What Wax ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 35 Old 18-02-08 Thread Starter

County: Cork
Garage
Question What Wax ?

A few questions to all the experts out there.

I'm thinking of getting some new polish / wax. I've heard good reports of both Meguiars Nxt Genertion Tech Wax & Meguiars Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid Wax. Has anyone any advice on which is best / easiest to apply, I think I'd probally be getting whichever in liquid form.

Also as the car is only 6/7 weeks old I don't think I'd need to clay it s long as I remove all the tar etc.

Also thinking of getting a Meguiars mitt, which should I get microfibre or lambswool ? & is the gritguard & Water Magnet Drying Towel worth getting ?

That's all the questions I can think of for now, I'm sure I'll think of some more later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands
re: What Wax ?

I likes the Gold Class and did not the NXT.

However is it because the Gold Class smelt great (like apple pie/cola bubblegum), but the NXT seems to have done a decent job of keeping daughter's Bravo clean ( a lighter colour).

I suspect the Gold is a more traditional polish that maybe needs more frequent use and the NXT is some modern stuff that lasts longer.

HTH
AO Member

Member car:

146ti

The nxt is a good looking wax mate, unfortunately its not the most durable product, but it does a great job of filling light swirls, if you don't mind applying it every 6 weeks or so its worth a buy

Gold class is a decent enough wax too, its a nice deep looking wax, again you will need to top it up every 6 weeks or so.

For the wash routine, try and go for a microfibre (noodle) wash mitt, i have a meguiars lambs wool mitt and noticed yesterday that it can cause very tiny scratches on a cd, so thats only good for wheels now, the noodle mitts i use are great, you can feel all the nooks and crannies while washing the car

The drying towel is a better idea than a chamoi too
tcm
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

147 1.6TS

I cant comment on the waxes but i do own a meguiars microfibre mitt and drying towel, the mitt does a good job on cleaning and feels soft on the car but the fit is far from brilliant, i havent got small hands but its really lose which is irritating, but saying that id probably buy it again.

The drying towel is below the standard that ive come to expect of meguiars it's unable to dry a whole car, there are much better drying towls out there such as the miracle dryer Autoperfection

I also heard on the meguiars forum that that meguiars are unable to find a bucket in the uk that fits their gritguard, so you have to buy the meguiars bucket aswell

Hope this helps
(Post Link) post #5 of 35 Old 20-02-08 Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks for all the advice so far guys

Anymore comments ?
ode
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

A Fiat

I've only used the Gold Class waxes so can't compare them to the NXT stuff, but I've used the shampoo from both ranges and much prefer the Gold Class one..... maybe it's just on my car but it seems to give a better, deeper shine after washing than the NXT.
alfafamily

I've only used the NXT. I've found the durability to be good. The water was still beading well after 3 or 4 months. Its the best polish I've used so far on our black car, doesn't leave oily looking marks like some. You really do have to let it dry properly before buffing it though or it's a pain to get off.

AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
...Also as the car is only 6/7 weeks old I don't think I'd need to clay it s long as I remove all the tar etc.
I would still clay the car, I would be very surprised if the clay remained clean
(Post Link) post #9 of 35 Old 21-02-08 Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejackson View Post
I would still clay the car, I would be very surprised if the clay remained clean
Sounds like I'll have to do some more work than I was planning on
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Claying is easy and you will be amazed at how smooth the paint is afterwards Detailing Clay & Pre-wax Cleaning - Autopia Car Detailing Forum
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Brera SV6

I use the Gold Class and top it up with a Quik Detailer every couple of weeks. The QD only takes about 20 minutes to do the whole car and seems to work for me.
Look at the avatar.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Personally I'd buy neither, they aren't known for being very durable. Try Corrosion Protection - Rust Removal - Car Wax - Car Polish - Bilt-Hamber UK, they sell auto-clay (a massive clay bar) and auto-balm which is a very durable wax. Alternatively another favorite of mine is Autoglyms Super Resin Polish complimented by their Extra Gloss Protection.
Rosso145

Gold Class knocks spots off Autoglym on Rosso Red in my opinion and it smells nice too (as note dearlier), but I wouldn't recomend tasting it.

But the good stuff...........

Dodo Juice, which knocks even more spots off both, but it's pricey.

Dodo Juice Carnauba Wax | Buy Dodo Juice Car Wax Online - TheUltimateFinish.co.uk

AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Despite having some gold clas I've never tried it, I know it's known for a nice finish but lasts no time at all.

I'm not bothered by the smell of a product afterall I'd rather the money was spent on the best product rather than a nice fragrance which does nothing for the overall finish.

I haven't tried dodo so can't comment, it the in thing for now, I'm sure something new and more expensive will come along soon.

Collinite has very good durability so if you're a person who likes to apply once a year well work a look.

I see Autoglym has or will soon be selling "high definition wax" which is a paste wax, although the £40 price point seems very steep! Should be an interesting product High Definition Wax from Autoglym :: Welcome
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

I've still to try Meguiars, waiting to run out of my Autoglym. Thats not a bash against Autoglym, infact, so far it has been brilliant. I like the shampoo and the resin polish is pretty nice, although I only used it once (too busy )

Did try their new spray on wax today, very very good for the 10/15 mins it took to apply, especially as it included the drying of the car while applying it. Yeah, its not the best possible finish - but looks pretty smart, and did a good job of the windows as well!

Megs next probably - or might get some stuff online. Still need to get the few scratches and chips done though grrr
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

i use meguiaiar's gold class shampoo, ive not bothered waxing mine yet as i want the paintwork sorting first, but the gold class shampoo brings my silver 156 up to an excellent shine. i used meg's clay and QD, and the clay was filthy with mine, but if yours is fairly new, i would just be gentle with the clay. for removing water i use a silicone blade thingy and then a microfibre towel to "buff in" any remaining water/water swirls.

just my 2p!
Rosso145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Caine View Post
Despite having some gold clas I've never tried it, I know it's known for a nice finish but lasts no time at all.

I'm not bothered by the smell of a product afterall I'd rather the money was spent on the best product rather than a nice fragrance which does nothing for the overall finish.

I haven't tried dodo so can't comment, it the in thing for now, I'm sure something new and more expensive will come along soon.

Collinite has very good durability so if you're a person who likes to apply once a year well work a look.

I see Autoglym has or will soon be selling "high definition wax" which is a paste wax, although the £40 price point seems very steep! Should be an interesting product High Definition Wax from Autoglym :: Welcome
I bet you wouldn't buy it if it smelled disgusting and I think it's common knowledge that the fragrance of a wax/polish does nothing for the overall finish.

Last edited by Rosso145; 05-03-08 at 18:33.

(Post Link) post #18 of 35 Old 11-03-08 Thread Starter

Garage

Well i got the Meguiars microfibre mitt, Water Magnet Drying Towel & the gritguard today so at least I can give the car a good wash
Then time for the hard work
(Post Link) post #19 of 35 Old 14-03-08 Thread Starter

Garage

FYI halfords are doing a 3 for 2 offer on all car cleaning products
tcm
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Went there yesterday and bought a megs wheel brush, clay kit and got a free bottle of AG custom wheel cleaner. Used them all this morning all in all a good deal
(Post Link) post #21 of 35 Old 28-06-15 Thread Starter

Garage
Hmmm

Zombie Thread Revival

I'm trying to decide what wax to get next

I think it'll be a choice between Collinite 845 & 50.CAL PENTA WAX

There's a few cars to be done including wheels so I'm thinking maybe I'll go for the Collinite mainly because it's got a reputation for being really durable & also because it's supposed to be good on alloys. However the 50.Cal although a fairly new product is also getting good reviews for durability & results.

Anyone got any thoughts or advice ?

(I reserve the right to Ignore all advice given & make up my own mind but all comments appreciated anyway )
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GTV

colenite 845 is epic in terms of durability. Its a loose liquid wax. It goes on easy. Im not sure of the benefit of using a machine polisher to put it on. But I find its easier to apply by hand and then wipe off.

If you want a traditional solid wax I use colenite 915. I find this also pretty durable. I use the 915 now but when that runs out I might switch back to 845 or try something else just for fun.

dont believe any claim from the waxed about how great they make your car shine. These products are all about protection. Shine in more about how good your clearcoat is.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Collinite is brilliant in terms of durability and ideal as winter protection as it should last a minimum of six months.

During the summer though it's not necessary. I prefer a wax with a high carnauba content. .50 Cal Penta Wax is good as is the ever trusty Autoglym HD Wax, also a new kid on the block is Bouncers Vanilla ice.

A good carnauba based wax WILL add gloss and shine, that's what show waxes do but much comes down to good preparation and good cleaning protocols.
David P likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

Red chariot

I've read it from the beginning until I checked the date

I am still on NXT, but thought about switching to Fusso Soft99.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARnovice View Post
I've read it from the beginning until I checked the date

I am still on NXT, but thought about switching to Fusso Soft99.
Soft99 Fusso is brilliant as a winter protection, not really necessary this time of year though.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
class , gold , meguiars , nxt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page