bonnet road rash - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Oldie
  • 1 Post By Oldie

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 08-06-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

bonnet road rash

my lovely new car is stunning, but the bonnet is peppered with small chips to the clear coat, and has some really serious swirls.

I've never done any serious detailing but would like to know if it's do-able, or whether I need to take it to a local detailers.

I'll get some pics uploaded in the morning, but in the meantime, can you folks advise what it would likely cost at a detailers?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Argyll and Bute
Mine is the same, the bumper too and I think something as large as the bonnet will require professional attention.

Recently, I have used a rattle can to spray the front and rear ends of both sills due to the blasting they get from the front tyres and it looks fine unless you look very closely. (naf looking front mudflaps have been fitted and seem to be doing the job but I am still replacing the stone protection film)

Unfortunately for me, there are no dedicated body shops nearby so I will either have to live with the chips or remove the bonnet, buy more rattle cans and hope I don't make a mess. Or I could buy a spray gun for my compressor which might be a better idea.

Brera 3.2 SV Q4
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 15-06-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

apologies for no photos (yet), I'm on a bit of a crap run of shifts and, although I had the opportunity yesterday, my mind was focused on the task in hand:

[Copied from the "What have you done...." thread]

Yesterday I had my first tentative foray into the detailing realm. The recent bright sunshine brought all the swirls to prominence, and the bonnet has quite a nasty road rash (which i knew about).
After watching several hours of youtube videos, I decided to take the plunge and bought a rotary polisher (yes, I know it's risky for a novice, but in for a penny and all that :P).
I also bought some meguires ultimate compound, which seems to be highly recommended.

2 hours later, I'd done the bonnet and n/s front panel; somehow without burning/removing any paint, and the vast majority of the swirls had gone and the road rash was reduced (still needs work) I then used AutoGlymm extra gloss and gave it a buff.

I've never been so proud of myself (shiny-wise) since polishing my dress boots for the Cavalry Parade in Hyde Park in 1991! It looked stunning.

--------------------

I did have an issue though, After the Ultimate Compound, I used the Ultimate Polish, which I found really difficult to remove, even though i only did a couple of passes, on a small area, each time.

Was I doing it wrong, or is it known to be like this?

Taaa
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 30-06-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

2 weeks later, The polish is meh,

I jet washed it at work before coming home this morning, but it's lacking...and the swirls are still there.

...I need help!

pics coming
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bonnet.jpg (47.6 KB, 11 views)
AO Silver Member

You may need to spend more time with the polisher or try a small area by hand using minimal pressure.

I've used the Ultimate Compound by hand and it does remove fine scratches in my clearcoat although I don't have any swirl marks (unlike my black GQV which was terrible for showing them)

I use Autoglym polish and then their watery polymer sealant which is highly hydrophobic and lasts for a few weeks.

The online videos are not good at showing up the true finish.
stan laurel likes this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 30-06-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

I think i've been a bit reticent with the polisher, especialy with it being rotary. But I'm very scared of burning the paint and I don't know what to expect with taking the residue off.

The Mcguirs ultimate compound initially seemed to get rid of the heavy stuff, but the polish was just a pain to remove

I'm doing something wrong.
AO Silver Member

Don't use their polish. Autoglym Super Resin Polish is the one I used after the Ultimate Compound.
stan laurel likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
bonnet , rash , road

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page