orbital buffers! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 05-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Cornwall
orbital buffers!

Evening all..

just a quick one, I've been neglecting the car recently with work and using the works car for trips away, so she's in need of some love.

I want to start buffing the car to rectify swirls and some bizarre minute rippling in the paint's surface, and don't want to spend £200 on a Meguiars buffer for the few times I'll be able to use it!

Is there an affordable one on the market that won't truly mess up the finish I could go for?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Re: orbital buffers!

Despite having an orbital buffer that cost in the region of £150 for all the gear I always use my rotary polisher which cost about £30. I tend to use soft pads which makes it pretty safe.

The rippling you mention, if that's orange peel then you really need to use rubbing compound / wet and dry to flat the area, I wouldn't waste your time with an orbital buffer. Be careful if you're going to attempt to fix it.
AO Platinum Member

Shouldn't you get a man in...?

As the actress said to the bishop..?

Ralf S.
TSE
AO Member

County: Suffolk

Member car:

916 GTV

Hi Martijn,

I hope you are well.

If you looking to remove swirls then you could go with a Porter Cable (PC) which you might pick up cheaper than the Megs G220, although once you have bought pads and polishes it will be a good £180+.

Some Rotary polishers work out a lot less but be very careful as if you have never used one before you could easily cause big problems to your GTVs paintwork. Although some rotary polishers appear very cheap you have to make sure that they have a decent RPM range, as you need to be able to work the polishes at a reasonably low speed to refine the finish after you have carried out defect removal.

As Mr_Caine said, I think this is the orange peel effect that you are talking about. I would strongly advise against trying to rectify this yourself if you have never wet sanded and machine polished as you could very easily end up with some knackered paintwork. Even as a pro it is not always possible to remove the orange peel effect as so much depends on paint depth, condition, type and also whether the orange peel is infact in the clear coat or colour.

If you remind me where you are then I can let you know of someone who could correct the paint for you. I'm not saying that you need a detailer every time but I think on this occassion it would probably be a good idea.

If you do fancy doing it yourself then I suggest getting a few scrap panels and refining your technique first as you can then leave all your bad attempts on some scrappy panel rather than a stunning GTV!

Cheers,

Roy
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

I've had one of the 2 handed & 1 handed smaller jobbies. Pretty good really but not as good as getting a pro (like Roy) in
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

Alfa GT

The G220 is about £140 for the base unit, but when I bought mine I went for the advanced kit from Meguiars G220 Dual Action Polishing Machine - Meguiars Car Care and Detailing Products

Came with loads of pads, masking tape e.t.c...all stuff you would need.

I see it as an investment, as I can use it on all my cars and the results are fantastic (I use with a combination of Meguiars/ClearKote products).

Amazing at removing swirl marks from paint
AO Gold Member

I have a Porter Cable too and agree completely with TSE....

...though I just noticed he is a pro!
(Post Link) post #8 of 26 Old 06-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSE View Post
Hi Martijn,

I hope you are well.

If you looking to remove swirls then you could go with a Porter Cable (PC) which you might pick up cheaper than the Megs G220, although once you have bought pads and polishes it will be a good £180+.

Some Rotary polishers work out a lot less but be very careful as if you have never used one before you could easily cause big problems to your GTVs paintwork. Although some rotary polishers appear very cheap you have to make sure that they have a decent RPM range, as you need to be able to work the polishes at a reasonably low speed to refine the finish after you have carried out defect removal.

As Mr_Caine said, I think this is the orange peel effect that you are talking about. I would strongly advise against trying to rectify this yourself if you have never wet sanded and machine polished as you could very easily end up with some knackered paintwork. Even as a pro it is not always possible to remove the orange peel effect as so much depends on paint depth, condition, type and also whether the orange peel is infact in the clear coat or colour.

If you remind me where you are then I can let you know of someone who could correct the paint for you. I'm not saying that you need a detailer every time but I think on this occassion it would probably be a good idea.

If you do fancy doing it yourself then I suggest getting a few scrap panels and refining your technique first as you can then leave all your bad attempts on some scrappy panel rather than a stunning GTV!

Cheers,

Roy
cheers, roy, sensible advice as ever! I'm no expert, but my panels have all gone a bit "crinkly".. never looked like that before!

It was resprayed about 8 - 9 months ago..

might have a word with the bodyshop and see what they say, any grounds for getting them to rectify it?
AO Member

Can you get some photos up of the "crinkly" panels? - very interested to see.

I too have a Porter Cable 7424 RO. All up including transformer, pads and (menzerna) polishes was about AU$600. I was of the same mind as you however - couldn't justify the cost for the single session of removing the swirls in the paint. The thing is though, regardless of how carefully you wash your car, in any real context it's pretty much inevitable that some paint swirling will return (especially given the softness of AR paint). I give my car a full going over annually, but have also used it multiple times for RIDS that seem to appear from time to time. So worth the cost IMO.

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Sounds like the paint has reacted with whatever was on there before.
TSE
AO Member

County: Suffolk

Member car:

916 GTV

Hi Martijn,

Yep would be good to see photos of the panels, as this sounds a bit extreme for just orange peel.

Roy
(Post Link) post #12 of 26 Old 07-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

i'll try, it's pretty minute so not sure it'll come out! I'll just try a minute.
(Post Link) post #13 of 26 Old 07-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

here are the photos, bear in mind this is really fine, took the photos on super macro with the lens practically touching the paint!

The first two are different shots of the same panel, and the third gives a more "normal" view of the same bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg one.jpg (77.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg two.jpg (95.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg three.jpg (79.5 KB, 21 views)
AO Member

Never seen that kind of effect before.
(Post Link) post #15 of 26 Old 08-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

woo, I'm special! oh dear...
AO Member

Member car:

Transit Connect

The effect in the second picture is known as 'fanning'. It's a pattern caused by the incorrect air pressure from the spray gun. Looks as though theres overspray aswell.

Third picture looks okay.
(Post Link) post #17 of 26 Old 08-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_detail View Post
The effect in the second picture is known as 'fanning'. It's a pattern caused by the incorrect air pressure from the spray gun. Looks as though theres overspray aswell.

Third picture looks okay.
the car was resprayed 8 months ago, and i've got to be honest, this is only now really becoming noticeable- would you say it's worth going back the the bodyshop?

AO Member

Member car:

Transit Connect

You can try but I doubt they'll accept the car back after eight months.

Can you take picture 2 again from directly above instead of an angle and in good light, I just want to see if that is overspray.
(Post Link) post #19 of 26 Old 09-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

i can always try- there shouldn't be any overspray there, had the whole car done. Thanks for your help!
AO Member

Member car:

Transit Connect

You're welcome, let me know how you get on.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon

Member car:

159 1.9jtdm

Since someone mentioned cheap polishers i thought i would link this in Car Buffer Polisher Polishing Sander w/3 Sponge Pad Kit on eBay, also Cleaning, Waxing Valeting, Car Care, Car Accessories, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 09-Jun-08 12:37:00 BST) its probably not that great but it does have variable speed as TSE mentioned
(Post Link) post #22 of 26 Old 10-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

cheers rafe! I'm going out to get another photo for Auto_detail a minute,
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 1.9jtdm

Having seen your car though mate, I do think that you might be going a little far she is spanking as she is.........you can be too fussy you know
(Post Link) post #24 of 26 Old 10-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

lol! good point... you know what it's like though, easy to spot things when you know a car inside out! How's that sprint coming along?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 1.9jtdm

Zender kit is nearly done, had to rebuild it as it was broken and battered, still need to flat off and clear coat but its getting there
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-lovers-2.html

Just need to overhaul the brakes now and it should be all good. Might have sold the 146 as well.......someone made me an offer that was too good to pass on

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
buffers , orbital

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page