help with removing window tint glue. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 06-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

help with removing window tint glue.

Hi guys.

Well today I was stopped by the boys in blue and was told that my Fiat Punto I was driving was not legal and safe. I was told that my front window tints were fractionally to dark, so I was given an option of a £60 fine plus 3 points or to take the tints off on the spot.

So I went for the wise choice of taking his generous offer and took them off on the spot.

Now Iím left with a layer of tint film glue covering my windows and having a real thought time taking it off. I was using a wire cleaning pad, which is working well, but was told by my family I should use something else since the wire pad is going to leave scratches all over my window.

Any ideas what I can use to get this glue off? and if I have caused window scratches is there quick fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

alph a ramayo

Re: help with removing window tint glue.

Try a bit of lighter fluid and a flat blade like a stanley to scrape it off , i had to remove a strip that was across my windscreen and this method did work , just took time and patience .
AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire

A good solvent based cleaner will get it off, soak a rag and hold it over a sdection at a time to let it 'seep' into the glue, it'll come off with little persuasion. Just be carefull of excess cleaner spilling or dripping
paintergirl

Nail varnish remover or thinners will do it but it takes ages and is a messy job

AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

take the glass out 1st this will stop the solvents screwing the window motor and allow easier removal
AO Platinum Member

Yes.. you just need the right solvent. Try a "Carburrettor / Choke cleaner" spray or anything with Acetone in it (nail varnish remover.. or Hammerite Thinners).

Dab a bit on the glue... let it soak a bit and then scrape off with a plastic credit card etc.

Use a lot of ventilation (both doors open) as this stuff is pretty nasty. If you get headache or feel happy stop for a few hours and get some fresh air.

Personally I'd have gone for the fine.

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
glue , removing , tint , window

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page