Well as promised yesterday here is the writeup of todays job.
I have to apologise in advance for the poor quality of the photos, the lighting conditions were less than ideal as the car was in an underground car park, so very few of the photos I took are of any use sadly.
Well this is the beast that greeted me this morning.
The owner had decided to go for a full correction detail as he is looking to sell the car and wanted it to look its best for potential buyers.
First job was to wash the car. It was already pretty clean as it is stored in an underground carpark and not used that often. The two bucket method was used (one bucket of clean water and then a second with cleaning products and water in) My choice of shampoo for the detail was Swissvax Car Bath.
Once the car had been washed I then sprayed a citrus degreaser over all the paintwork, this helps remove any remaining road grime and grease. The car was then washed with clean water and dried.
The next step was to clay the entire car, including all the glass.
As mentioned earlier the car is not used as a daily drive so the clay bar did not pick up much.
As you can see for a whole car there really wasnt much too speak of with regards to bonded contaminants.
Next step when doing a correction detail is to tape up the parts of the car that you do not want to touch when machine polishing. It is also advisable to tape up areas around trim where product dust may get in to.
As I go along I also tape up the panel gaps so as to stay away from the very edge of the panel where it is easiest to cause damage to the paint.
When carrying out a correction detail it is important to take a number of readings on a paint thickness guage, so that you know exactly how much paint you have to play with. It is normal to expect 120-180 microns, however on some cars you can see readings as low as 55-60 or on a panel which has been resprayed you can see readings in excess of 300-500 +.
This particular car was reasonably consistent, measuring roughly 180 microns across most panels, however there did seem to be a few panels that had seen some respray as there were readings over 350 microns.
I tried my very best to take a photo that showed the swirl marks on this car but a combination of the colour and also the very poor lighting conditions meant that it was practically impossible. The photo below was the best I could do!
Ok, so once taped up it was time to crack on with the machine correction. I carry a large number of different polishes and pads for the job and each cars paint has it's own characteristics, some being very soft such as Honda and others being rock hard such as a lot of new Audi's. Alfa tends to be somewhere inbetween but I have found GTAs that have been incredibly thin and rock hard, which is not a good combination.
This particular car needed a really easy combination of 3M Blue polishing pad and Menzerna FA final finish polish. Once completed I then went over a few parts of the car with 3M Ultrafine polish just as I am currently really enjoying this product and I feel it gives the finish an extra gloss. For all you keen "car polishers" it is worth noting that
3M Ultrafine polish contains fillers, so make sure you have already achieved a swirl free finish before you use it otherwise you may be simply masking them only for the dreaded swirls to reappear.
So once the correction was complete it was on with the rest of the job. Zymol HD-Cleanse was used to prepare the paintwork for the wax, which today was Swissvax Mystery.
The wax was applied with a foam applicator and left to cure. Whilst this was happening I cracked on with the rest of the car, the exhausts were polished. The photo below shows the results after one had been polished.
The seals around the doors were cleansed, glass polished, tyres treated and door shuts cleansed and waxed.
The Mystery was then buffed off and I went on to my final job, a bit of a clean on the engine bay and what a fantastic engine it is. The owner had not asked for this but it seemed a shame to leave it not looking its best.
Right so thats that for this one. The wheels also benefitted from a coat of Swissvax Mystery.
Again apologies for the quality of the final photos but hopefully you get an idea of how great it looked. It is said very often but you the finish always looks much better in real life.
The final job was to wipe the car down with a quick spray of Zaino Z-8 which gives the finish that final zing!
I hope you enjoyed the writeup and I promise better photos next time, including much better correction ones!
Thanks for looking.