18" turbine wheel sealant recommendation? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Alfahol Addict
  • 1 Post By Timhaze
  • 1 Post By LiamBates
  • 1 Post By Nellytheroc

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

18" turbine wheel sealant recommendation?

Hi

Can anybody on here recommend a good wheel sealant for the 18" diamond cut turbines? I'm mostly wondering as they have that satin anthracite finish, and I don't want them too shiny.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'm a big fan of Poorboys products, does anybody have experience with their wheel sealant?

Last edited by Alfahol Addict; 4 Weeks Ago at 16:30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Hi
I have been wondering the same (I have identical wheels on my Cloverleaf). I have used meguiars hot wheels and gone over them with a standard meguiars wash and wax before I do the rest of the car- (separate buckets and mitt of course!). Cleaning is real easy for following washes, and they retain the original finish well. I have read up on sealants and some like Autoglym state not to be used for dark wheels-so be careful. No real issues with brake dust etc-but maybe I need to drive faster😜. Btw, I've found I now park about 2 foot from any kerb with these wheels-everywhere. Let me know if you find a product.
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk
Garage
Iíve been wondering about what to use on my wheels too. A bit of reading up and the Poorboys product comes highly recommended. I did think about normal polish and wax. Apparently products specifically for wheels are made to cope with higher temperatures caused by braking etc. Iíve got multispokes on one of my Alfas that look great but are a pain to wash etc so anything that helps keep them clean will be a bonus.
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timhaze View Post
Hi
I have been wondering the same (I have identical wheels on my Cloverleaf). I have used meguiars hot wheels and gone over them with a standard meguiars wash and wax before I do the rest of the car- (separate buckets and mitt of course!). Cleaning is real easy for following washes, and they retain the original finish well. I have read up on sealants and some like Autoglym state not to be used for dark wheels-so be careful. No real issues with brake dust etc-but maybe I need to drive faster😜. Btw, I've found I now park about 2 foot from any kerb with these wheels-everywhere. Let me know if you find a product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellytheroc View Post
Iíve been wondering about what to use on my wheels too. A bit of reading up and the Poorboys product comes highly recommended. I did think about normal polish and wax. Apparently products specifically for wheels are made to cope with higher temperatures caused by braking etc. Iíve got multispokes on one of my Alfas that look great but are a pain to wash etc so anything that helps keep them clean will be a bonus.
Hi there, both of you

I e-mailed a Poorboys importer/webshop/professional detailer in Denmark.

He said that, the Poorboys wheel sealant is fine, if you're just very thorough when applying it, because the turbine wheels satin finish isn't as smooth as normal high gloss lacquered wheels.

When applying the wheel sealant give them a thin (very thin!) layer, and then make sure to buff it off properly, after it has dried.
Nellytheroc likes this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanks for the info and advice. Will check the products out. 👍
Alfahol Addict likes this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Garage
I used an Autoglym sealant a while back and it has been brilliant. Usually clean the car about once a month and I haven't had to use a wheel cleaner since - brake dust and grime comes straight off. Well worth doing.
cue2 likes this.
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 4 Days Ago
AO Silver Member

Garage
Iíve just done my wheels with Autoglym sealant... purely out of laziness; spray on AG or apply Poorboys by hand to multispokes. Iíve heard nothing but good things about AG. Will report back once I see how I get on.
Alfahol Addict likes this.
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 37 Minutes Ago
AO Silver Member

Garage
425 mile round trip to Beaulieu at the weekend... the AG wheel sealant was dead easy to apply, just spray on, leave to dry and wipe off any excess. The can says a good hour or two drying but I left it overnight. Two mins per wheel to buff off the excess and they looked good. And they still look good. Iím not sure if that is because I havenít done enough braking (had the current Mrs Nelly in the car so no spirited driving/gear changing when the engine red lined/last minute braking) or because the AG keeps the dirt off. Early days but Iím impressed so far.

2001 GTV Twin Spark - Aerokit, teledials, Ragazzon quads, MTEC discs, DS Performance pads
2000 Spider Twin Spark - 17Ē multispokes, colour matched mirrors, OEM luggage rack, Ultra Racing strut brace, Fox quads, Zender fuel flap cover

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
recommendation , sealant , turbine , wheel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page