ChipsAway - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 30 Old 17-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

2001 V6 GTV Q2

ChipsAway

Has anyone used ChipsAway to remove stone chips etc. I recently posted on here about "touch-up paint", found some on paints4u and nearly ordered but thought I'd push the boat out see if I could get them professionally done.

Having just spoken to them on the phone they sound pretty good. They'll match the paint (Nuvola blue) and airbrush it in where it's needed (bonnet and doors mainly).

Has anyone ever used their services?...good?...bad?

Opinions appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Re: ChipsAway

Unfortunately never used them so can't comment. I think the results will be quite good but don't expect perfection and you shouldn't be dissapointed.
Admin Team

County: Hertfordshire

I think OA has used them a few times and been happy with the results
GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

Used them twice with excellent results.
Once for a half brick that hit the top of the wing on my 147 Silver metallic.... brilliant job
And once on Senior Management's Ka

But they are franchises so go and visit your local one and have a look at the quality of the work they are doing.
AO Member

I ve used them, they are not bad, very quick and you can stand and watch if you want. The one I used was in Bedford and were very nice people too.
(Post Link) post #6 of 30 Old 18-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

2001 V6 GTV Q2

With that then I'll plan a trip over to the one in Preston on Friday. I'll let you know how I get on.
AO Member

Member car:

147 2.0 TS Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossa View Post
With that then I'll plan a trip over to the one in Preston on Friday. I'll let you know how I get on.
How did you get on with the Preston ChipsAway, I'm thinking of giving them a call for decent size stone chip on bonnet?
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

I've used chips away a couple of times and they've done a top job......... I'd certsinly recommend the guy I've used........ But bear in mind they are a franchise so service around the country might be different.

Cheers to All
Peter
AlfaLincs

Mixed feelings about Chips Away.

I scratched the metallic blue tailgate on my Kia Sorento with a bike rack, so I called them in. It was not a big scratch. but was quite deep.

The repair is OK, the paint match good, but the crunch comes when you examine it under sodium light. It shows the sprayed patch up, and in all honesty its very very hard to get the metallic flecks to orientate in the same direction as the original no matter who you are.

With care I could have done as good a repair myself, and saved 80. I am not saying he did a bad job, because its not a bad job by any means, but for what was achieved 80 was a lot.

Mrs A can't see what I'm going on about incidentally, so it must be a fairly good repair.

AlfaLincs

Araihead

Used them twice and very chuffed with the £85 per dent I paid. Car was as good as new after they've finished, well to the naked eye anyways.
Wil used them again, but hope not any time too soon....touch wood.

AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

Used them a few times and the local guy is pretty good - dont know if they all oprovide the same level of service.

I have seen a few people on here say that they wouldnt use them again.

AO Silver Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

GTV V6

I need to find out if they are any good in south west london
(Post Link) post #13 of 30 Old 20-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

2001 V6 GTV Q2

I visited the branch in Preston. The guy took one look and just said "Ooh. That'll be really hard to match". Didn't give me huge amounts of confidece but my car's Nuvola Blue, a difficult colour to match. I ended up using Paints4U who supply the paint matched to your colour code. Worked a treat on my paint chips. I got a base coat, colour coat and a top clear coat for less than £30. Think Chips Away quoted about £200 for the work.
Oggy_GTA

On my Brilliant Blue paint I would say the results are not good. Better than leaving it scratched/chipped but nowhere near the quality you'd expect from a proper job. All in all, I would say, take it to a trusted paintshop and get the whole panel done. Certainly for multiple stonechips on the same area, using chipsaway is false economy.

For alloy wheel touch ups, they're not too bad, but again it's just a patch-up job and the finish will be pretty rough compared to original.

AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

As I put in my earlier post. The guy i used a couple of times from chips away was top notch. He did a couple of jobs for me on a Pale metallic blue BMW........... He did it in our warehouse (it was mining down outside)........ one of them, a rear pillar scratch, in sunlight, it didn't look 100%, so he came back and re did it......... Made a superb job.

He told me they only repair on curved surfaces.......... That way the distortion of the light on the surface helps the colours to blend in better.........

I would reccomend him to anyone.

Cheeers to All
Peter

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti.
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichGTV View Post
I need to find out if they are any good in south west london
I knew the south london chap, never seen his work though. will see if hes still on the board for my local RC track

Last edited by NineOneSix; 21-12-08 at 10:12.
Unregistered

County: Wiltshire

I used to work with the guy that holds the franchise up here, his quality of finish is top notch, but I'd never let him work on ANYTHING under the bonnet (or an aircraft again).
Oggy_GTA

All I can say guys is either the franchise around here is particularly poor, or your guys are top notch. I'll not use them again for anything other than a temporary job.

County: West Midlands

Member car:

A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy_GTA View Post
All I can say guys is either the franchise around here is particularly poor, or your guys are top notch. I'll not use them again for anything other than a temporary job.
What area are you in then please as I have a repair booked in with our local guy this week and you have made me concerned!
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

I use a local chap from Redhill who goes under the name of Smart Again. Just had a scuff repaired on my bumper and it looks great. In the current light I can't tell there's been any repair. I've used the chap twice now and had good results both times and would have no hesitation in recommending him for anyone in the areas surrounding Redhill.
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.4 jtd

Ive used Chipsaway and recently Revive ( National company) and they were both spot on and quite reasonable too
Oggy_GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsonlyagame View Post
What area are you in then please as I have a repair booked in with our local guy this week and you have made me concerned!
Staffordshire. PM if you're still concerned.

Must say the alloy repairs were quite impressive considering the state of one wheel, let down by the final finish which is rough to the touch. Paintwork, especially stonechips, not so good, dare I say it, I have done better with a touch up kit!

Last edited by Oggy_GTA; 14-12-08 at 23:06.

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Yes, I used them a while back on my Red Alfa Romeo 145 Cloverleaf, and they done a brilliant job, especially as it had faded rather badly all over the place, BUT they are a franchise, so I think its a bit of a Lottery really. I would certainly recommend the one down here in Swansea though.....

County: West Midlands

Member car:

A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy_GTA View Post
Staffordshire. PM if you're still concerned.

Must say the alloy repairs were quite impressive considering the state of one wheel, let down by the final finish which is rough to the touch. Paintwork, especially stonechips, not so good, dare I say it, I have done better with a touch up kit!

OK thanks for that Oggy. Well I'm taking mine to a place in Telford to have 2 wheels and a "toe rag" scratch on the drivers door repaired. They're touching in a few chips on the bonnet but did explain that they wouldn't be invisible, so I know what I'm getting. The chips repairs are FOC anyway but I don't want a bonnet respray which is the only other option. I'll let you know what happens later in the week but they seem quite professional and are giving me a lift to and from work while it's done! We'll see!
Oggy_GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsonlyagame View Post
OK thanks for that Oggy. Well I'm taking mine to a place in Telford to have 2 wheels and a "toe rag" scratch on the drivers door repaired. They're touching in a few chips on the bonnet but did explain that they wouldn't be invisible, so I know what I'm getting. The chips repairs are FOC anyway but I don't want a bonnet respray which is the only other option. I'll let you know what happens later in the week but they seem quite professional and are giving me a lift to and from work while it's done! We'll see!
Yeah, I must admit I was perhaps expecting too much for the stone chips - it was an interim measure anyway, 'cos it'll be resprayed when I get round to it!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
chipsaway

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page