theshinexperience: Ferrari 360 Spider - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 23-01-08 Thread Starter
TSE
AO Member

County: Suffolk

Member car:

916 GTV

theshinexperience: Ferrari 360 Spider

Hello All,

Well as promised yesterday here is the writeup of todays job.

I have to apologise in advance for the poor quality of the photos, the lighting conditions were less than ideal as the car was in an underground car park, so very few of the photos I took are of any use sadly.

Well this is the beast that greeted me this morning.

The owner had decided to go for a full correction detail as he is looking to sell the car and wanted it to look its best for potential buyers.

First job was to wash the car. It was already pretty clean as it is stored in an underground carpark and not used that often. The two bucket method was used (one bucket of clean water and then a second with cleaning products and water in) My choice of shampoo for the detail was Swissvax Car Bath.

Once the car had been washed I then sprayed a citrus degreaser over all the paintwork, this helps remove any remaining road grime and grease. The car was then washed with clean water and dried.

The next step was to clay the entire car, including all the glass.
As mentioned earlier the car is not used as a daily drive so the clay bar did not pick up much.

As you can see for a whole car there really wasnt much too speak of with regards to bonded contaminants.

Next step when doing a correction detail is to tape up the parts of the car that you do not want to touch when machine polishing. It is also advisable to tape up areas around trim where product dust may get in to.

As I go along I also tape up the panel gaps so as to stay away from the very edge of the panel where it is easiest to cause damage to the paint.

When carrying out a correction detail it is important to take a number of readings on a paint thickness guage, so that you know exactly how much paint you have to play with. It is normal to expect 120-180 microns, however on some cars you can see readings as low as 55-60 or on a panel which has been resprayed you can see readings in excess of 300-500 +.

This particular car was reasonably consistent, measuring roughly 180 microns across most panels, however there did seem to be a few panels that had seen some respray as there were readings over 350 microns.

I tried my very best to take a photo that showed the swirl marks on this car but a combination of the colour and also the very poor lighting conditions meant that it was practically impossible. The photo below was the best I could do!

Ok, so once taped up it was time to crack on with the machine correction. I carry a large number of different polishes and pads for the job and each cars paint has it's own characteristics, some being very soft such as Honda and others being rock hard such as a lot of new Audi's. Alfa tends to be somewhere inbetween but I have found GTAs that have been incredibly thin and rock hard, which is not a good combination.

This particular car needed a really easy combination of 3M Blue polishing pad and Menzerna FA final finish polish. Once completed I then went over a few parts of the car with 3M Ultrafine polish just as I am currently really enjoying this product and I feel it gives the finish an extra gloss. For all you keen "car polishers" it is worth noting that
3M Ultrafine polish contains fillers, so make sure you have already achieved a swirl free finish before you use it otherwise you may be simply masking them only for the dreaded swirls to reappear.

So once the correction was complete it was on with the rest of the job. Zymol HD-Cleanse was used to prepare the paintwork for the wax, which today was Swissvax Mystery.

The wax was applied with a foam applicator and left to cure. Whilst this was happening I cracked on with the rest of the car, the exhausts were polished. The photo below shows the results after one had been polished.

The seals around the doors were cleansed, glass polished, tyres treated and door shuts cleansed and waxed.

The Mystery was then buffed off and I went on to my final job, a bit of a clean on the engine bay and what a fantastic engine it is. The owner had not asked for this but it seemed a shame to leave it not looking its best.

Right so thats that for this one. The wheels also benefitted from a coat of Swissvax Mystery.

Again apologies for the quality of the final photos but hopefully you get an idea of how great it looked. It is said very often but you the finish always looks much better in real life.

The final job was to wipe the car down with a quick spray of Zaino Z-8 which gives the finish that final zing!

I hope you enjoyed the writeup and I promise better photos next time, including much better correction ones!

Thanks for looking.

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

Re: theshinexperience: Ferrari 360 Spider

Thanks Roy, some very good tips there
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Brera S

Excellent Roy , have to get some 3M products. Quite hard to find in Scotland.
How long did the complete job take?
(Post Link) post #4 of 21 Old 24-01-08 Thread Starter
TSE
AO Member

Member car:

916 GTV

Hi,

I started at 6am and finished at about 5pm so about 11 hours on that one. It can be a lot longer sometimes.

I am currently sat in my van with the rain pouring down, so it looks like todays job (Golf R32) might not get done!

If you are looking for 3M products then try Autoperfection

They stock a lot of their stuff.

Cheers,

Roy
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

Mate you really need to get a better camera or a tripod, I'm sure you do a great job but the photo's here just don't show it, same can be said for your website i'm afraid.

This is my local detailing outfits site, they did a 360 Spider too.

Executive Detailing - Professional valeting
(Post Link) post #6 of 21 Old 24-01-08 Thread Starter
TSE
AO Member

Member car:

916 GTV

Hi Ghosty,

Yep tripod is on order, as mentioned the lighting didn't help on this occassion.

With regards to your last post, are you not a fan of my site?!?

Roy
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSE View Post
Hi Ghosty,

Yep tripod is on order, as mentioned the lighting didn't help on this occassion.

With regards to your last post, are you not a fan of my site?!?

Roy
The site looks great mate, it's just the photographs on it do not do justice to the quality of your work and I feel would impact on potential customers using you just by viewing the site?

A picture says a thousand words so they say
(Post Link) post #8 of 21 Old 24-01-08 Thread Starter
TSE
AO Member

Member car:

916 GTV

Cheers Ghosty.

New camera was purchased last weekend but there was a problem with it so couldn't use it on the Ferrari detail, going to exchange it on Saturday. Hopefully then picture quality should improve, oh and the tripod too!

(The rain has stopped so can crack on with the R32 now)

Roy
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSE View Post
Cheers Ghosty.

New camera was purchased last weekend but there was a problem with it so couldn't use it on the Ferrari detail, going to exchange it on Saturday. Hopefully then picture quality should improve, oh and the tripod too!

(The rain has stopped so can crack on with the R32 now)

Roy
Good good, there's quite a few folk on here who are well into photography, if you have trouble getting the results you want give people like Fraser a shout, I'm sure they'd be happy to give advice.

Look forward to seeing the results
AO Silver Member

Nice car, great job. Posts like this always fill me with enthusiasm and then say something like it took 11 hours.
AO Platinum Member

I have to ask Roy... is that really your last name?

What does your signature look like
(Post Link) post #12 of 21 Old 24-01-08 Thread Starter
TSE
AO Member

Member car:

916 GTV

Yep it is indeed my real name! Its a great business tool as people never forget meeting or speaking to me!
AO Platinum Member

What does it mean?
(Post Link) post #14 of 21 Old 24-01-08 Thread Starter
TSE
AO Member

Member car:

916 GTV

I have to say I have no idea! Doh!

You wouldn't believe the variations on it I get when people call me up from companies!
AO Platinum Member

It's a good thing you've got a relatively concise first name then
Founder of AO

County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Thanks Roy, I really enjoy reading that.
AO Member

Brilliant work there mate. With regards to paint hardness though, I always thought that Alfa (FIAT SpA) paint was very soft relative to most other marques..?
When I first started on my 147, I went straight to Menzerna IP on a light-cutting pad, only to find out on other panels later that the same complete correction could have been done with FF.
Do you use a rotary or RO polisher?
Unregistered

County: -

Member car:

GT cloverleaf Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC7671 View Post
Nice car, great job. Posts like this always fill me with enthusiasm and then say something like it took 11 hours.

i know exactly how you feel!

keep up the good work though mate
AO Gold Member

County: South Africa
Garage

Member car:

Mito QV

Thanks Roy, very nice job :aaANYWORD:
(Post Link) post #20 of 21 Old 26-01-08 Thread Starter
TSE
AO Member

Member car:

916 GTV

Hi Sirocco,

Certainly Alfa paint isn't the hardest but it does seem to vary across models. I am doing Nomad's Brera next week so will give you an update on that one.

I use rotary but also carry a PC for use on some bumpers and also tighter areas.

Roy
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Speaking of paint hardness. The paint on my old 164 was very soft, the paint on my silver 156 is ultra hard. The 156 paint must surely come from some secret military experiments. Even using 4" pads and Power Gloss with my PC, very little happened

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
360 , ferrari , spider , theshinexperience

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page