alfa red - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 19-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

alfa red

Hi Guys,

Just picked up an '02 147 (to replace my '03 one that someone kindly wrote off for me!)

Anyways, just popped my "claying" cherry, and must say very impressed.

However, I am now left with a silky smooth Alfa Red 147 with some pretty tired looking paint!

Now I am no expert (but I did clean cars in a dealership for a whole sumer when I was 16!) but I fancy my AutoGlym Super Resin Polish is not doing much for it - dont I need something with a bit more bite in it to blend the paint altogether?

Basically, you experts out there, tell me what to polish the car with! Although with the 25 quid I just spent on Clay stuff - i cant spend too much more on it!

(Oh yes I can - ive just fallen in love with a new bella!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

147 1.6

Re: alfa red

I would be interested what is best to use on Rosso Red too.

I have just used some of my old cut n' shine which was OK but would hate to think i am putting in al the effort and not getting the best look and protection.
AO Gold Member

Zaino Z2pro creates an excellent finish on rosso and is probably the most durable on the market.

You'll need to clay again though and have some ZFX or polycharger in the first couple of coats to make sure it bonds.

After 2 or 3 coats, you will notice a difference to AutoGlym.
Rosso145

If it's any help...............my car is Rosso too and I used clay bar last weekend for the first time and I was quite impressed.

After the clay I used Dodo Juce Lime Prime, then some Orange Crush afterwards. The wholE lot took nearly four hours but the finish was well worth it.

Dodo Juice is pricey though, but the Meguiars clay bar was about £11 I think.

I've never thought that much of Autoglym SRP to be honest.

AO Gold Member

Dodo Juice is great, although certain aggressive washes can strip it, so dont use a car wash (Swissvax, Zymol etc. are just the same)- wash by hand!
AO Member

Member car:

Transit Connect

To restore faded paintwork you'll need to use a medium/light polish preferably by machine.

I'd recommend 3M Fine Compound Polish (around £17.00) by machine or 3M Fast Cut by hand. Polishing by hand will require lots of elbow grease but the Fast Cut should make fairly light work of it.
AO Gold Member

You cant restore faded (modern) alfa red Mr Detail - as its got a clear coat!

If the lacquer is the problem, that will certainly do it, but not if the red underneath has went pink...
AO Silver Member

County: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj romeo View Post
You cant restore faded (modern) alfa red Mr Detail - as its got a clear coat!

If the lacquer is the problem, that will certainly do it, but not if the red underneath has went pink...
what he said
AO Member

Member car:

146ti

Its not usually the red thats faded, the clearcoat will have uv filters that protect the paint under it.
What causes the colour to appear faded is the clearcoat itself, over time it will oxidise to some extent and get a little milky looking, and the swirls from daily life also refract light in different directions making the colour look faded, if you remove the swirls and a couple of microns from the surface of the clear you will effectively restore the colour and finish, this will give the clear the clarity it needs to show the reds pigment, this is what Roy and myself do with machine polishing
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Not sure if this will help, but Zymol do a Rouge Wax, especially developed to restore 'flat red' paints, its no go on metallics, but great on ***** Red.

Costs about £58 but should be well work it if you taken the trouble to clay the car first.

Look at Vertar.com they have all the range.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Brera S

I'd go with autodetail on the 3M. Quality product at a good price and it does what it says on the tin (plastic bottle).
Graham P

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzo View Post
Its not usually the red thats faded, the clearcoat will have uv filters that protect the paint under it.
What causes the colour to appear faded is the clearcoat itself, over time it will oxidise to some extent and get a little milky looking, and the swirls from daily life also refract light in different directions making the colour look faded, if you remove the swirls and a couple of microns from the surface of the clear you will effectively restore the colour and finish, this will give the clear the clarity it needs to show the reds pigment, this is what Roy and myself do with machine polishing

Hi Dazzo

I have a red Alfa GT that I have noticed is a little bit duller in places. Would you recommend I take it to be machine polished instead of trying to do it myself then? I've found a place local who do it for £60

AO Member

Member car:

Transit Connect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham P View Post
Hi Dazzo

I have a red Alfa GT that I have noticed is a little bit duller in places. Would you recommend I take it to be machine polished instead of trying to do it myself then? I've found a place local who do it for £60
Are whole panels dull or is it just a few patches?
Lord Melch

TBH it's all down to the prep work.
A good LSP (Wax, Sealant) will make a difference but the the paint is properly polished that makes all the difference.

For Alfa Red, I use Sonus SFX2 and 3 for the polish and Jetseal and CG Pete's 53 or 5050 for the final LSP and she looks fabulous

See here :

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/...pic.php?t=2758

And recently:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/...pic.php?t=3976

AO Member

Member car:

146 Ti

For a hand polish your not going to get much better than SRP, it's about the best you can use by hand and is even better by machine.

Pop over to A world for detailers... and have a read of the hand polishing guides.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordjo View Post
For a hand polish your not going to get much better than SRP, it's about the best you can use by hand and is even better by machine.

Pop over to A world for detailers... and have a read of the hand polishing guides.
AG UDS works better on Red & dark colours

HD Wax really makes it look a million dollars

In between polishes, try Aquawax for equally excellent results
NFN
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 X reg

I'd take a look at Lords Alfa, his finish is the best i have ever seen on Alfa Red ! and as i say its not just the finish that day its the finish and durability long term !

he should show that car !
Lord Melch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFN View Post
I'd take a look at Lords Alfa, his finish is the best i have ever seen on Alfa Red ! and as i say its not just the finish that day its the finish and durability long term !

he should show that car !
Very kind words Sir, but easy to do.

Machine Polish - get an expert to do if you don't have a machine.
Then wash correctly - two bucket method, Snow Foam if you fancy, dry, and Seal/Wax every so often..

Great guide here :

CleanYourCar.co.uk - View topic - Basic Car Washing Guide

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
alfa , red

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page