 22-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2.0TS

Cheers guys. I'll get started on the paint cleaner - although the sun has come out today which is rather annoying when I've got a car to clean!

Just to check: the paint cleaner directions say to use a (their brand) sponge applicator. Will a microfibre do the job?

Last edited by davylynne; 22-06-08 at 08:27.
Admin Team

County: Hertfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by davylynne View Post
Cheers guys. I'll get started on the paint cleaner - although the sun has come out today which is rather annoying when I've got a car to clean!

Just to check: the paint cleaner directions say to use a (their brand) sponge applicator. Will a microfibre do the job?
I would have thought a microfibre would have been better
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

Alfa GT

Use high quality polishes and cloths

Wash
Clay
Polish by hand with Meguiars Intensive polish
then something like Blackfire Polish
followed by Blackfire All weather protection (wax)

I think that should do it, thats what I use on my black GTV...comes up very nice!
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

147 GTA

Sorry whats "clay" ?

And what does it do ?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Detailing Clay is just what it says. It is a block of very fine clay which, when rubbed over the surface of the paint work, lifts off the bonded contaminants (these are the small specs of dirt which have become embeded into the paintwork). No amount of washing will remove them but clay will. You first need to wash and dry your car. Then, using a lubricant spray, you gently rub the clay over the surface and leave a perfectly smooth finish onto which you can then apply polish and wax. Most clay kits come with a bottle of Quick Detailer which can be used as a lubricant.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

I would do the following

Wash car well
Clay car
Sonus Paint cleaner
Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Bilthamber Autobalm which was very good swirl filling properties

You can buy Autobalm straight from the manufacturers here Corrosion Protection - Rust Removal - Car Wax - Car Polish - Bilt-Hamber UK They also sell a clay which only requires water to lubricate.
AO Silver Member

I have really bad problems with swirling on my black 156. I gave it a going over with t-cut to cut some of the swirls out, and then some auto glym super resin polish to fill some in. It made a noticeable improvement, although still far from perfect, but it's just as bad as it was before again now. Needs regular maintenance and it's really hard to keep on top of it
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
I have really bad problems with swirling on my black 156. I gave it a going over with t-cut to cut some of the swirls out, and then some auto glym super resin polish to fill some in. It made a noticeable improvement, although still far from perfect, but it's just as bad as it was before again now. Needs regular maintenance and it's really hard to keep on top of it
You don't say whether you are applying a wax on top of the SRP. If not then all that is happening is that the fillers in the SRP are coming out and once again the swirls are revealed.

Also you may want to look at your washing method as black is a very unforgiving colour and shows up all the swirls. These could be being induced while you are washing. Are you using the two bucket method?
Drying the car with a chamois? Good quality shampoo etc.
AO Silver Member

Yeah obviously I use wax on top of the polish. Washed with zymol shampoo and a microfibre mitt, and very delicately too - light pressure and frequent rinsing to avoid scratching it up - and then chamois dried.

Just no avoiding it really
AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire

the best way i have found to remove swirl marks is to polish the car more frequently. i use auto glym super resin (it is very slightly abrasive) after every wash, and was the car at least once a fortnight. within a couple of months you should be pretty much swirl free.

that deep wet look gloss you see on some cars can only really be achieved by lots of regular polishing..
AO Silver Member

I do normally give mine a coat of wax after washing it, and try to wash it every week or two, but generally am too lazy to wax and polish - going over the whole car twice... sigh, needs to be done though doesn't it
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Quote:

..................... - and then chamois dried.

Just no avoiding it really
And theres your problem. Chamois is the worst thing for swirls. It is so smooth that any little bits of grit and dust get scraped across the surface and cause swirls. Try using a waffle weave towel like a Meguiars Water Magnet or even a large microfibre cloth.

As you are drying the car give the paintwork a spritz of Quick Detailer and you will find that it dries quicker and glossier.
AO Member

AG SRP (super resin polish) contains fillers to fill the light scratches with. Use this product regulary DON'T use fairly liquid as this will strip the SRP you've put down use a PH neutal shampoo such as megs NXT shampoo which will not strip wax from the car. I'd also follow up the SRP with a decent wax IE Petes 53 or a dodo juice wax to maximise the shine and hide the swirls.

You also don't need to clay every wash just every 6 months > 12 months depending on how contaminated your body work gets. I used to live nex to factories and yellow contaminent would be on the car every wash (every 2 weeks) so I would have to clay but now I've moved its once every 6 months and still very little on the car so I may up it to once a year. But remember using 'polish' or claying the car will begin to remove the wax. (not something you want to do when trying to hide swirls).

astraman

I want an Alfa GT
(Post Link) post #20 of 29 Old 23-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2.0TS

Thanks for everyones tips - I treated it to Sonus paint cleanser, AG paintwork restorer (just rubbing it over some major scratches - not attempting to remove the swirls with it) and AG super resin polish.

The scratches are much less visible but now its all clean and shiny I've discovered my bonnet (in direct sunshine) is not actually black - its dark grey! It appears to have had a really poor spray job at some point in its life.

So there's zero chance it will ever have a deep shine
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
And theres your problem. Chamois is the worst thing for swirls. It is so smooth that any little bits of grit and dust get scraped across the surface and cause swirls. Try using a waffle weave towel like a Meguiars Water Magnet or even a large microfibre cloth.

As you are drying the car give the paintwork a spritz of Quick Detailer and you will find that it dries quicker and glossier.
I do have a Water Magnet towel but it seemed to be even worse! Not a pleasant product at all to use so I went back to the chamois
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Quote:
I do have a Water Magnet towel but it seemed to be even worse! Not a pleasant product at all to use so I went back to the chamois
Can't understand why your water magnet/waffle weave towel should be worse than a chamois? Are you washing it everytime after use?

1. Low heat
2. No fabric softener
3. Tumble dry
4. Fold up and store in a drawer or cupboard

Should be soft, fluffy and extremely absorbant.

Another tip is to allow the water to "sheet" off the body panels during the last rinse, using a gentle flow of water without a nozzle on the hose pipe. If done correctly this will leave virtually no water to wipe off which reduces the contact between cloth and body panels.

Good luck mate! I know how frustrating swirls are with darker coloured cars.
(Post Link) post #23 of 29 Old 25-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2.0TS

Try laying the towel / chamois on the paintwork and patting it. Not so efficient perhaps but less likely to scratch!

If only the previous owner had done this....
AO Member

I'd like to recomend not using a chamois at all. They have no pile so any very small peices of dirt even micrscopic dirt and grit can be rubbed over your clean body work producing swirls. Likewise you shouldn't really drag a towel over the surface of your car. Instead lay the towel on your car and pat it dry. Then lift and redo.

This is what I use CLICK ME

You can almost do an entire Vauxhall Astra hatchback with just 1 of these although I'd recommend getting 2 or 3 because if your cleaning your car on a nice day the last thing you want is for it to dry before you've had chance to get to it with your drying towel. The reason for this is because of the impurities in the water will be left behind after the remaining water has evaporated from the car. So you'll end up with a dirty car again causing you to clean it once again.
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

alph a ramayo

Spray it matt black , no need to polish at all

Only joking , its good for morale

On a serious note what do you guys think of Mer and is it worth using.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
black , car , fairy , liquid , marks , swirl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page