Please I need help with buffing my car! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 07-07-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Garage

Member car:

GT Q2

Please I need help with buffing my car!

Hi.

So I've been trying to fix some bad paintwork on my car, I've sanded it, given it a layer of colour, and then a layer of clearcoat lacquer.

Then I leave it to try for a bit>

The clearcoat is still matte, rather than glossy, so I buff it with a wool pad. No difference, so I add a bit of rubbing compound...

And all the paint comes off.

I'm now in an apocalyptically bad mood because I don't have any more paint.

What the ****** am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

GTV V6 24V

Hey. Did you use a primer to help the paint adhere to the metal?

I roughly followed this video (but with spray cans!) and my number came out nicely.

Hope it helps! Good luck!
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

GTV V6 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teledials View Post
Hey. Did you use a primer to help the paint adhere to the metal?

I roughly followed this video (but with spray cans!) and my number came out nicely. https://youtu.be/Lw0ObOdWnRE

Hope it helps! Good luck!

I meant the bumper not number!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

I did some touch ups on my car with cans, from paint peel on bonnet and scrape on bumper. It's all in the prep before you put on the colour coat.

For the bumper I sanded back all around the area, back to the black plastic for most of it. Used a plastic primer which adheres to bumpers and the like. Mask off the surrounding panels, don't mask off halfway through a panel as you might get unsightly lines. Don't forget the wheels and tyres too they may be overspray range.

Filled scrape with a filler, sanded, filled, sanded, filled. Primed, primed more, used primer filler, more and more.

Sanded with fine 800 grit, sand more, prime more, sand more maybe 1200-1500 grit.
You end up sanding and painting a much bigger area than what the original scratch was.

Then once I had smooth and primed surface, cleaned with wax and grease remover I applied the colour coats as per can instructions for the colour matched paint.

Then I applied clearcoats as per can instructions. Clearcoat was orange peel finish.

So I waited 2 days, sanded it back with 1500/2000 wet paper, until the orange peel was gone, but not so much that you cut through the clearcoat.

I then got a a rotary polisher, wool mitt, with some meguiars ultimate compound and the fine scratches and dull finish left from the 2000 grit sandpaper came out nicely.

Outcome, was quite good I think being my first go at it. I only did it because it was going to be very expensive to get it professionally done, and the car isn't worth much anyway, and it looks better than what it was. But if you have a nice car with low km's etc then it may be more worthwhile to let the professionals do it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
buffing , car

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page