Wax or Sealant - which to use? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 26-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Wax or Sealant - which to use?

Hi guys,

I have been reading up on the differences between wax and sealants. Wax usually means natural products like Carnauba which give high gloss but only last 1 -3 months. Apparently sealants are actually synthetic waxes, which last 6-9 months, and are shinier (more reflective) but less glossy.

I read an article saying darker colours often benefit from wax, whereas lighter colours tend to look better under sealants. It then goes on to say that waxes can dull metallic colours - so for metallics you should use a sealant.

I have a Misano Blue Brera - so what should I do? It's a dark colour but it's metallic - so should I therefore go for a sealant and have the benefit of it lasting longer, which is tempting as my fiance gets jealous if I spend too much time on the car anyway!

I have Supagard on the car already, if that changes anything. I know you shouldn't polish Supagard as you eat the coating, but have read that you can wax/seal over it.

I saw Lord Melchs red Alfa with Pete's 53 wax on it - looks great, almost ordered it but mine is a metallic colour. The same people make this synthetic sealant, what do you reckon: Chemical Guys Wet Mirror Finish

Brat Pack no.8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Brera S

Re: Wax or Sealant - which to use?

Chemical guys gear is normally top notch stuff. I find preperation is the key.Clay the car first (there'll probably be no supaguard left on her by then) then a good quality paint shampoo/conditioner then you need to polish the car before the sealant/wax.
You could try asking Roy (TSE) in the detailing section.
AO Member

I usually use a sealant in winter cos it lasts longer, and then clay that off when spring comes, then use a wax as I like the finish better.

I used Natty's Blue for my car as it's blue, and it makes the blue look bluer!
(Post Link) post #4 of 27 Old 26-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Hmm, so does wax look good on metallics? Apparently it may dull the shine of the metallic flake?
AO Member

Acctually it depends on the wax used! I suggest asking at Detailing World (google it!) they should have the answer!
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Anti Static? Slippery finish? sounds like good old silicone has a hand in this?
(Post Link) post #7 of 27 Old 26-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Wax or sealant?

Hi guys,

Sorry, never noticed this section before!

I have been reading up on the differences between wax and sealants. Wax usually means natural products like Carnauba which give high gloss but only last 1 -3 months. Apparently sealants are actually synthetic waxes, which last 6-9 months, and are shinier (more reflective) but less glossy.

I read an article saying darker colours often benefit from wax, whereas lighter colours tend to look better under sealants. It then goes on to say that waxes can dull metallic colours - so for metallics you should use a sealant.

I have a Misano Blue Brera - so what should I do? It's a dark colour but it's metallic - so should I therefore go for a sealant and have the benefit of it lasting longer, which is tempting as my fiance gets jealous if I spend too much time on the car anyway!

I have Supagard on the car already, if that changes anything. I know you shouldn't polish Supagard as you eat the coating, but have read that you can wax/seal over it.

I saw Lord Melchs red Alfa with Pete's 53 wax on it - looks great, almost ordered it but mine is a metallic colour. The same people make this synthetic sealant, what do you reckon: Chemical Guys Wet Mirror Finish
TSE
AO Member

County: Suffolk

Member car:

916 GTV

Hi Commanderfish,

Thanks for posting up your question.

With regards to the wax vs sealant debate, the way that I find it is that a sealant on its own can give a slightly "clinical" look to the finish. Certainly I feel that on lighter colours such as silver that this can look really effective but sometimes it is nice to have the warmth of finish that a wax can bring.

It is certainly true that some waxes can mute the flake in metallic paint but that is not true of all waxes.

If you are worried about the durability then you could apply a sealant and use a wax on top of this. So you are getting the durability of the sealant with the warmth of finish that a wax gives you.

With regards to supaguard, if you wash your car regularly then you could well have washed it off anyway.

If you have any specific questions then feel free to contact me directly. I noticed that your in SW London, im near Croydon so I'm not too far away if you ever want any help.

Cheers,

Roy
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Hmnnn??:
Lord Melch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRN View Post
Chemical guys gear is normally top notch stuff. I find preperation is the key.Clay the car first (there'll probably be no supaguard left on her by then) then a good quality paint shampoo/conditioner then you need to polish the car before the sealant/wax.
You could try asking Roy (TSE) in the detailing section.
+1 for CG - just had a CG day myself..

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

I wouldn't worry too much about the difference between them, give the car a good wash, clay, polish and wax will make any car look great and I'm sure I could apply turtle wax original, say it was Zymol and you wouldn't be any the wiser.
Lord Melch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Caine View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the difference between them, give the car a good wash, clay, polish and wax will make any car look great and I'm sure I could apply turtle wax original, say it was Zymol and you wouldn't be any the wiser.
You may be right. You may be wrong.. So what's wrong with Turtle Wax ??

AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Nothing wrong with Turtle wax that's the point, but it gets scoffed at on the likes of detailing wax because you can buy a tub for a couple of quid and isn't this weeks fad. The more you spend the better, apparantly.
AO Member

There's nothing wrong with turtlewax at all.. works very well.
Lord Melch

Good enough for turtles..

But then again, maybe the turtles would look that much better with a newer wax, and smell better too

AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

What makes a newer wax better? What is your definition of a newer wax anyway? Who cares about the smell of a wax, once it's on you can't smell it, I quite like the smell of TW, better than some funny cherry scent that's been added to mask the chemical smell.
Lord Melch

Quote:
would look that much better with a newer wax
True enough... sorry talking gibberish..

In some cases newer products are a step forward, in some backward..

I had a search and noticed they (TW) seem to have all sorts of new shiney stuff. I remember with fondness the old Green Turtle Wax in the garage as a kid..

On that subject Pete's 53' does smell rather nice..

AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

The turtle wax original has been reformulated over the years anyway so it's probably new compared to when you were a kid. I like the old paste waxes reminds me of polishing my dads ambasedor.

I've got a bit bored of sites like detailingworld which seems to be very commercially focused with lots of sponsers hyping up and pushing overpriced pots of chemicals on people.
Lord Melch

Quote:
The turtle wax original has been reformulated over the years anyway so it's probably new compared to when you were a kid. I like the old paste waxes reminds me of polishing my dads ambasedor.

I've got a bit bored of sites like detailingworld which seems to be very commercially focused with lots of sponsers hyping up and pushing overpriced pots of chemicals on people.
I agree.

Ahh the old "Sponsored by"

Clean Your Car - car care products UK is a very good site - with good forum and unbiased.. Nice bunch on there and lots of good tips..

AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Agree clean your car are a good bunch, some people seem to go crazy and spend thousands! Some of the best results I've had were with a Renault Megane sold to a neighbour I spent a weekend restoring it exterior - £1.99 bottle of colour restorer polish on a £20 rotary, followed up with a £3 ebay supagard treatment. Inside standard cleaner and refresher products from the supermarket. The neightbour told me a few weeks later about how many comments he got regarding how clean the car was and that his mechanic said it was the cleanest Megane he'd ever seen. Proves you don't have to spend megabucks to get good results.
Lord Melch

Quote:
The neightbour told me a few weeks later about how many comments he got regarding how clean the car was and that his mechanic said it was the cleanest Megane he'd ever seen. Proves you don't have to spend megabucks to get good results.
Nice job, piccies ??? Noticed you don't seem to have any piccies of your Bella uploaded under your "Member Car"

AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

I have somewhere, it was about 3 years ago I did that car. I recently changed my car, had a 156 JTD and bought a 156 GTA about 3 weeks ago and haven't done anything too it yet - it didn't stop raining over the bank holiday weekend. I even took some extra time off to try and work on my Alfa and my Strada. The GTA is far from top condition, it needs a bit of paintwork, am hoping to give it a quick once over this weekend and get it booked into the bodyshop for a bit of paint before spending a little more time doing a full detail. It's got a bit of wear on the leather, a few patches where it's lost a bit of color so I was looking at buying a pot of this Leather Re-colouring Balm. If that doesn't work might have to buy a restorer kit.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera S

If it's blue/dark blue I've got leather dye you can have.
Lord Melch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRN View Post
If it's blue/dark blue I've got leather dye you can have.
On the subject or Wax or Sealant - try a Detailing Spray.

Just tried CG Pro Detailer - well impressive :

AO Member

Member car:

Brera S

Good job sir...wouldn't leave her under the tree for too long tho'

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
sealant , wax

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page