First attempt at detailing... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By Nellytheroc
  • 1 Post By Nellytheroc
  • 1 Post By Karl_Shad86
  • 1 Post By Nellytheroc
  • 2 Post By Nellytheroc
  • 1 Post By Nellytheroc
  • 1 Post By Nellytheroc

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 30-08-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk
Garage
Thumbs Up First attempt at detailing...

After reading a few threads on the subject and doing a bit of research online etc I decided to have a go at detailing my 2001 GTV...

Started by covering in snow foam and cleaned the wheels while it did itís thing
Rinsed off the snow foam and washed using 2 buckets & grit guards
Clayed with a Dodo Juice bar and Born Slippy lube
Rinsed off clay lube and dried with a micro fibre cloth
Tried using G3 Professional Scratch Remover but it didnít seem to do much except make large quantities of white residue
Used Meguiars Ultimate Compound all over. Not quite the transformation I was expecting looking at the illustration on the bottle but still ok even though a few swirls etc remained
Polished with Auto Glym Super Resin Polish
Waxed with Dodo Juice Blue Velvet wax
Cleaned windows inside and out with Mr Muscle and used RainX on the outside and RainX anti mist on the inside
Auto Glym Instant Tyre Dressing applied

A couple of questions for the more experienced detailers out there...
1. Anything I have missed out that youíd recommend?
2. I still had swirls remaining despite trying two products from reputable companies. Am I expecting too much? Doing something wrong? Or can you suggest a better products?
3. Can I use normal polish and wax on my wheels?

Thanks in advance.

2001 GTV Twin Spark - Aerokit, teledials, Ragazzon quads, MTEC discs, DS Performance pads
2000 Spider Twin Spark - 17Ē multispokes, colour matched mirrors, OEM luggage rack, Ultra Racing strut brace, Fox quads, Zender fuel flap cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Cornwall
Did you machine polish or hand polish?
(Post Link) post #3 of 21 Old 30-08-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Shad86 View Post
Did you machine polish or hand polish?
All done by hand.
Karl_Shad86 likes this.
AO Member

You'd more than likely see better results with the paint swirls with a machine polisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellytheroc View Post
All done by hand.
(Post Link) post #5 of 21 Old 30-08-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
You'd more than likely see better results with the paint swirls with a machine polisher
Can you recommend one and are they easy to use?
AO Member

Quote:
Can you recommend one and are they easy to use?
I've got this one:
https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/das-6...ction-polisher

Did my first detail this year, similar to yours although I used Meguiars 205 for removing paint swirls and then a ceramic coat.

The machine polisher was fairly easy to use, just take it slow to begin with. I watched a tone of videos online to get me clued up on it.

End result on my 159 attached. There were still a few paint swirls that would probably go with a heavier cutting polish but as it was my first time thought I'd start small.

You're not a true petrolhead until you have owned at least one Alfa - Jezza

My Fuelly
(Post Link) post #7 of 21 Old 31-08-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Many thanks for all the advice.
Karl_Shad86 likes this.
AO Detailing Car Of The Year Winner 2015

County: West Midlands
Quote:
After reading a few threads on the subject and doing a bit of research online etc I decided to have a go at detailing my 2001 GTV...

Started by covering in snow foam and cleaned the wheels while it did itís thing
Rinsed off the snow foam and washed using 2 buckets & grit guards
Clayed with a Dodo Juice bar and Born Slippy lube
Rinsed off clay lube and dried with a micro fibre cloth
Tried using G3 Professional Scratch Remover but it didnít seem to do much except make large quantities of white residue
Used Meguiars Ultimate Compound all over. Not quite the transformation I was expecting looking at the illustration on the bottle but still ok even though a few swirls etc remained
Polished with Auto Glym Super Resin Polish
Waxed with Dodo Juice Blue Velvet wax
Cleaned windows inside and out with Mr Muscle and used RainX on the outside and RainX anti mist on the inside
Auto Glym Instant Tyre Dressing applied

A couple of questions for the more experienced detailers out there...
1. Anything I have missed out that youíd recommend?
2. I still had swirls remaining despite trying two products from reputable companies. Am I expecting too much? Doing something wrong? Or can you suggest a better products?
3. Can I use normal polish and wax on my wheels?

Thanks in advance.
In the absence of a machine polisher, you might have more joy using a glaze.

A glaze will temporarily "fill" the swirls. A glaze must be followed by a good quality wax to seal it in and should last a few months. If you don't seal the glaze, rain will simply wash it away and the swirls will reappear.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazGJ View Post
In the absence of a machine polisher, you might have more joy using a glaze.

A glaze will temporarily "fill" the swirls. A glaze must be followed by a good quality wax to seal it in and should last a few months. If you don't seal the glaze, rain will simply wash it away and the swirls will reappear.
Poor boys black hole was good for my black 159 before I detailed
GazGJ likes this.
(Post Link) post #10 of 21 Old 03-09-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Thanks again for the advice. I think part of my problem could be the way I have used the products especially the Meguiars Ultimate. A quick look on their website at the video and I think I probably need to employ a bit more elbow grease. They say to work on a small area at a time and it seems that I need to work on a much smaller area than I have been and for much longer. Still, it was my first attempt and the car hasnít looked that good for years.
Karl_Shad86 likes this.
(Post Link) post #11 of 21 Old 09-09-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
I had a bit of an experiment this weekend. I just washed one of the rear wings then clayed it again and tried the G3 scratch remover and the Meguiars ultimate again. I spent much longer applying each one working on a small area at a time, maybe 6 by 12 inches max compared to a door or similar last time. After a good few applications of the G3 and then the Meguiars I started seeing some decent results. Bearing in mind the car has never been detailed before there is quite a bit to do. It took me a couple of hours to do maybe 2-3 square feet so I think a DA polisher is going to be the way forward.
Karl_Shad86 and fabiocity like this.
(Post Link) post #12 of 21 Old 07-10-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Update: Iíve got myself a DA polisher and had a little play on the same panel with the G3 and Meguiars and in about 5 mins got better results than I did in 2 or 3 hours doing it by hand so next weekend Iíll give the car another wash and clay and get to work with the polisher.

Any suggestions on what pads to use? I read somewhere that a cheap polisher with decent pads will give better results than a expensive polisher with cheap pads. Thanks.
AO Detailing Car Of The Year Winner 2015

County: West Midlands
Quote:
Update: Iíve got myself a DA polisher and had a little play on the same panel with the G3 and Meguiars and in about 5 mins got better results than I did in 2 or 3 hours doing it by hand so next weekend Iíll give the car another wash and clay and get to work with the polisher.

Any suggestions on what pads to use? I read somewhere that a cheap polisher with decent pads will give better results than a expensive polisher with cheap pads. Thanks.
Quality of machine/pads/polish make little difference in the finish achievable. Better quality products just helps you get that finish more quickly. Technique is the most important factor over everything else.
AO Member

County: -
Quote:

Normally the pads you buy will depend on the hardness of paint - which usually depends on the manufacturer, e.g. Honda's typically have soft paint. New to Alfa's so no idea what the best pads are to use, but I've had good results with Chemical Guys Hexlogic before on other cars.
(Post Link) post #15 of 21 Old 16-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Poor boys black hole was good for my black 159 before I detailed
With the weather over the last few months I have been reduced to giving the cars a quick wash (with 2 buckets) and a spray down underneath to remove any salt etc. Now we are heading into spring and hopefully some better weather, itís time for a more thorough clean and a polish/wax/glaze etc..

On Karlís advice I have bought some Poorboys Black Hole. Any advice on using it and where it fits in with or replaces other products. Iím assuming that once it is applied I need to wax over the top to protect it but do I need to use polish with it? If so which goes on first?

Also, having seen the vast improvements made to the black paintwork on my GTV, my silver Spider will soon be getting the same treatment. Any products that work well with silver paint?

And finally... what do people do with their wheels? At the end of the day they are just more painted metal so wash, Clay, polish and wax? I have seen wheel sealants etc; any good or just a con to get you to buy more products? Can I use normal polish and wax on my wheels?

Thanks in advance.
AO Member

Quote:
With the weather over the last few months I have been reduced to giving the cars a quick wash (with 2 buckets) and a spray down underneath to remove any salt etc. Now we are heading into spring and hopefully some better weather, itís time for a more thorough clean and a polish/wax/glaze etc..

On Karlís advice I have bought some Poorboys Black Hole. Any advice on using it and where it fits in with or replaces other products. Iím assuming that once it is applied I need to wax over the top to protect it but do I need to use polish with it? If so which goes on first?

Also, having seen the vast improvements made to the black paintwork on my GTV, my silver Spider will soon be getting the same treatment. Any products that work well with silver paint?

And finally... what do people do with their wheels? At the end of the day they are just more painted metal so wash, Clay, polish and wax? I have seen wheel sealants etc; any good or just a con to get you to buy more products? Can I use normal polish and wax on my wheels?

Thanks in advance.
So before I did a full detail, I'd snow foam, wash, dry, poorboys, then wax.

It basically will fill in swirl marks (temporarily), whilst giving a nice shine.

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Karl
(Post Link) post #17 of 21 Old 16-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
So before I did a full detail, I'd snow foam, wash, dry, poorboys, then wax.

It basically will fill in swirl marks (temporarily), whilst giving a nice shine.

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Karl
Karl... thanks again for the advice. I think if Iím ever in Cornwall I owe you a pint. Iíll give that a go when we get some dry weather.
Karl_Shad86 likes this.
Zoo
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Garage
A guide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31092048_10160382558305392_4913565435573567488_n.jpg (43.9 KB, 42 views)
(Post Link) post #19 of 21 Old 25-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Just given the GTV itís first decent wash of the year... I was a bit pressed for time so it was rinse, wash (2 buckets and a third for the wheels), dry, Poorboys Black Hole and wax. I must say, I am very impressed. Easy to apply and very good results. Thanks again for all the advice.

I gave the Spider itís first detail since Iíve owned it ready for Beaulieu the other week... snow foam, wash, Meguiers Ultimate, AG polish and wax, wheel sealant, tyre dressing etc and it looked incredible for a 20 year old car that cost me £750. It has stayed clean too despite a 400+ mile round trip to Beaulieu and a few hundred more miles on top of that making the most of the good weather.
Karl_Shad86 likes this.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
Can someone tell me whats the deal with this snow foam stuff
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Apparently ďsnow foam is not designed as a wash agent it a pre-wash agent. Snow foam is dedicated to the purpose of being on the car and softening dirt, car shampoo isn't. ... The theory of snow foam soap lies in its reaction with grease, grime, and dirt. A dirty car is covered in particles, some stuck tightly to the surface.Ē

Youíd probably be put in prison in Germany if you used it outside your house.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
attempt , detailing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page