Been bought a machine polisher, what pads and polish do I need? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 05-07-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire
Been bought a machine polisher, what pads and polish do I need?

Hi guys, my wife/boys bought me a machine polisher for Father's Day from the kids lol the wife scuffed the v6 parking it in the drive! So rather than socks this year I actual got a good gift lol!

It's just a entry model from Argos and bought as it had good review. It's this one
Buy Challenge Dual-Action Car Polisher | Car cleaning | Argos

However it comes with no pads or polish, the paint work on my gtv is 21years old so I bought McGuires paint restorer and their wax and polish, the paintwork is fully of swirls and clear coat has lots of scratches.

So what pads would you guys recommend? Are any special products for black paint that's in really poor condition

Many thanks Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -Middlesex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonalfaspider View Post
Hi guys, my wife/boys bought me a machine polisher for Father's Day from the kids lol the wife scuffed the v6 parking it in the drive! So rather than socks this year I actual got a good gift lol!

It's just a entry model from Argos and bought as it had good review. It's this one
Buy Challenge Dual-Action Car Polisher | Car cleaning | Argos

However it comes with no pads or polish, the paint work on my gtv is 21years old so I bought McGuires paint restorer and their wax and polish, the paintwork is fully of swirls and clear coat has lots of scratches.

So what pads would you guys recommend? Are any special products for black paint that's in really poor condition

Many thanks Jon

Jon,

Before doing much, do you have a friend with a Paint Thickness Gauge - it is possible, especially for a novice to polish through the clear coat, although quite hard to do with a DA? So it is important to know how much thickness you have to play with.

Before attacking the paint, you should clean the car thoroughly, then use a clay bar or mitt to get any residual dirt off the panels. Only then will you really see what state your paint is in.

To answer your question: to tidy up the car's paint I swear by Koch Chemie's range including their pads as they are designed as a system (https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/koch-chemie.html). Slim's Detailing sell a starter kit - https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/koc...pound-kit.html. The Slim's site also explains what the pads do and at what stage to use them.

EDIT - the pads work with other polishes too. Otherwise Meguairs does their own as does Lake Country and Scholl. Any of these brands would be fine but you will need to check you are getting one suitable for harder compounding and a softer one for subsequent polishing.

Other good brands with systems include 3M and Scholl.

If you have never done any correction before, it might be worth popping down to the nearest scrappie and getting a panel - bonnet or boot - to practise on before you attack your car's paint.

HTH

Peter

Last edited by Fentum; 05-07-18 at 17:40.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 08-07-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire
Hi peter, thanks for that very much appreciated and great idea practising on a spare panel, I have a spare boot in my garage and defiantly will have a practise on this first.

I have just ordered the starter pack correction kit as it had another 10% 🙂👍plus great reviews

Any recommendations guys on what pads are best

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
bought , machine , pads , polish , polisher

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page