Polishing tools and tips? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 21-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Polishing tools and tips?

Hi guys,

Well, Iím 6months into being an Alfa owner, and against all reason and logic Iím loving it. In the short time Iíve had the cloverleaf itís needed a new radiator, had a windscreen washer failure and repair (by me), and a weird engine failure light which went off after a day and hasnít come back, so fingers crossed. Thereís a weird Ďfeatureí which ensures that the front and back wipers wonít work unless Iíve activated the one I donít want first, the alloys are so soft they show the slightest of knocks, but none of this matters because itís mine, and I love it.

Knowing that you all share these feelings about your own Giuliettas, I was hoping youíd share some bodywork tips. Mine is black, and therefore shows dirt pretty quickly. Iíve manually polished it but not waxed it yet. I have some good quality carnuba wax, some autoglym polish, and just bought some pads from eBay that fit onto a drill to make the job easier.

Iíd be very grateful to any bodywork experts here If they could share tips on how to protect the paintwork and keep the dirt off for longer periods than Iím used to. Should I buy a buffing machine, or will the drill attachments be ok? I so love this car I want it looking shiny and beautiful all the time 😆😆🤗

Thanks for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1857

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

First bit of advice is prepare yourself for 101 'experts' to give 1001 different answers.

Second bit of advice is set yourself a limit of how much you want or can afford to spend because you are about to go down a rabbit hole that could drain your bank account quickly.

Third bit of advice if you are going to use a machine dont use a drill, use a proper buffing machine and BE CAREFUL, its not as easy as the videos on you tube make out and you can do more damage than good very quickly.

Lastly have a read of this. It might help. Theres loads of good advice on all their guides. These guys are possibly the best in the business (although you'll hear that about most detailers to be fair), they teach the people who go on to be experts. They've even taught some of the major wax and polish companies how to use their own products correctly.

https://www.kdskeltec.co.uk/guides/paint-correction
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 21-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Thank you Silver, much appreciated 🤗
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
It does depend on what you’re trying to achieve and how much you want to spend.

I had a black 156 which, if I do say so myself, looked great when it was clean. Never used a machine polisher on it, just careful washing, AG super resin polish and aqua wax. Later I found T-cut colour magic, which to my eyes brought out the metallic very well. Sadly she’s now deceased; this pic is from 2013, when I’d owned it for four years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 413E304D-D2BE-4BEB-A5CF-A00B7B9816E0_1550856587681.jpg (100.4 KB, 16 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
polishing , tips , tools

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page