Detailing a Giulia Quadrifoglio - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 8Likes
  • 8 Post By GazGJ

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 03-09-18 Thread Starter
AO Detailing Car Of The Year Winner 2015

County: West Midlands
Detailing a Giulia Quadrifoglio

I bought my Giulia Quadrifoglio a couple of months ago. It had 20,000 mile on the clock and was an ex press car driven on track. So in short it has been well and truly driven. The car was in surprisingly good condition when I collected, paintwork and all, nevertheless there was room for improvement.

Inspection
After inspection of the paint a few defects were immediately obvious… notably some factory installed buffer holograms and tails:

I won't go into detail of the washing stage, (wheels, snowfoam, 2 buckets, grit guards blah blah blah). My focus was on decontaminating the paint, polishing, the little details that often get overlooked and crucially protecting the car, making future maintenance washes easier.

Decontamination
Unsuprisingly the wheel arches were riddled with tar spots. As a matter of fact, there wasn’t a panel on the car that didn’t have spots on it, including the roof! Using Auto Glym Glue & Tar remove, I attached a spray head to the bottle and liberally applied to the whole car. This a great product to strip any pre-existing fillers, waxes and coatings to make polishing later more effective and to exposure the true condition of the paint. Here you can see the product dissolving some of the tar spots on the wheel arches:

This was followed by a another wash and rinse to remove the tar remover. (Rinse courtesy of my 3 year old son…)

Next step was to remove iron and fallout. For this is I used Auto Finesse Iron out. There wasn’t any significant reaction to this product suggesting the car was pretty free from Iron contaminates. I suspect this was result of the Carbon Ceramic brakes producing very little dust in comparison with steel brakes. No picture worth sharing for this stage.

Claying
The car was clayed using the Meguiars Clay Bar Kit. This was the clay bar after I did one of the door panels…

Still a lot of tar remaining. In hindsight I should have perhaps inspected the paint again after the tar removal stage and repeated. I suspect a lot the tar spots were old and properly caked on.

Polishing
Confident the paint was now completely free from contaminants I proceeded to taping up edges and trims to machine polishing the car with a DAS6 Pro Polisher.

Starting off with the least aggressive polish/pad combo, I was making very little progress removing the paint defects. I progressively upped the cutting power until I found an effective polish/pad combo. I settled for a two phase polish, starting with a medium cut polish on a polishing pad and finishing polish again on a polish pad. I did initially use the finishing polish on a finishing pad (as pictured below) but that didn’t give me enough bite so ended up using the polishing pad for both. This Competitzione Red is very hard paint in case you were wondering.

Overall I think I achieved a 90% defect removal. Defects are now only visible under very close inspection and under high intensity light (see image below).

The paint was simply too hard to chase every single blemish, and decided these would be eliminated with fillers and wax. Overall I was very satisfied with the finish, that is now probably better than when it left the factory!

After the car was (painstakingly) polished, I went over the car using Auto Finesse Rejuvenate. This is a pre-wax cleanser and is one of my favorite products. It contains very fine abrasives to further refine the paint, glazing oils to fill any remaining defects and cleansers to remove any leftover polish residue, ensuring the perfect surface for a wax to adhere to. I worked the product in by hand using an Microfibre applicator and buffed off to a shine.

Last edited by GazGJ; 03-09-18 at 17:03.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 10 Old 03-09-18 Thread Starter

Waxing
Time to wax! I opted for Auto Finesse Spirit Wax, designed specifically to enhance flake pop on metallic and pearlescent finishes. This was worked in small overlapping circles two panels at a time, allowing (as per the instructions) 3 minutes to cure before buffing.

Wheels
Due to the alloy design and and Carbon Brakes, these wheels really are a joy to clean. The wheels and calipers were finished off using Auto Finesse Mint Rims. Result:

Exhaust Tips
When I first collected the car the tips were appalling. In fact I gave them a good clean before this write-up so the before and after shots arenít that striking.

I started off using Auto Finesse Imperial Wheel Cleaner, with a grade 0000 wire wool, followed by Meguiars metal polish (again using grade 0000 wire wool) and finished with the metal polish but this time using an old microfibre cloth

Before (left pipe) and After (right pipe)

Steering Wheel
I did a recent write on how I cleaned my Mito Steering Wheel here: https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-...l-mito-qv.html (Guide to Cleaning a dirty Steering Wheel (Mito QV))

Same method applied. You can see the before (top) and after (bottom) here:

End Result

(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 03-09-18 Thread Starter

#AlfaParking

Last edited by GazGJ; 03-09-18 at 17:38.

County: Cork
Garage
Excellent job, well worth the effort
AO Member

County: -
Looks fantastic. Looks like a very professional finish. I bought my car when it was 3 months old and it needed two days of corrective polishing to get rid of all the paint defects and damage caused by poor washing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

County: Sweden
Garage

Member car:

GT 3.2 Lusso

Really nice work man!
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 13-09-18 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Excellent job, well worth the effort
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye73 View Post
Looks fantastic. Looks like a very professional finish. I bought my car when it was 3 months old and it needed two days of corrective polishing to get rid of all the paint defects and damage caused by poor washing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blajeans View Post
Really nice work man!
Thanks guys!
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Top job Gaz; Im very impressed. Im new to detailing so will follow your example. And thanks for the cleaning procedure on the exhaust tips. Didnt realise they were stainless. Going to invest in some fine grade wire wool and give them a shot.......
PS....just ordered my Exhaust Flap Remote from AHM. Cant wait to hear the full exhaust note in all modes. Bingo :-)
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Nice to read that again Gaz, especially having just taken delivery of a new Stelvio in dark blue metallic. I started a bit of polishing last week using Magma for iron removal and then the Swissvax preparation cleaner. This was followed by the Swissvax with Teflon, just the bonnet and wings so far as I think the temperature is a bit low for full effect.

I haven't had a metallic for a while and your pics remind me how different it is from solid. Yours looks great. I'd be interested to know if Alfa UK sent their car to a detailer before you got it?
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Giulia looks terrific Gaz ..

Question: you mention you use a DAS6 pro polished but google throws up a lot of different ones .. so which would you recommend?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
detailing , giulia , quadrifoglio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page