I bought my Giulia Quadrifoglio a couple of months ago. It had 20,000 mile on the clock and was an ex press car driven on track. So in short it has been well and truly driven. The car was in surprisingly good condition when I collected, paintwork and all, nevertheless there was room for improvement.
After inspection of the paint a few defects were immediately obvious… notably some factory installed buffer holograms and tails:
I won't go into detail of the washing stage, (wheels, snowfoam, 2 buckets, grit guards blah blah blah). My focus was on decontaminating the paint, polishing, the little details that often get overlooked and crucially protecting the car, making future maintenance washes easier.
Unsuprisingly the wheel arches were riddled with tar spots. As a matter of fact, there wasn’t a panel on the car that didn’t have spots on it, including the roof! Using Auto Glym Glue & Tar remove, I attached a spray head to the bottle and liberally applied to the whole car. This a great product to strip any pre-existing fillers, waxes and coatings to make polishing later more effective and to exposure the true condition of the paint. Here you can see the product dissolving some of the tar spots on the wheel arches:
This was followed by a another wash and rinse to remove the tar remover. (Rinse courtesy of my 3 year old son…)
Next step was to remove iron and fallout. For this is I used Auto Finesse Iron out. There wasn’t any significant reaction to this product suggesting the car was pretty free from Iron contaminates. I suspect this was result of the Carbon Ceramic brakes producing very little dust in comparison with steel brakes. No picture worth sharing for this stage.
The car was clayed using the Meguiars Clay Bar Kit. This was the clay bar after I did one of the door panels…
Still a lot of tar remaining. In hindsight I should have perhaps inspected the paint again after the tar removal stage and repeated. I suspect a lot the tar spots were old and properly caked on.
Confident the paint was now completely free from contaminants I proceeded to taping up edges and trims to machine polishing the car with a DAS6 Pro Polisher.
Starting off with the least aggressive polish/pad combo, I was making very little progress removing the paint defects. I progressively upped the cutting power until I found an effective polish/pad combo. I settled for a two phase polish, starting with a medium cut polish on a polishing pad and finishing polish again on a polish pad. I did initially use the finishing polish on a finishing pad (as pictured below) but that didn’t give me enough bite so ended up using the polishing pad for both. This Competitzione Red is very hard paint in case you were wondering.
Overall I think I achieved a 90% defect removal. Defects are now only visible under very close inspection and under high intensity light (see image below).
The paint was simply too hard to chase every single blemish, and decided these would be eliminated with fillers and wax. Overall I was very satisfied with the finish, that is now probably better than when it left the factory!
After the car was (painstakingly) polished, I went over the car using Auto Finesse Rejuvenate. This is a pre-wax cleanser and is one of my favorite products. It contains very fine abrasives to further refine the paint, glazing oils to fill any remaining defects and cleansers to remove any leftover polish residue, ensuring the perfect surface for a wax to adhere to. I worked the product in by hand using an Microfibre applicator and buffed off to a shine.