keeping dust and dirt off dark paintwork?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 12-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 V6

keeping dust and dirt off dark paintwork??

Hi all. I am slowly detailing my car bit by bit (doing it by hand so it is taking forever!!). Unfortunately I dont have a garage and with the car being black it looks filthy again a drive or two after spending hours cleaning it Im using a fairly basic coloured wax after polish at the mo but it dosent seem to really protect the finish from dust etc. Can anyone recommend a quality wax or sealant or something else that will make the nice finish last a bit longer?? Or maybe there is something available that will at least make the next wash a quicker and easier process?

Thanks!

Will get there eventually......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S4200044AO.jpg (157.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg S4200045AO.jpg (128.2 KB, 6 views)

2000 156 V6 in black, grey leather interior, carbon fibre console, black leather steering wheel, custom stainless cat-back exhaust, GTA headlight conversion, Alu undertray, 17" GTA Teledials, uprated and lowered shocks and springs, dent-free doors yipee!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Re: keeping dust and dirt off dark paintwork??

You say you are using "a coloured wax after polish". Can you be a bit more specific?

It sounds like you need to invest in a Quick Detailer such as Meguiars Ultimate QD or even the normal one. Applied after you have waxed, it repels water and makes it much easier to clean.

You can also apply it after every wash which gives a good shine and repels water and dirt.
In fact you can apply it every day if you are so inclined

Last edited by springbok; 13-06-08 at 07:55.
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 13-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 V6

I think it might be Turtle Wax Colour Magic or something like that? Seemed like a good idea bacuase I thought it would also help to cover minor scratches and stone chips in the paintwork. Dosent seem to make much difference on that front to be honest. Perhaps I should forget about the coloured wax and just go a better quality product?

I didnt realise you could apply a quick detailer after wax to repel dirt and water though - might be worth a try. I have some of the Meguiars product for use with clay.
AO Silver Member

County: Fife

Member car:

500 twinair

Yeah detailer sprays are fantastic things and have a lot of uses.
But really do help to get great results easily.
You can get some that have anti static / dust repeling properties too, which is what i could do with too just now.

The coloured polishes seem like a good idea, but actually change the colour of your car slightly by adding another very thin coloured layer on top of the clearcoat.....so yes best getting something a bit better from the likes of the commonly store stocked Meguiars or Autoglym ranges.
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 13-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 V6

Think I might go for some Chemical Guys XXX or Collinite 476 wax. I can apply the detailer on top of that if needed.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6mark View Post
Think I might go for some Chemical Guys XXX or Collinite 476 wax. I can apply the detailer on top of that if needed.
Both of these carnauba waxes are very good and offer the paint protection and durability that coloured "wax/polish" does not.
I always use a quik detailer when drying (apply it sparsely to wet surface) as it makes drying a breeze and reduces the chance of inducing swirls.

Likewise, I have a black car and find the layer of dust that seems to build on the surface shortly after washing pretty annoying... It's particularly dusty where I live, which is why I bought one of these:
Waxit - Premium Car Care Products
When the car is merely dusty, it works very well!!

I've also read about this, which seems to act as a water repellent? Haven't tried it as of yet, but might work well in preventing water spots post washing...

AO Silver Member

County: Fife

Member car:

500 twinair

Megs NXT 2.0 wax is a great all in one product and not that expensive, works great on dark colours giving a deep wet look shine, is easy to use, plus will help with swirls and the odd light scratch too.
The waxes you mentioned will maybe last slightly longer but wont help with any paint correction or be as easy to use.
If you use a good shampoo and detailer spray, thenthe look and protection of any wax will be prolonged though.
AO Platinum Member

Aye! I just use a towel to "dust" the surface.

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
dark , dirt , dust , keeping , paintwork

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page