Toughest paint? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 07-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

'01 GTV 3.0V6

Toughest paint?

I have a 2001 GTV with 78k miles. The original paintwork has faired ok, but in 2003 I had a bodykit (Autodelta J10) fitted by a local paintshop. There have been some issues and last year I had to have the whole front resprayed professionally after a prang, but the sideskirts look terrible now. Especially at the front end they are a mess with stone-chips, so I want them resprayed but can anyone advice a type of treatment to ask for to ensure they are as tough as possible and won't chip badly within months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

Alfa GT

Re: Toughest paint?

I think there are varying qualities of laquer, some are harder wearing than others.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfetta GTV6

If you find out what is used on modern BMW/Mercs as their paint is supposed to be scratch resistant, it's not but it is very hard. I think this is the hardest available just now but you are looking at paying a lot of cash.
(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 09-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'01 GTV 3.0V6

Cheers guys. I have been making enquiries locally and a local well-respected paintshop are going to repaint my sills and lower apron, finishing off the job with Mercedes lacquer, which they say is the toughest in the business. For the actual wheel arches they are going to apply a clear tape too.
AO Member

Member car:

Transit Connect

The Merc paint would be ceramic, very tough, very expensive. Although I did'nt know that it's being used on their production cars just yet.
(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 12-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'01 GTV 3.0V6

I suspect that the ceramic paint is not what I am getting, but just the lacquer that Mercedes use with their paints. Hopefully it will be tougher than standard paint or the shoddy work I had done by another local paint shop 4 years ago. That wore very badly compared to the original Torino paintwork.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

So, ceramic particulates in Mercs paint then? Great!: Not so long ago, Beemers had a problem with some of their finishes suffering caustic burn through caused by bird lime, with a water based product, I seem to recall?

Is the Merc finish water based? Since the polyurethane, isocyanate, catalyst activated,pot-life, oven baked paints were no longer in general use, most seem to be far less durable today?
AO Member

Member car:

Transit Connect

Not sure how the ceramic paint system works, I've not actually seen it in the flesh yet, as far as I know the system is still in its infancy.

The old urethane and solvent paints were superb, tough and durable, and providing they were cared-for, last an absolute age, I still use them at customers requests.

Water-based paint and lacquer is considerably less toxic and more environmentally friendly, and in many cases, produces acceptable results, hence why it is used in nearly all auto paint finishes. As you mentioned though, it's soft and lacks durability and is susceptible to damage.
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 12-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'01 GTV 3.0V6

I wonder if I have been unfair to the paintshop then. My car was built and sprayed in the Pininfarina factory 2001 - would they have been using urethane and solvent based paints then?
And the additional work was carried out 2003 - would they have changed to water-based paint by then?
AO Member

Member car:

Transit Connect

A 2001 car would definately not be polyurethane, it was phased out in the early nineties.

Without seeing a picture I'd say that the bodyshop are not neccessarily at fault. The paint on plastic (or GRP) surfaces have a tendancy to dull, flake, or crack, but this can be for any number of reasons. A common cause is the use of poor quality plastics in the first place (i.e the bodykit) wheras the solvents evaporate and cause bleeding (loss or distortion of colour) in the paint.

Can you post a picture and I'll be able to give you a better idea of the cause and the remedy.

Kieran
(Post Link) post #11 of 12 Old 12-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'01 GTV 3.0V6

Thanks for your help and interest, but the bodykit is now in the paintshop so too late for a photo.
The full history is fairly complicated, but my car was produced in 2001 in Pininfarina's factory so was originally painted there. It was fitted with an Autodelta upper apron at the rear by the dealer - the material looks to me as a layman like fibre-glass as it has a very obvious weave on the inside, but is smooth on the outside. It is white when rubbed down and smells a bit of solvents. Is that GRP?
Anyway I later in 2003 fitted a Autodelta lower apron and side-skirts in the same material, and a Novitec front spoiler (different much lighter & thinner material with smoother internal surface which came pre-primed).
Last spring I bumped it and had a new front spoiler, this time from Autodelta and a repaint of the front end.

So, the Novitec front spoiler faired very very badly compared to the original front plastic, so even though both were exposed to front stone chips, the 2003 fitted and painted plastic was badly chipped and the 2001 original plastic was not too bad, even for front facing parts at the same level.
The 2001 Autodelta upper apron also survived better than the 2003 lower apron, even in the wheelarches, so both exposed to similar treatment.
And the best paint is the original paint on plastic and metal surfaces.

So, I think I have answered my own question - given that it was all painted with water-based paint the 2003 work was shoddy compared to the 2001 original and dealer work and the 2007 paintshop.
Hopefully this last work will be good.
AO Member

Member car:

Transit Connect

Okay, well good luck with it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
paint , toughest

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page