Stone chip repair - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 10-06-18 Thread Starter

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

159 3.2 Q4

Stone chip repair

I've had my 159 since November, and recently noticed that the bumper, bonnet and wheel arches are covered in stone chips. A couple appear to have gone down to the metal. The cars 12 years old with 80k miles on it, so it's expected really. Since its a cosmetic issue, I'd rather have someone who knows what they are doing have a go, so can anyone recommend anyone in the east midlands area? Or is it such a normal repair that any professional looking company should do a decent job?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Argyll and Bute
Do you have paint protection film on the front of the rear arches?

My first Brera didn't and it was in a state. The current one (11yrs/100k miles) did but they were also in a state and looked awful albeit they did their job.
I made a template from one before peeling them off. The paint above the films shows some chipping of the clearcoat but not as bad as lower down without the films.

You can buy them on ebay or make your own from film sold by amazone etc.

But the best move is to fit some front mudflaps. I recently obtained some from Rallyflapz on ebay. I fitted them so they stick out about 3cms, looking totally naff but working extremely well in keeping spray and gravel off the sills, lower doors and rear wheel arches.

If you do have your chips resprayed you must fit some or the results will not look good for long.

Brera 3.2 SV Q4
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 10-06-18 Thread Starter

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

159 3.2 Q4

I don't think so, but I don't know to be honest. How could I tell? Is this something you could apply to the front of the car?

The wheel arches aren't too bad, but there's like one big chip (5mm in length). It looks like it's down to the metal, and there's some indication of rust. If it comes to it, I wouldn't be opposed to fixing this myself (because you can't see it). There are a few nasties on the bonnet and bumper, that I would be more keen on being repaired tidily.

Thanks for the advice Oldie, I'll definitely have a look into paint protection once I figure out how I'm going to repair the damages.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
chip , repair , stone

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page