Brazilian wax !! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 31-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Brazilian wax !!

Not what you might think, but I had an auto detailer 'round the other day to machine the car and he suggested a Brazilian wax job (for the car), only £300. Anybody had any experience of such treatment, and is it worth the money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Re: Brazilian wax !!

I would personally suggest that spending £300 on car cleaning is not worth the money. I'd do it myself and be happy enough with the slightly less than professional finish, and the £300 in my pocket.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

There are some hairy arsed sports cars around.

That sounds very expensive though..
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

The BRazilian wax may be Zymol Royale, that has stuff from Brazil in it I think I read somewhere. The stuff is about £7000 a pot but you get unlimited refillls for life.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Moved to Detailing Lounge
AO Member

Member car:

146ti

That would probably be Brazilian Carnauba wax, its in lots of good wax's but if you were quoted £300 for just the wax coating on top of the machine work it will be Zymol Royal, its £7.5k per pot and a very exclusive wax, but its also a label and as such you will pay to be able to tell people your car has it on there. . . . . is it worth it? NO, its a wax and as such will add 10% at most to the finish, but then any other good wax will do that for 20 quid.

I'm not saying the guys who buy it, or have it applied are wrong, its a boutique product and can be considered a bargain by some but labels are labels.

Collinite 416 will beat the protection and outlast it for £15.00 and lose a little in its finish compared but. . . . .
(Post Link) post #7 of 15 Old 31-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

To be honest the chap said he would come down a bit "for cash", and yes it is that Carnauba wax, but also that it dries rock hard and really does protect the shiny paint finish. The reason why he said it was so expensive was that he put it on properly and not just with a re-fill wipe that they also do, apparently.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

£300 to polish the car to a very high level would be about right. £300 for wax on a concours car might be worth considering.

There has been a large number of threads about these very expensive waxes on Autopia over the years, the general consensus seems to be the waxes are good but a decent £20-50 will give almost the same level of shine but really it comes down to personal preferences.

In any case, the quality of the shine is really about the quality of the polishing stage
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

I Zymol waxed my last two cars (Ital wax, supposedly designed for italian paint). The results were very good but I didn't find it particularly long-lasting for something that takes easily a day to apply.
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Brera SV6

I bought some of the new Autoglym High Definition Wax today at Stanford Hall.
£35 didn't seem that bad, for 40% carnauba content.
The demo seemed quite impressive, so I'm gonna give it a go.
Apparently, once applied, it lasts for 12 months and you can apply any product on top of it, ie Meguiars, etc, with no damage to the HDW base coat.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Halfords wash & wax does me !!
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Brazilian wax nice bit of marketing spin....Carnuba wax mainly comes from brazil and is a major constituent of many car waxes and is widely used in all kinds of things not just car wax. It isn't special.

For me £300 for a wax is exessive but if you're cash rich time poor then maybe it's good value.
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

i spent £38 on a tub of Zymol's "carbon" wax, and its lasted me 3 years, still have it, and takes about 1/2 hour to apply. superb shine, but to the untrained eye, i doubt anyone could tell the difference between a £30 wax and a £300 wax. i have trouble telling the difference visually between that and a good wash and polish.

Hi you can buy 100% carnauba and bee's wax, (no additives) its called P21S and can be found on e-bay £20. I used it for 2yrs now on Mitsu Animal with awesome results will be using it on the GT soon as weather is right.
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

It all depends what he's going to do? Applying the carnauba wax to an un prepped car wont really work.

To get the benefit you must do the following, and it does take a long time.

1. Clean the car, obviously.
2. Use a cleansing product, such as HD Cleans to remove grime.
3. Use a clay product to remove imperfections and fill in scratches.
4. Apply the Carnauba wax.

Between cleansing and waxing you cant leave more than 24 hours, ideally it should be immediate, as the wax then bonds to the car paintwork.

5. Gently buff the wax while still wet, then allow it to harden for about 30mins before buffing again.
6. Spray the car with a fine mist of cold water to set the wax, and re-buff.

If you do all this the results are stunning, and the shine will last for a few months, with only light cleaning, but it will take a full day to do a car properly.

So if your £300 valet includes most of this, then thats why its expensive and it is worth while.

I use Zymol Ital wax, Zymol HD Cleans, Zymol Lehm Clay, and Zymol Clay lubricant. The Wax is about £360 a pot and I've had it for 4 years, its done my 3 Ferraris, my Lambo Gallardo and now my Alfa Spider over that time.

On my Gallardo, I did over 22,000 miles and the paintwork was better than the day I collected it when I sold it after 2 years.

Zymol really is brilliant stuff if you do it systematically, but applying the wax onto a car thats simply cleaned has no better effect than using a 'wash & go' product.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
brazilian , wax

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page