Alfa GT 3.2 Engine Bay - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 16-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Yorkshire, land of the Gods.
Alfa GT 3.2 Engine Bay

Hi All,

Tackling the engine bay on my 3.2 GT, I have a couple of questions if you would be so kind.
  • What best to do with the inlet and rocker cover, blasted and then spray painted? What is the done thing? Is it easier sending it off to be done properly? Do you paint the red writing on by brush?
  • The parts beneath both, other than getting into the guts of the engine, is it possible to paint while still on the car or would that look stupid? (yellow markers on the photo)
  • Were the fuel rails gold when they were original, or is that what everyone is doing because it looks good?

Cheers all!

Demps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alfa Bay 1 - Copy.jpg (134.3 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

sye
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedempsey View Post
Hi All,

Tackling the engine bay on my 3.2 GT, I have a couple of questions if you would be so kind.
  • What best to do with the inlet and rocker cover, blasted and then spray painted? What is the done thing? Is it easier sending it off to be done properly? Do you paint the red writing on by brush?
  • The parts beneath both, other than getting into the guts of the engine, is it possible to paint while still on the car or would that look stupid? (yellow markers on the photo)
  • Were the fuel rails gold when they were original, or is that what everyone is doing because it looks good?

Cheers all!

Demps
Hi,

My thoughts:
Most popular seems to be be powder coating, but I don't see any reason why they couldn't be painted with the right product. Once they've been coloured, the funs and lettering can either be ground off (to leave silver) or hand painted.
If I understand correctly, the parts in your picture are the cam covers and, in my opinion, would be very very difficult to paint effectively in situ. The plenum and coil cover are easier to remove and therefore easier to refinish properly.
The OE finish on the fuel rails is a coloured zinc passivate. The ones you see that are gold are almost certainly painted.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 18-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Yorkshire, land of the Gods.
Thanks sye, that's helpful, I went and got a quote for powder coating and it's not nearly as bad as I was expecting. So bonus. Not sure what to do with the fuel rails, I'm guessing going oe means the same level of degredation, they're just pure rust now!

I'll post up some pics when the engine bay is done.

Cheers!!
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: UK also in 159 2.4TI Sportswagon
Garage

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Engine bay

Hi from when I done mine it coincided with cam belt change. Engine bay was not too bad however I wanted to do a bit more with it.

I was lucky in that I managed to get s spare set of fuel rails for about £75 from the forum that with lots of elbow grease and Armasol metal polish got to a really good finis as shown in photos. I then put a small amount of high temp clear lacquer over to protect. Thus I was able to do this over a few evenings indoors. You will see the replacement fuel rails looked worse than my one on the car prior to me polishing them.

Again with cam covers , I bought a spare set for £60 from eBay and cleaned up with a wire wool then painted with Alfa Red brake caliper paint really good stuff from BCS, as felt this would remain heat resistant and look great when top coil covers and Plenum done. One lot of paint done my GTV calipers, the Cam Covers, my I47 calipers and still have a bit left. I think was about £29. Really nice stuff as it sort of self levels to a nice gloss finish. And is extremely tough and hard wearing.

Picture of my original cam covers which were on the car. The rear cover looks original, however front one was from a CF3 so not original to my car as had a plastic blank on front cover cam cover for breather that mine does not have. I would suspect that someone previously painted this in the grey colour when they done the front coil cover.

Anyhow this is what they look like as removed from car, happy to sell these on now if could assist you. If of use make an offer as just sitting on shelf.

I found it nice being able to do my prep whilst awaiting to do other bits. If changing cam covers you will need to change seals not expensive. Partsworld or similar.

Final pictures show my painted cam covers going back and then at engine bay and how it looks today. This is 14 months later only other thing I did was replace all bolts to stainless steel. Again you can get a pack which covers everything on engine for about £40 from memory one of the forum members has a link.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F776009C-F3E9-4BCE-9427-8814BCC4C1C1.jpg (298.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpeg 43BBC156-147D-4F3C-A23E-C13DC7B5EF2E.jpeg (47.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 4623C296-F1B4-4EB4-93F3-7DC6D0E9F4EC.jpg (265.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 5260CE86-F812-4582-A328-1D0FC94F9F7D.jpg (237.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 61129D2D-899E-4FC0-A1B0-FFB73BFEA3ED.jpg (313.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 67B872FD-C1C9-4BD5-ADD0-A0FB5ECA4385.jpg (310.6 KB, 18 views)

1999 3.0 V6 - Q2 LSD - KW V2 coil overs - Alfaholics ARBs front & rear- Fully Polybushed. GTA clutch & Flywheel-330mm Ft. Brembo’s with Performance Friction pads - Alfaholics stainless downpipes & Sports Cat. Ragazzon stainless Cat back to unsilenced quad DTMs. Piper cross foam filter and alfaholics short shifter, Bluestyle interior full genuine Alfa electric and heated seats, Alfa 17″ enzo style wheels. Jim Kartalamakis Performance reprofiled 10.0 Cams, bespoke Remap :

Last edited by Philcrazy; 18-02-19 at 23:30.
AO Silver Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

If you want cam covers cleaned vapour balsting is better than sand blasting as the sand can enter the engine if the covers arent spotless clean afterwards.

powder coating painting or hydrographics can all be used for finish

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
alfa , bay , engine

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page