Paint restoration conundrum #1 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 23-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage

Member car:

166 3.0 & GT 2.0

Paint restoration conundrum #1

I bought a '96 Spider in Rosso 130 earlier this year. It has obviously had some paintwork done in its time - and some of the paint has gone flat, with an 'oxidised' look. In years gone by, I would have got to work with some T-Cut to remove the oxidised layer before polishing; but this makes no sense on cars with a lacquer top coat (as would presumably have been the case with the original paint).

So - does the fact that the paint has gone flat mean there is no lacquer top coat in my case? How can I tell (fyi there is no lacquer peel anywhere on the car)?

Looking forward to your best advice on how to proceed... cheers!

Had the pleasure of: 'Sud Green Cloverleaf | 75 TS | Spider 2.0 Ph 2 | 155 2.0 | 166 Super | 166 3.0 Sportronic | 156 2.5 Q-System | 166 3.0 Sportronic | 146 1.8 | Spider 2.0 Ph 1 | 145 QV | GT 2.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -Middlesex
If you are prepared to experiment a bit, you could try either the paint restoration kit from Autoglym or from Meguairs (both available from Halfords) - it would be helpful if you own, or can borrow, a polishing machine for this job.

Both kits will contain a cutting compound which will help restore lustre to old paintwork, even in the case of Rosso which tends to suffer from UV degradation in the base coat. Go on t'interweb (YouTube) to see what can be done.

Both kits from recollection around £50-60, but Halfords currently has a sale on AG kits so it might be cheaper. IIRC it is a BOGOF, so get the Clay Kit as well which helps decontaminate the surface and will stop you scratching the paint further when using compound and polish.

The other option is to ask a car detailer to do a paint correction. Given that you are also asking about lacquer peeling, this might be a good idea, as they might be able to tackle this for you, too. There is no reliable way of solving or stopping peeling short of a localised respray.

HTH

Peter
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 25-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage

Member car:

166 3.0 & GT 2.0

Just tried some Autoglym products - Paint Renovator on the areas the had gone flat (bootlid, primarily) plus Super Resin Polish over the whole car. Honestly - I'm stunned at what a difference it's made to the car - a total transformation.

That was definitely 3 hours well spent today...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
conundrum , paint , restoration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page