Keeping the Shine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 34 Old 13-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV6

Keeping the Shine

Hi, I have a 2003 GTV in Alfa Red. When i bought it the garage that supplied it had in professionally cleaned & valeted. This included some minor re painting and a full mop and polish. The car looks like new.

But i have noticed if i get up close to it in the sun at certain angle I can see swirls / polish marks.

First of all... what is the best way to wash my car to protect the finish and keep it looking like that for as long as possible.

What shampoo should I use? What should I apply it with? How should I apply it? How should I dry it? What should I dry it with (have always used an expensive genuine chamois)? Is a pressure washer OK for wetting?

Should I polish it if so with what? how should I put in on and with what? what about wax?

Finally how can i get rid of the swirl marks?

I have always used Autoglym stuff, but is it really any good? Is there something better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

146ti

Re: Keeping the Shine

Hi fella,

For washing you need a good lambswool or microfibre wash mit, these are soft enough not to cause any more marks during the wash process.
Use something like meguiars gold class car wash, 2 caps in a bucket will be fine.
If you have a detergent bottle fitting for your power washer, you can pre rinse the car, then soak with some of the car wash in the detergent bottle to loosen the worst off.

Wash using 2 buckets if you can, one with the solution, one with plain water to rinse the mitt out in, this stops you transfering dirt back onto the car and causing marks.

To dry you can use a chamoi if you like, but pat dry or pull the leather off the car with the leather opened out and flat on the surface (if you use an open hose to rinse, you should find the water will sheet of and you won't have too much to dry up)

As for polishing, by hand the best stuff is autoglym super resin polish, its very good at removing light swirls and also contains filler oils to mask any heavier swirls, use microfibre towels to remove excess and buff up the shine, follow this with a good quality wax, this is a personal choice and depends what you like but something like dodo juice is very good, around 30 a pot but it competes with much more expensive wax's for shine and longevity!

Or you could go for a synthetic sealant like jeffs acrylic, these give very sharp reflections and last for months.
Hope this helps mate
Cheers,
Darran.
(Post Link) post #3 of 34 Old 13-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzo View Post
Or you could go for a synthetic sealant like jeffs acrylic, these give very sharp reflections and last for months.
Hope this helps mate
Cheers,
Darran.
is that instead of a wax?
cul
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

Dazzo.... Would you recommend useing an orbital buffer when applying super resin polish and to finish with wax?
Also whats the difference between hard and soft waxes and which is easier to use?

Last edited by cul; 13-02-08 at 17:24.
AO Member

Member car:

146ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by alza2000 View Post
is that instead of a wax?
Well, you could use the sealant first to give some long term protection, then put a wax on top if you like, this will give you a warmer gloss than just a sealant, but you can't do it the other way around as the sealant will not adhere to wax.
Its what i normally do on a detail, seal then wax
AO Member

Member car:

146ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul View Post
Dazzo.... Would you recommend useing an orbital buffer when applying super resin polish and to finish with wax?
Also whats the difference between hard and soft waxes and which is easier to use?
Sorry fella, i forgot about the pm

Well, is the buffer a rotary or random orbital?
Reason i ask is you can use srp via machine but it can dry out quite quickly on a rotary.
Use a good 2" line of polish on the pad and maybe a little quick detail spray to keep it lubricated, and spread on a low spead to get even coverage, then work it for a minute to break it down, then wipe and buff with a microfibre cloth.

Wax is best applied using a foam pad, wipe on a verythin layer in a circular fashion, then go over it in straight lines to get it nice and even.
Leave to cure for a minute then buff off.
Enjoy!
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Have a look at Guide to Detailing - Autopia Car Detailing Forum dont worry about the products they recommend, technique is more important

SRP can be applied by machine but is it such a low abrasive polish, it is almost as quick to apply by hand. I would also suggest using EGP on top of SRP for long term protection and then you can add a wax if you prefer. Give SRP at least 30 mins to cure and EGP at least 60 mins to cure.

There are plenty of alternatives to Autoglym but for a easy to buy/use product which can give great results, it is a great place to start.
cul
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejackson View Post
Have a look at Guide to Detailing - Autopia Car Detailing Forum dont worry about the products they recommend, technique is more important

SRP can be applied by machine but is it such a low abrasive polish, it is almost as quick to apply by hand. I would also suggest using EGP on top of SRP for long term protection and then you can add a wax if you prefer. Give SRP at least 30 mins to cure and EGP at least 60 mins to cure.

There are plenty of alternatives to Autoglym but for a easy to buy/use product which can give great results, it is a great place to start.

After reading that link i think i may leave the rotary buffer alone!

I want a deep shine but too frightened to leave swirl marks..
(Post Link) post #9 of 34 Old 15-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV6

Quote:
Hi fella,

For washing you need a good lambswool or microfibre wash mit, these are soft enough not to cause any more marks during the wash process.
Use something like meguiars gold class car wash, 2 caps in a bucket will be fine.
If you have a detergent bottle fitting for your power washer, you can pre rinse the car, then soak with some of the car wash in the detergent bottle to loosen the worst off.

Wash using 2 buckets if you can, one with the solution, one with plain water to rinse the mitt out in, this stops you transfering dirt back onto the car and causing marks.

To dry you can use a chamoi if you like, but pat dry or pull the leather off the car with the leather opened out and flat on the surface (if you use an open hose to rinse, you should find the water will sheet of and you won't have too much to dry up)

As for polishing, by hand the best stuff is autoglym super resin polish, its very good at removing light swirls and also contains filler oils to mask any heavier swirls, use microfibre towels to remove excess and buff up the shine, follow this with a good quality wax, this is a personal choice and depends what you like but something like dodo juice is very good, around 30 a pot but it competes with much more expensive wax's for shine and longevity!

Hope this helps mate
Cheers,
Darran.
Where can I get jeffs acrylic from? Which DoDo juive would you use on a flat red car?

Would you suggest a chamois? or is there something better? I do use an open hose to rinse.

When i wash the car I wet it all over with an open hose so it is soaked, then i dab soap all over first, hose this off then wash, if it is very dirty i will wash the bottom seperately. What are your thoughts on this?

What are your thoughts on something like diamondbrite?
AO Member

Member car:

146ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by alza2000 View Post
Where can I get jeffs acrylic from? Which DoDo juive would you use on a flat red car?

Would you suggest a chamois? or is there something better? I do use an open hose to rinse.

When i wash the car I wet it all over with an open hose so it is soaked, then i dab soap all over first, hose this off then wash, if it is very dirty i will wash the bottom seperately. What are your thoughts on this?

What are your thoughts on something like diamondbrite?
Hi mate,
You can get Jeffs from- Polished Bliss - Car Care Products - Car Care Advice - Detailing Services
As for the dodo, go with either orange crush or purple haze, they have just released sets of samples, you can get either all 8 wax's or sets of four hard wax or soft wax (theres enough to do 3 cars in each pot so they are very good value at 42 for all eight or 22.50 for 4)
You can use any of them on any colour really.
Best thing for drying is a plush waffle weave towel, these are very absorbant, and if you fancy getting really into it get a garden leaf blower to blow it dry, i use an 18v cordless one, you can get them for 20

And its better to wash the top of the car first, that way the wter running down has time to soften the worst on the lower half, use a lambswool mit on the top and a noodle mit on the lower half.

Darran.
(Post Link) post #11 of 34 Old 15-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV6

I have been looking about on line and having been thinking about the Klasse All-in-one polish & Klasse sealant glaze. Any thoughts on this? Can I wax on the top?

Can someone recommend a good lambswool mit and also decent cloths for polishing & waxing and something for drying.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Klasse AIO is a excellent product but in the UK/Europe it is known as Carlack. The Klasse SG (Carlack) is good but is a more temperamental product. You can add wax as the final step is you want.

To put it into context, consider Carlack (Klasse) to be the European version of Autoglym. AIO is a superb chemical cleaner and can be used on any surface whereas SRP cannot but SRP has some fillers which can hide the swirls, AIO has no fillers.
(Post Link) post #13 of 34 Old 15-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV6

You can buy the stuff branded as Klasse online though, how come?

Why is SG temperamental?

Which am i better off with SRP or AIO?

Then which glaze and which wax?

I am looking for an ultra high gloss shine wet look type thing and the Klasse SG sounds exactly what i'm looking for
(Post Link) post #14 of 34 Old 15-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV6

Is Jeffs a better sealant than the Klasse? what is the best recomendation?
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Klasse was the name given for the USA market but this means your buying a product which needs to be shipped from the USA to the UK whereas Carlack does not. CarLack 68 - Nano Systematic Care SG is temperamental as it must be applied in very thin layers Klasse User's Guide - Autopia Car Detailing Forum Dont let this put you off buying but compared to some of the more modern products eg Poorboys, Klasse can be a bit harder to use.

I should say my experience is with Klasse and not Carlack, which is a newer formula.

Just as an aside, the Carlack version is now available in the USA market but under a different brand name.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Jeff Werkstatt, is the same as Carlack
(Post Link) post #17 of 34 Old 15-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV6

what would you recommend?
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

You can buy Autoglym in almost every town and city in the UK and it will give good results or you could order Carlack and it will give good results. The difference between Autoglym, Carlack, Zaino etc is not huge but is mostly down to personal preference. I am not keen on Autoglym shampoo, fast glass or interior polish but this does not mean they are poor products, it is simply my preference

If you want to know more about these products and their strengths and weakness, have a look at the Detailing World forums.

To answer your question, I would be happy to use Autoglym or Carlack, Klasse is more expensive and is the 'old' formula but if you could find a cheap suppler it would still give good results
(Post Link) post #19 of 34 Old 15-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejackson View Post
Klasse was the name given for the USA market but this means your buying a product which needs to be shipped from the USA to the UK whereas Carlack does not. CarLack 68 - Nano Systematic Care SG is temperamental as it must be applied in very thin layers Klasse User's Guide - Autopia Car Detailing Forum Dont let this put you off buying but compared to some of the more modern products eg Poorboys, Klasse can be a bit harder to use.

I should say my experience is with Klasse and not Carlack, which is a newer formula.

Just as an aside, the Carlack version is now available in the USA market but under a different brand name.
what is the carlack version of klasse AIO and klasse SG?
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

From the Keepyourcarclean site "CarLack68 Systematic Care is equivalent to Klasse AIO. CarLack Long Life Sealant ’Acryl Wax’ is equivalent to Klasse SG"

Dont forget, you can also use these products on your wheels, after they have been cleaned
(Post Link) post #21 of 34 Old 18-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV6

When it comes to remove faint swirl marks left behind by previous cleaning / polishing? What is the best way & product to do this?

Will klasse all in one (carlack) polish to this? or should I use something specifically for swirls like Klasse Swirlbuster (i think that's what its called?) or is Autoglym SRP a better choice - looking on line it appears the silicon resin used by Autoglym washes away quite easily but klasse / carlack use an acrylic one which doesn't.

I have used Autoglym SRP for many years and have been very impressed by it, but even after two careful applications when i look at the paint work closely I can still see swirl marks....

The swirls i am talking about can only be seen in bright sun light from certain angles, they really are very faint. I have yet to see a car without them so I don't know if they can even be removed????
(Post Link) post #22 of 34 Old 18-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV6

can I put a wax on top of the Klasse / carlack sealant? if so which one? Dodo juice? P21?
AO Member

Member car:

146ti

The only way you can remove those swirls is by machine polishing fella, by hand you can mask them, but they will come back after a week or two unfortunately

This is a bmw i did yesterday, -

before

After

As you can see, the swirls are gone for good, but only if the owner has a very good wash routine!
(Post Link) post #24 of 34 Old 18-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV6

Quote:
The only way you can remove those swirls is by machine polishing fella, by hand you can mask them, but they will come back after a week or two unfortunately

This is a bmw i did yesterday, -

before

After

As you can see, the swirls are gone for good, but only if the owner has a very good wash routine!

Those swirls look worse than mine.

How much would a process like this cost? Is it possible to keep it swirl free?

Would I be better of regularly using Autoglym SRP to 'hide' them?

Can I use carlack sealant over SRP to 'seal' that finish?
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

For information on polishing, have a look at Polishing Paint to Perfection - Autopia Car Detailing Forum

Swirls can be removed yourself or you could pay someone, have a look at detailingworld and there might be someone near to you.

As for SRP, if it is washed away after several washes, something has gone wrong, whilst it is not designed for long term protection (thats EGP job) it should last a couple of months (depending on conditions).

The choice to hide or remove the swirls is yours, there is no right answer

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
keeping , shine

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page