Cleaning plastic door cards ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By cannotstop
  • 2 Post By jwq

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 15-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Garage
Cleaning plastic door cards ?

Argh!

I hate these door cards. The "elephant hide" plastic surface holds all the grime in and wont let go, and even cleaning it seems to push the grime further into the tiny little holes that are between the top surface.

Does anyone have any trick to cleaning them ?
Any non-super-care-that-you-cannot-find-in-any-shop cleaning product that works ?
Hugh Myles likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Central Greece

Member car:

alfa 147-156

Can you post a photo to see exactly what you mean?
AO Member

County: -Middlesex
I use the fantastic Ambersil Amberclens Foam Cleaner every time - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ambersil-3...4AAOSwQt5Z323x . It is the industry standard for cleaning up most surfaces. Companies selling seconds and returns use it to render the goods new-looking. It is safe to use on almost every surface, and have even managed to remove suncream from dimpled plastic surfaces with it. I believe Halfords sell it but I buy the aerosols in twelve packs because I restore cars and use a lot of it - if it can effectively clean up the muck ingrained in the 1966 vintage Hardura of an E Type, it will cope readily with most modern plastics.

Apply foam and use a nail brush to agitate it into surface lightly. Wipe off with a damp cloth. Repeat if necessary. And Bob's your uncle.

Alternatively, the Aerospace 303 APC does a good job and the associated 303 Protectant helps keep the surface clean. It also helps keep rubber seals fresh. I use the Protectant after the Amberclens.

Koch Chemie (from Slim's Detailing) also has a full range of very effective cleaners and protectants.

HTH

Peter
(Post Link) post #4 of 20 Old 16-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnik61 View Post
Can you post a photo to see exactly what you mean?
Yes, it is this type of material:
https://preview.ibb.co/giOmgR/IMG_2075.jpg
It is on your door cards. The shiny black dimples are the surface you usually see, but the dirt has gone into the tiny holes of the lower part of the surface. And impossible to get out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentum View Post
I use the fantastic Ambersil Amberclens Foam Cleaner every time - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ambersil-3...4AAOSwQt5Z323x . It is the industry standard for cleaning up most surfaces. Companies selling seconds and returns use it to render the goods new-looking. It is safe to use on almost every surface, and have even managed to remove suncream from dimpled plastic surfaces with it. I believe Halfords sell it but I buy the aerosols in twelve packs because I restore cars and use a lot of it - if it can effectively clean up the muck ingrained in the 1966 vintage Hardura of an E Type, it will cope readily with most modern plastics.

Apply foam and use a nail brush to agitate it into surface lightly. Wipe off with a damp cloth. Repeat if necessary. And Bob's your uncle.

Alternatively, the Aerospace 303 APC does a good job and the associated 303 Protectant helps keep the surface clean. It also helps keep rubber seals fresh. I use the Protectant after the Amberclens.

Koch Chemie (from Slim's Detailing) also has a full range of very effective cleaners and protectants.

HTH

Peter
Thasnk Peter! I will get the Ambersil product. Can you use it on headliners and other non hard plastic surfaces ?
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
I'll second the Ambersill product! It's fantastic. Can undo the use of that terrible silicone stuff people put on dash and doortrim panels too.
Jimmyw59

I think I will give it a try

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannotstop View Post
Yes, it is this type of material:
https://preview.ibb.co/giOmgR/IMG_2075.jpg
It is on your door cards. The shiny black dimples are the surface you usually see, but the dirt has gone into the tiny holes of the lower part of the surface. And impossible to get out.

Thasnk Peter! I will get the Ambersil product. Can you use it on headliners and other non hard plastic surfaces ?
There is an Ambersil foam (Ambersil 30241 Amberclens Foam Cleaner FG in a 500 ml aerosol - about £7.50) designed specifically for fabrics. It is obtainable from Halfords and on eBay but I have used bog standard Ambersil on headlining to no ill effect.

Best

P
AO Member

County: Marlborough
Garage
Quote:
Argh!

I hate these door cards. The "elephant hide" plastic surface holds all the grime in and wont let go, and even cleaning it seems to push the grime further into the tiny little holes that are between the top surface.

Does anyone have any trick to cleaning them ?
Any non-super-care-that-you-cannot-find-in-any-shop cleaning product that works ?
ah the "Dandruff" finished door cards, they were awful even when new and it makes the whole car look cheap. I am thinking about painting mine
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
I liked that finish when introduced with the 147.
Passengers commented on its tactile feel.

A brush and lightly soapy water was all that was needed. The brush is key. Not too soft, not too hard.

But if the matte finish has been shined, then something harder is needed to go back to original.
AO Silver Member

County: Johannesburg
I use Meguiars Gold Class leather and vinyl cleaner with a microfibre cloth. Works like a charm on the seats, dashboard, door cards, steering wheel etc etc. Very good product...and no I don't work for them

(Post Link) post #11 of 20 Old 17-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkygodNZ View Post
ah the "Dandruff" finished door cards, they were awful even when new and it makes the whole car look cheap. I am thinking about painting mine
ewwww... I did not know what it was and had to google that, and image googled "dandruff".
Whatever you do, dont do what I just did.

Thanks Skygod, just before lunch!
(Post Link) post #12 of 20 Old 17-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Right so, I got a can of "Anbersil auto groom foaming upholstery cleaner" I know it is not the exact type that was mentioned above, but this is what my "local" halfords stores.
Unfortunately it does not seem to have done much of a trick on the dirt.
Its just as bad as it was before.

Is there a knack to using this ?
I stray it on, leave to foam a bit, then use a toothbrush to massage the foam into the cavities, but after I wipe it off with a damp cloth and let it dry, the stains are still there.
I am half tempted to use napalm as my next reagent.

2003 156 GTA Selespeed - Alfa Rosso + black multispokes, Eibach anti rollbars, Quaife ATB diff, 330mm brakes, Bilstein B12, De-cat wrapped manifolds + EQ downpipes + Ragazzon silencer, CDA intake, (carefully) removed interior & Sparco bucket seats + 6 point harness
2002/6 156 JTS Selespeed - Full Ti interior, late model camshafts, Supersprint manifolds, Ragazzon silencer
AO Member

County: Marlborough
Garage
Quote:
ewwww... I did not know what it was and had to google that, and image googled "dandruff".
Whatever you do, dont do what I just did.

Thanks Skygod, just before lunch!
I am here to serve
AO Member

Quote:
Right so, I got a can of "Anbersil auto groom foaming upholstery cleaner" I know it is not the exact type that was mentioned above, but this is what my "local" halfords stores.
Unfortunately it does not seem to have done much of a trick on the dirt.
Its just as bad as it was before.

Is there a knack to using this ?
I stray it on, leave to foam a bit, then use a toothbrush to massage the foam into the cavities, but after I wipe it off with a damp cloth and let it dry, the stains are still there.
I am half tempted to use napalm as my next reagent.
OK. I suspect the Groom foam is a little less aggressive as it is aimed at fabrics. Neither the Ambersil product I mentioned, nor an alternative - Ambersolv SB1 Citrus Based Cleaner - is very expensive. I'd actually try one of them.

In the meantime, sticking with what you do have: How many applications have gone on? If the dirt is deep, it might need a couple but I have always found it to work. How stiff is the toothbrush? Do you have an old scrubbing brush - the sort your parents would make you clean your fingernails with? Try that instead.

Failing any of that working, I wonder if you have an ingrained staining to the plastic. You might need to look into a Volico repair set - for around £50, you can sustainably repaint all the plastic (and leather) in the car to new. It is a German company but It sells through eBay here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016044238...84.m1436.l2649

Once the cards are clean, invest in a surface protectant such as Aerospace 303 and the cards should stay clean.
(Post Link) post #15 of 20 Old 22-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Well, I gave it another go, and it actually does work, abit slowly. Which is probably as the dirt is well and trully embedded in the plastic.

What I do, is I take the cards off the car, put them into the bathtub (shh.. dont tell anyone) and using a dishbrush and dishcleaner shrub the cards a couple of times to get the basic dirt off, let them dry.
I then put them on the kitchen table (shh, especially don't tell anyone that!) and use white spirits to clean the white paint and other stains off, then use ambersil spray on each point that needs doing. Spray on, brush it it harshy into the stain, wipe it off, let it dry. Once its dry, I go after the next large stain, then the next one, and so on until I am reasonably happy that the stains are gone.

I am doing alright now, I think.
When I get to removing dirt from the roofliner and the other parts, then we will see..
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Inspired by this thread, I got myself a can of amberclens. Having done the passenger door in the GTA I have to say the stuff verges on magic. Iíve got to do all the rest of the interior now as it looks so shabby in comparison.
sye
AO Member

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

Fentum / cue2

Please can you confirm exactly the Ambersil variant you use for the cleaning of hard, dimpled plastic door cards?
The ebay link (where the product is no longer available) was for Ambersil 30241 Amberclens, which looks to be 'NSF A1' according to Ambersil itself. However, there is also Amberklene FG which is described as a heavy duty cleaner and degreaser. Interestingly, both products are designed for use in the food industry - I could find nothing specifically for automotive applications.

Oh, there is this too: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Ambersil-30....c100011.m1850

Thanks

Last edited by sye; 17-03-18 at 16:54.
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Garage
AO Platinum Member

Ambersil Groom.
sye
AO Member

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Ambersil Groom.
I thought that was more of an upholstery cleaner?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
cards , cleaning , door , plastic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page