Respray Confused - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By osney
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 07-03-19 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Surrey
Posts: 107

Member car:

156 GTA modded

Hmmm Respray Confused

Hi all.

My 2002 Miro Red 156 GTA is well overdue a respray- long story but it needs a bare metal job with small repairs to both front arches. I'd want the alloys refurbished too.

I've read through the various Respray threads and am a bit confused.

Some say I should expect a fantastic job for £3k (probably excluding the wheels), some say £7.5k- I appreciate threads go back some years and there are regional variations but £4k difference?? I'd be happy to ship my car out to the regions for the right garage/price.

I appreciate any advise/recommendations. Cheers!

Alfa Fugit
brisc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: confused
AO Member
 
osney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Fife
Posts: 485
Garage
Just about to get my Sportwagon resprayed - not bare metal, but new front wings fitted that I'm supplying, all dings and dents sorted and any rust they come across dealt with. They'll take the windscreen out, but no other glass. The quote is not far shy of £5k all in. Might have got it cheaper, but you generally speaking get what you pay for. South of England tends to be pricier than up here too, which you probably don't want to hear...
brisc likes this.
osney is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 13-03-19 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Surrey
Posts: 107

Member car:

156 GTA modded

Thanks Osney- maybe £7.5k for a bare metal respray down here is close to the mark then.
brisc is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
County: -Devon
Posts: 45

Member car:

159 ti

Why do you feel it needs to be a bare metal job? There are some reasons but normally on older cars with a lot of paint already on them. Be guided by the garage you use. If bare metal is the way you're going you have to realise the amount of extra work involved. If its a chemical strip (paint stripper) then all the parts of the car have to come off and its a really messy job and then all the stripper has to be washed away so that it doesn't cause future problems. If its going to be sanded to bare metal then that is time consuming and potentially distort the panels. My advise would be that the paint that is already there is offering some protection, obviously any signs of rust will want sanding away but as long as its not got some nasty paint on it leave well alone
philfromdevon is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 18-03-19 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Surrey
Posts: 107

Member car:

156 GTA modded

Quote:
Originally Posted by philfromdevon View Post
Why do you feel it needs to be a bare metal job? There are some reasons but normally on older cars with a lot of paint already on them. Be guided by the garage you use. If bare metal is the way you're going you have to realise the amount of extra work involved. If its a chemical strip (paint stripper) then all the parts of the car have to come off and its a really messy job and then all the stripper has to be washed away so that it doesn't cause future problems. If its going to be sanded to bare metal then that is time consuming and potentially distort the panels. My advise would be that the paint that is already there is offering some protection, obviously any signs of rust will want sanding away but as long as its not got some nasty paint on it leave well alone
Reason I'm thinking of bare metal is that the lacquer coat is peeling badly (due to a steering fluid pipe burst- don't ask!)- and the base colour is patchy.

I think I've got the job covered, car is going up to Ayrshire to a great body specialist up there for a much better price. I trust the guy's opinion (distant family), so he'll advise how far to go!

Thanks for the advise Phil!
brisc is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
County: -Devon
Posts: 45

Member car:

159 ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisc View Post
Reason I'm thinking of bare metal is that the lacquer coat is peeling badly (due to a steering fluid pipe burst- don't ask!)- and the base colour is patchy.

I think I've got the job covered, car is going up to Ayrshire to a great body specialist up there for a much better price. I trust the guy's opinion (distant family), so he'll advise how far to go!

Thanks for the advise Phil!
no worries, I'd expect labour rate of a good shop to be in region of £35p/h and look at 100-150hrs up to £1000 paint and materials
philfromdevon is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 18-03-19 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Surrey
Posts: 107

Member car:

156 GTA modded

Quote:
Originally Posted by philfromdevon View Post
no worries, I'd expect labour rate of a good shop to be in region of £35p/h and look at 100-150hrs up to £1000 paint and materials
brisc is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
confused , respray

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome