Red Giulietta QV - dust and what is the best wax/polish for the ultimate shine? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Karl_Shad86
  • 1 Post By Karl_Shad86
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 23-05-18 Thread Starter
Status: Back to two Alfas
AO Silver Member
 
Unkle Munkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: United Kingdom
County: -
Posts: 1,875
Red Giulietta QV - dust and what is the best wax/polish for the ultimate shine?

Hi all,

I currently use Mothers Carnuba Cleaner Wax which works well on the car. I've tried Autoglym Super Resin Polish but find it leaves streaks and temporary stains in the paint. Not ideal.

Whilst the Mothers stuff works nicely, I want the ultimate shine, regularly. So I need something that won't cost the earth but lasts. I see Autoglym do an Ultimate Shine product which I could use after the waxing if it doesn't leave streaks etc. I almost need something like a final glaze that you can use regularly. Something that is also anti-swirl.

Also, is there anything out there that is anti-static. It's a real pig keeping the car clean. Winter is difficult but I find it is a dust/pollen magnet in the summer. It'd be great if there was something that would mean all the dirt wouldn't stick so it would blow off when driving down the road - or am I dreaming!?

Happy to take some pointers as there are so many products out there. I love having a clean car. The Rosso paintwork is glorious when it shines!

Thanks in advance!

Rockin' all over the road in Alfas since 1998 including: 164 TS, 164 QV 24v, 166 3.0 Super, 159 JTDM, 75 TS Veloce, 156 1.8 TS Veloce and the Giulietta Cloverleaf.
Unkle Munkle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Selling my 159
AO Member
 
Karl_Shad86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cornwall
Posts: 509
For me it's Collinite 915 wax. Deep shine, long lasting and easy to apply / buff out. It's a bit pricey at £30+ a tin, however I'm only just on my second tin since owning an Alfa (5 years). Its also been used on my other halves red Clio and my dad's red Mazda 6.

It's an awesome product!
Karl_Shad86 is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 23-05-18 Thread Starter
Status: Back to two Alfas
AO Silver Member
 
Unkle Munkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: United Kingdom
County: -
Posts: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Shad86 View Post
For me it's Collinite 915 wax. Deep shine, long lasting and easy to apply / buff out. It's a bit pricey at £30+ a tin, however I'm only just on my second tin since owning an Alfa (5 years). Its also been used on my other halves red Clio and my dad's red Mazda 6.

It's an awesome product!
The reviews certainly look really good. Is it good for keeping/rectifying very minor swirl marks? Would be great if it stops the dust and pollen sticking too.

Don't mind paying a little extra if it lasts longer. I generally wax the car at least once a month, normally more. I find red paint really needs the attention to get a deep shine. I like the reviews that say, if you want a showroom finish, then this is the stuff!
Unkle Munkle is offline  
Status: Selling my 159
AO Member
 
Karl_Shad86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cornwall
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkle Munkle View Post
The reviews certainly look really good. Is it good for keeping/rectifying very minor swirl marks? Would be great if it stops the dust and pollen sticking too.

Don't mind paying a little extra if it lasts longer. I generally wax the car at least once a month, normally more. I find red paint really needs the attention to get a deep shine. I like the reviews that say, if you want a showroom finish, then this is the stuff!
As I use it on black I've used it with Poorboys Black hole which is a sort of filler for light paint swirls. Not sure how effective this would be on red paint.

The other option would be Megs 205 polish (which can be applied by hand, although you'd get better results if you had access to a machine polisher). I've recently used it (after clay barring) on my car and it removed almost all paint swirls.

With regards to dust etc the wax does help keep it on the surface and not stick too much. It's certainly easy to maintenance wash the car once applied.
Unkle Munkle likes this.

You're not a true petrolhead until you have owned at least one Alfa - Jezza

My Fuelly
Karl_Shad86 is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 23-05-18 Thread Starter
Status: Back to two Alfas
AO Silver Member
 
Unkle Munkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: United Kingdom
County: -
Posts: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Shad86 View Post
As I use it on black I've used it with Poorboys Black hole which is a sort of filler for light paint swirls. Not sure how effective this would be on red paint.

The other option would be Megs 205 polish (which can be applied by hand, although you'd get better results if you had access to a machine polisher). I've recently used it (after clay barring) on my car and it removed almost all paint swirls.

With regards to dust etc the wax does help keep it on the surface and not stick too much. It's certainly easy to maintenance wash the car once applied.
Yes, have used Meguiars stuff before and it's good. Wouldn't trust myself with a machine polisher though. Will leave that to the experts. I was thinking of getting to a pro valeter to correct the paint before using the Collinite stuff.

Don't get me wrong, the car looks fabulous. Everyone says it looks new. I just want to go the extra mile. I am very fussy!
Unkle Munkle is offline  
Status: Selling my 159
AO Member
 
Karl_Shad86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cornwall
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkle Munkle View Post
Yes, have used Meguiars stuff before and it's good. Wouldn't trust myself with a machine polisher though. Will leave that to the experts. I was thinking of getting to a pro valeter to correct the paint before using the Collinite stuff.

Don't get me wrong, the car looks fabulous. Everyone says it looks new. I just want to go the extra mile. I am very fussy!
I was like that with the machine polisher, took the leap and so glad I did. Will save a fortune in the future doing it myself.

It's all about going the extra mile, gotta have our Alfa's looking the business!!
Unkle Munkle likes this.
Karl_Shad86 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cumbria
Posts: 988

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Sounds like something went very wrong with the Autoglym SRP, it should not stain paint or streak. Whilst there is no end of nice waxes and sealants out there these only give a small amount of the gloss. Getting as many defects out of the paint will boost the gloss much more than any fancy wax. Getting a professional can be a really good but expensive idea. Do your research first, anyone can say they are a professional. Anyone can post lots of pictures of very glossy cars and claim the credit. Not trying to put you off getting a professional, just do your research before handing your car and money over to someone else.

Doing the polishing yourself can make sense to a lot of people. There are risks when using a polisher, paint can be damaged but the risks involved in driving a car are significantly greater.

It is also worth thinking about how close to perfection do you want to go. If your car is used every day and lives outside it is probably not worth spending many thousands of Pounds making the paintwork look perfect. If the car is a show car and has a very pampered life then it might be worth spending a lot of money
lowejackson is offline  
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 30,822
I use Swisswax. It's superb. You first clean the bodywork with the preparation stuff then apply the wax by hand and the heat of the hand helps in the application. The red looks really red too. The type I'm using contains PTFE or Teflon which means that the dirt runs off really well. Not cheap but really recommend it.
cue2 is online now  
Status: I got the virus!
AO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Norway
County: Buskerud
Posts: 96

Member car:

95 2.0TS GTV

If you use a quality wax then you should not need to reapply for atleast 4-6 months. I usually get about 8 months or so out of a swissvax shield application or something similiar.
The thing you will notice with a premium wax is the ease of application, and keep the applied amount of wax loooow. A little goes a long way.

As for the car being red, you are treating the clearcoat so if the same wax/sealant/coating works great on any other colour then there will be no difference when its red.
What usually happens is that when the clearcoat oxidizes the haze will make red look somewhat pink, same as black goes grey.



Edit: What could be the product for you is either autofinesse tripple or even better, Carpo Essence(Fills with SI02 not Silicone). Look them up
Lyngaas is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
dust , giulietta , red , shine , ultimate , wax or polish

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome