Help with a recent respray.. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 23-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Cornwall
Help with a recent respray..

Just had the alfa resprayed, (a 1999 GTV in Vela blue) and now need help!

Here's how it looks now,

It's been refinished in it's original Vela Blue metallic, because the previous owner had neglected the cars appearance - washed with a brush, Chipped to hell, scratched, dented etc.

When i picked the car up post respray it looked fantastic, just power polished, waxed and looking great. I've since been terrified about washing the thing for fear of inflicting new swirl marks.

Firstly, is new paint any less durable than the old finish? I've been careful to use the two bucket method and pressure wash the grit off the car, but i've noticed under Petrol station forecourt lighting the paint looks pretty scratched already (Very fine though), but in daylight it looks fine.

My other problem with the car is the paint looks gorgeous when just waxed, but immediately loses it's wet gloss and colour depth after what seems like a couple of days maximum.

I've always liked meguiars products, but working at a dealership that use autoglym stuff, I've solely used AutoGlym Ultra Deep Shine on her to date, which as i said looks great for a short length of time before losing it's wetness.

Is there a specific product or products for my very deep blue that'll bring out a true vivid blue, make the sparkle jump out of the paint and remove the "flat" looking gloss i've got at the moment?

I've got to be honest i'm prepared to put in the additional effort that it'll require to keep the car looking good, but i'm disappointed with the way the paint seems dull so soon after spending hours working on it.

The photo below is of the original paint finish - terrible photo of it before being repainted but it shows the metallic flake and the damage the car went through..

Any Help is much appreciated, I want the paint to look like it's dripping off the car! (Without paintstripper assistance..)

"molto costoso ed emozionante"

If the haynes museum find any nuts attached to a fence, Hammy'd like em back..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

146ti

Re: Help with a recent respray..

Thats a very thorough description, good man!
Its impossible to say for sure without tyring a polish on the paint but i would imagine the new paint to be a little harder than the original alfa coating.

As far as the fine scratches are concerned, they can be filled with a good polish or glaze, or even something like meguiars step2 polish, which is a glaze despite what it says and is easy to get hold of from halfords.

For the shine i think you need a sealant to start with, either poorboys ex-p or jeffs acrylic and these will make the reflections clear and sharp, if you want you can use a good wax on top, something like zymol carbon will be superb on your colour, or maybe a dodo juice like purple haze
(Post Link) post #3 of 18 Old 23-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

love that meguiars stuff, haven't seen it in a while.. I'll have a look for the two sealants you mentioned too - any recommendations about where to get them?

Thanks Dazzo!
AO Member

Member car:

146ti

Polished bliss is the best place to get them from,
Here you go- Polished Bliss - Car Care Products - Car Care Advice - Detailing Services
Darren156

Hmm, I can understand you wanting to keep the car looking its best, but I think you also have to understand that a car isn't just for shows and events. It's for driving and day to day living.

I think your car looks stunning mate, but do get you wanna find the best products available to wash and wax her with.

I'm a simple man at heart really, I use Turtle Wax Wash and Wax Car Shampoo to clean my car with, and then I use Turtle Wax Spray Wax and a lint free cloth to shine her up.

The wax lasts about a week and bubbles nicely in the rain, although it might not be as shiney as alot of other cars out there the wax has NEVER left any swirl marks anywhere on the car and it looks great. But you do have to wash and wax it once a week to keep the affect going.

Good luck mate!

And once again, GREAT looking car!!! I was thinking about one until the bargain of a Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo sprung up, £1470 for 220BHP? Not too bad!

(Post Link) post #6 of 18 Old 23-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

lol, cheers mate, the car's a daily driver, just feel she deserves to look mint..

At the garage we call it giving her a birthday..

bargain 20v Turbo, there's an import place with a P plate 16v turbo on the pitch for 3699, at least dick turpin wore a mask!!

anyway, cheers for liking the motor,
Damien_C

Very nice car. That paint is lovely. Not mad normally about blue but that is nice

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Wow, that is gorgeous! I mightn't ever have seen a nicer looking GTV V6

Even gives the Cup a run for its money I reckon

You can trust Dazzo by the way, he spent a day getting my (Vela Blu as it happens) 156 JTD looking stunning, to help with its sale.
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

hello kernowmcrae,nice car mate,i am a paint shop owner,and had a body shop for 15 years,the problem is before u got the car back from the body shop it will have been wet flated and polished,the fine scraches u see are from the super fine wet & dry where it has not been buffed up enough,or just from dirt in the water,i have the products in my shop which will help one is G10,3M finnish glaze,the other is almost the same as diamond brite but 1/3 the price and the shine will last for years give me a shout if u need any help cheer paul.
TSE
AO Member

County: Suffolk

Member car:

916 GTV

Hi Kernowmcrae,

If you are looking for a new wax to use then one that has hugely impressed me recently is Victoria Concours wax, it is about 18 a pot but gives a cracking finish and the durability is good as well. I did a few tests and a coat gave a great finish and good water beading for up to a couple of months.

Their quick detailer is superb too and is great for bringing out the shine after washes once you have applied the wax. Once you have washed the car give it a few sprays with this and it really brings out the shine (it smells great too!!)

Another option would be, if you are prepared to buy some Zymol HD-Cleanse to prep the paint then I am sure I might be able to find you enough for a couple of coats of Zymol Ital. I've got so many waxes in my collection and would be happy to put you enough for a couple of coats in the post.

Roy
(Post Link) post #11 of 18 Old 24-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

The victoria wax sounds cool, Will give that a look - where do you source yours from? (If i can buy it direct from you, so much the better!

Interested in the Zymol stuff if only for the pedigree of having something designed for italian paint..
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Treat it as a posh watch. No scratches on the crystal, no scratches on the waterproof screw back? Just move the miniature polishing care, mirror finish, of watches and jewelry, and expand on that, for car bodywork care, if you follow my train of thought.:
TSE
AO Member

County: Suffolk

Member car:

916 GTV

You can get the Victoria Concours wax from Clean Your Car - car care products UK

If you are interested in the Zymol then just PM your address and I will sort it out.

Roy
(Post Link) post #14 of 18 Old 24-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

PM sent - can't wait to give it a go. Not working this Sunday, so I'll borrow the keys for the valet bay..
AO Silver Member

County: Fife

Member car:

500 twinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzo View Post
Polished bliss is the best place to get them from,
Here you go- Polished Bliss - Car Care Products - Car Care Advice - Detailing Services
I use Elite Car Care for all my stuff, the guys a great help if you want any advice too and if you order early enough you'll get it the next day......I've made about 5 fairly sizeable orders now with no complaints.
Over £60 order has free delivery which is also good!
(Post Link) post #16 of 18 Old 05-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Just a quick update, TSE's sent me the wax today! It smells gorgeous, now just waiting for the weekend of valeting fun hehe.

A big thanks to everyone for their advice, and an even bigger thankyou to TSE for letting me pinch some wax!
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
any chance you could give me a clue on the cost to respray a gtv??? Thanks
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Best thing you can do to keep the paintwork immaculate is to look at your washing method. By this I mean 2 bucket method and microfibre washmitts.

Basically, one bucket with shampoo in and a rinse bucket with warm water in it. You load the washmitt (if you have a sponge, cut it in to smaller pieces and use it for wheels/tyres, but not on the paintwork) with the shampoo from the first bucket, wash a panel and then rinse the washmitt out in the rinse bucket so that all the dirt and crud stays in the rinse bucket and not in the shampoo bucket.

It's also worth having two washmitts, one for exclusively cleaning the bottom half of the car.

This is the only way you will avoid swirls. Also, new paint will be a little soft for a while, so lay off the polish for a while. Get yourself a good wax, Megs #16 is great stuff and cheap. No problem with applying wax to new paint, and keep it waxed, i.e. bodywork continues to beed water.

Wax will help keep the car cleaner aswell. You should'nt need to remove swirl marks etc as it's brand new paint, so steer clear of medium to heavy cut polishes unless you really have to use them. In your situation i'd use Autoglym super resin polish, it's fantastic stuff and adds a bit of protection aswell. And because it uses fillers to mask any swirls/scratches theres no chance of it damaging the paint or inducing swirlmarks itself.

Oh BTW, it looks fantastic. Take a few more close up shots so we can enjoy looking at her a bit more.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
recent , respray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page